New Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaepony

Reaction score
I have been in horses my whole life but am new to minis. I just purchased this 10 yr old, 28.5" liver chestnut stallion for $500 from an old couple getting out of the buisness. At the time I felt I was getting a good deal though I also felt sorry for the poor guy; these people either didn't know enough about horses or just didn't care. His coat was dull and he was in sever need of his teeth being floated. I talked them down from $700. He had a vet check-up today and his dental work will be a couple hundred (his teeth are a bit crooked). Though I am happy he is in a good home now and will be much happier after his teeth are fixed; did I make a good move $wise. I just want the truth, I won't be too disapointed knowing I should have possibly paid less I am just happy to get him the help he needs.

I can put a picture on if someone can tell me how to do it.
rolleyes.gif

>I am really looking forward to seeing him after he puts on wieght and his coat shines up

If you are happy with a horse you buy, then it was NEVER too expensive!
smile.gif

Five hundred is dirt cheap for a mini (at least in my neck of the woods), and you do have to always remember when buying dirt cheap, there may be several things "wrong" with the horse that will need money to fix, like with your boy's teeth. A "cheap" mini can end up costing as much as a moderately priced one, or more, once you are done with all the care they need to get them up to speed.

I don't think you spent too much on him, personally.

You probably didn't overpay at $500 even if he is to be a pet. Sometimes you luck into something great for under $1000, but generally a quality show/breeding stallion prospect is going to be much more than that. Lots of nice stallions out there from $2500 to $10,000...and up. Glad he's found a good home with you, hope you enjoy your new little guy.

Jan

Thats soooo funny, I was in the same boat. Bought this little gelding for my daughter. 500 bucks jeez thats alot of money! Never had one before just quarters and th-breds. National hunter champ, top ten in showmanship, obstacle, and driving ever year at nationals. Boy did we steal him huh??? So every now and then you luck out! In long run he was the most expensive as he lead us to 10 more!
aktion033.gif

Look what you've done for him and for the couple and now for you. Not too much. How bout a pic? If you love him he's perfect...no matter. Send me the pic and I'll post it for you. [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
If YOU like him and he is within your budget and you have the means to care for him, he was definately not too much.

Everyone has different tastes and what one person would consider a steal at $2,000.oo another person might consider overpriced at $500.oo. I think $500.oo is cheap for good pet quality. My humble opinion.

I don't know where you'd get a pet quality horse for much less than you paid. I hope you will enjoy him!

I personally do not think you overpaid, even if you decide to geld him and use him as a companion -- $500.00 sounds reasonable to me.

Latest posts

Back