New Puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^T-bird89^

Reaction score
Okay, well I just got a new puppy from someone who couldn't keep him. (So its a boy). He is an Australian Cattle Dog (a RED heeler). His name is ZIP right now but i don't like that. He is only about 7weeks old I think, and I want to give him a unique western name. I'm not 100% sure I can keep him at this point, but does anyone have any name ideas?

(I'll post pics tomorrow- I just got him a couple hours ago!!!)

Aww... How's about STETSON? WRANGLER? CHAPS? TEX?

I have a friend with a dog named Roper.......or how about Dallas, Dusty, Garrett, Apache, Scout or Bullet? OK, my brain is fried now...........good luck and can't wait to see pic's.

Alicia

The only one that I can think of right now is "Slim". When I was little, we lived on a good sized farm and had a farm hand named Slim. He was a pretty neat feller.

Congratulations on the new puppy, I hope you get to keep him
default_yes.gif
:

Dally, Spur, Ty, Cash, Red

Guess that's all I can come up with right now.

My nephew had a blue heeler named Tack. I've always thought Cowboy would be a cool name too. I had a Rotty for about 3 days that I was going to name that but my other coonhound decided he couldn't live here. :no:

Hey, Congrats on your new little puppy. How about an Australian - Western name of Quigley (Down Under??) Just came to me. I really like that movie.

default_thumbup.gif
: Keeping my fingers crossed that you get to keep him.

Congrats on your pup, hope you get to keep him. I'd love to see pictures!

I was thinking Cowboy too.

Tumbleweed (or Tumbles for short)

Dusty

Cutter

Roper (I like that one:~) )

Bo

Tye

Jack

Wrangler

Gunner

Spur

~Karen

How about:

Maverick

Carson (Kit Carson)

Cisco (Cisco the Kid)

Colt (revolver)

Drifter

Ranger

Dillion

McCloud

Marshal

Gunslinger

Wyatt (Wyatt Earp)

Doc (Doc Holiday)

Rustler (get it... a herding dog rustling cattle or horses :eek: )

Gambler

Undertaker (I know, a bit morbid but one my husband would love
default_sad.png
)

Hank

Waylon

Hoyt

Pardner (as in Howdy Pardner)

Ace (or Aces-high)

Tombstone (Stone for short)

Lariat (get it... catches a cow with one)

Rawhide

Spur

Rodeo (another play on words... a cattle roundup)

I am out of ideas for the moment.

Geesh, all those names and no one recommended "Cinch" yet? (at least I didn't see it).

and some more:

Buckle (after all, what is a cowboy without a giant belt buckle?)

Fender

Latigo

Poke (small bag to carry personal belongings)

Brand

Cavvy (ranch outfit's saddle horses)

Slick (horse or cow w/no brand, tag or earmark)

Peeler (the hand that breaks horses)

:aktion033: Okay thanks for all the great ideas!!! Keep them coming! I thought of about 100 names and alot of them are on here so I'm on the right track for something western! I also liked Tucker, Tanner, Skid, Skip, and Andy- not really cowboy but i like them. I just want a lot to see what fits. lol. Oh and here are the pics I promised!
default_wub.png
:

P4230067.jpg

P4230068.jpg

P4230069.jpg

I really hope i can keep him but i have to talk to my stepdad first. Mom's a sucker for cute faces like me and she already said yes. :bgrin

mom did not say yes... but mom did not say no either... that's because mom :bgrin knows how much you miss your Sadie
default_wub.png
: (for the forum, Sadie was also a red queensland heeler, she died a couple of years ago)

and yes your mom is a sucker for any baby... :eek: which is why we already have EIGHT DOGS
default_wacko.png
:

i still like Cyrus the best (because when Lindsey was little she loved Billy Ray Cyrus - and i like unusual names, i don't think there are too many dogs named Cyrus out there!)

you should have taken a picture of him from the back or top - to show his spots!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwe, your puppy is adorable! .... look at me, already calling him yours
default_wub.png
: How could anyone say no to such a cutie? I love that last picture of him, looks like he's smiling for the camera.

~Karen

Awwe, your puppy is adorable! .... look at me, already calling him yours
default_wub.png
: How could anyone say no to such a cutie? I love that last picture of him, looks like he's smiling for the camera.~Karen

oh Karen, i love my husband dearly but he IS a tough nut to crack. i am still in the "doghouse" from our number 8 LOL... and Shasta is a year old now.
default_rolleyes.gif
: i am such a sucker for any kind of animal babies that i have to stay out of this one... on the one hand i really want Lindsey to be able to keep him, because of losing Sadie, and on the other hand, she is about to start college, just got her first job a couple of months ago and is already having a little trouble juggling school and work and of course what gets left out is her chores at home... if she keeps this little guy and he has a long healthy life he will still be around long after she turns 30, and she is just turning 18 this month. it's a lot to take on when you look at it like that. however, back to the other side of the argument, i know that a dog adds so much to life and i would never be without several myself... i want her to be happy but i want her to take a serious look at the next few years of her life because the dog deserves to be happy too..

Back