New stallion...questions...and critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
..Raptures Rowdy Royal Champion..what color would you call this boy.?.he is my new grandson of rowdy.his sire has blue eyes (his pic is below also) his dam appears a sorrel...as far as pattern ..is he splash or possible tobiano? all i know is i like him...lol

as far as conformation..what do you think? his neck has never been sweated..but i will before showing..i think hed do well in halter myself or driving..he has a very nice trot and good action. thanks all!

Cooper_1.jpg

_facebook951484236181.jpg

cooper_5.jpg

555251_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall I like him, its hard to say, but he looks back at the knee, although that could just be his markings. Nice neck, a little thick in the throatlatch. I'd call him tobiano. He looks like a nice little boy, well proportioned
default_smile.png
How tall is he?

I'd call him tobiano but with white on the face and those lines I'd be testing for other things as well, especially LWO.

the three pics is him..he is 32 inches..dad is the other..if you google t bar t rowdy champion his sire has a better pic...the flaxen mane and tail make me think silver bay...he is dark for a chestnut...but i may be wrong.i was thinking tobiano also.here is a video showing just how dark he is

I like him, but then I am a big Rowdy fan. Because of the Rowdy blood and the white on his face I would strongly urge you to test him for lethal white (LWO). At the same time, I would test for black/red, tobiano, silver and agouti which would tell you what color he is and what he can pass on. If he is chestnut, he could hide silver and/or agouti so testing would be the only way to tell. Of course I tend to test a lot but that would tell you so much about him and possibly save you heartache if .he is LWO+. Tobiano usually has white that crosses the back between the withers and tail, but I am sure there are exceptions that someone will point out. But I would be pretty sure he has some OTHER pinto patterns even if he is tobiano.

He's tobi. He is thick in the neck and he is chunky. But I like him for the most part.

I really like this boy and would be happy to own him. I think he's nicely balanced, smooth and in lovely condition. Not overly refined and not too beefy either. Neck sweating will make him look even better. Like his colouring too. Appears to be tobiano but no doubt, is hiding other colours. Do I see a tiny white chin spot? And definitely test for frame. Looking at one pic, he appears to maybe be parrot-mouthed. I hope I'm just seeing things. I really do.

Lizzie

he does have a chin spot..the pic does make him look parrot mouthed too .he had his mouth open slightly..lol...i guess ill test for everything..im curious as to what color to call him...chestnut?

At a guess I'd say flaxen chestnut rather then silver bay, obviously testing will say one way or another. I like him, there is an overall balance to him which is always nice to see
default_smile.png

He does appear to be a dark chestnut with possibly some sooty countershading. I don't think he's silver, since his mane appears to be too yellow and he doesn't seem to have white eyelashes. His white chin indicates some type of sabino in there. He doesn't seem to have much indication of splash, since it likes to keep lots of white on the face and over the eyes. Sabino, likes to keep colour around the eyes and a true tobiano, keeps all white off the face.

Regardless, he's lovely. So when you give up trying to decide his colour, just send him off to me.

Lizzie

I'm no help on the color or on a formal critique - I just like what I like!
default_yes.gif
And I do like him! I like his build, his overall balance as others have said. I really like that he isn't too narrow in the chest and has a nice rounded hind end. Beautiful boy!

I feel like I've seen him somewhere....I remember thinking that he needed a sweat and that he was nicely built.

Did you buy him from one of the auctions? I know I've seen him somewhere

I believe he was on an online auction, I watched him there and like him, but don't really need a stallion. I love the dark color (I have a liver chestnut paso fino mare). Was he wet in the photo's or is he really that dark, regardless I really like him!

I do not think he is Silver Bay, he is Chestnut Pinto- I would say he is Tobiano base + Sabino and Splash, BUT I would definitely test him for LWO- you can test for Splash now too, although I still have a few doubts myself........No point in testing for Sabino, really, unless you opt for a test that does the lot at a reduced price! If he does not have Sab1 he can still be Sabino, and if he has a chin spot it is likely.

He is a nice, overweight (!) pretty well balanced chap. Take the weight off him slow and sure (I am sure I do not need to tell you that) and get him into harness- that is where I think he will excel

he was on the seller select auction and did not sell...As I was in the market for a new stallion...i came across him while asking for critiques if two very well bred..but obviosly malnutritioned colts.i was looking at seller select at a few stallions and none really struck my fancy...so i was offered this boy..at a very good price i might add.i instantly fell in love.i think he will cross nicely with my mares.so he will be coming home in october!

Heather he is a very handsome boy! When will you showing and breeding him? Congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adorable little chunk! I like him. I think he's a chestnut. He looks really dark in those pictures because he looks like he might be wet.

Yep looks like a chestnut tobiano to me too. Nice boy. I agree with his thick neck- that needs sweating.

Latest posts

Back