New to driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to driving and have 2 minis, 38-40". They are both 4 years old and just started training this spring after I adopted them. I have a trainer helping me but she trains driving to large horses usually. My questions are 1) where is the best place to buy mini driving equipment? 2) exactly what do I need? I know my trainer knows to some degree, but was wondering if mini equipment was different at all. 3) what is everyone's favorite band cart?

2) basically you need a cart that fits your horse and is well balanced and a harness that fits. Also depending on what or where you are going to show you may need a whip (see rules) and appropriate clothing.

3) favorite brand of cart will also depend on what you plan to do. At breed shows such as AMHR and AMHA the "favorite" is Jerald but for obstacle classes (even at breed shows) a Graber looks much like the Jerald , costs less, is lighter and narrower wheel base (this comes in handy sometimes in the obstacle driving). I can't answer if you're looking for CDE or other driving.

Well, basically, I don't plan on doing any showing for a while if ever. But I still want a good quality cart that maybe sits 2 people. We have a long dirt driveway and would want it to also ride nicely on grass. It's just something I want to get into for fun with my kids and family for now, and we will see about showing in the future. The trainer I have helping me trains standard Breds and morgans and was wondering if the gear and brand of gear is still the same for minis. I haven't purchased anything yet. We just started them this spring and they are ready to get some gear on soon! They got introduced to the bit while being lunged yesterday.

You won't go wrong with anything purchased from minitack.com

They sell a pleasure harness for $250 that is a perfect starter harness. It's the cheapest harness I'd recommend... Anything cheaper will be poor quality. If you find that you are really enjoying driving and want to really start putting miles in, you can upgrade to a more comfy, sturdy harness for your horses.

As for carts, the easy entry cart is usually where people start. They are cheap, sturdy, and do fit two. Again, as you drive more you may want to upgrade to a cart that is lighter and easier on your horses. The easy entry carts are about $600 new. Buy from a reputable dealer, and again if you spot them for cheaper somewhere it may be a brand that cuts corners and you may find the seat breaking in half or something...

Glad you're working with a trainer. If you buy the cart and harness they can surely get your little ones started.

Have fun,

Andrea

I second the suggestion of www.minitack.com

Their pleasure harness is very nice for the price and if you want something one step up from that then their carriage harness is the eay to go.

For carts I highly recommend the mini cart from www.alpinemanufacturing.com - these are nice quality and are very comfortable to ride in. Their cart should fit your horses too. If you decide to buy a metal EE cart (and I do have the CTM sold by Ozark) I would suggest getting one with 54" shafts--the standard mini shafts are 48" and they are small for a 38" horse.

Thank you guys for your help! I think I'll get the pleasure harness to start and also the Easy entry with the 54" shafts! Thanks again! I'm very excited!!

Latest posts

Back