New puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyZ

Reaction score
We brought home a new puppy 3 weeks ago.
default_wub.png
:

A little Bichon Frise boy.

His name is Kubota and he has been providing us with hours of entertainment in between his naps.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to get rid of or prevent the brown tear stains that he gets on his nice white fur. I bought a bottle of tear stain remover, but he's so small and wiggly I'm afraid that I'm going to get it in his eyes and it really doesn't seem to remove the staining.

Thanks for looking.

Kubotaandball.jpg

While I can't give suggestions about the tear stains....I certainly think your little one is a doll baby!!
default_wub.png
:

My advice??

Don't do a thing- the more you wipe the worse it will get.

It is ususally a faulty tear duct that seems to be endemic in this breed.

Keep them clean with a hypoallergenic baby wipe and leave them to sort them selves.

When he has his first clip get them ot take all the hair away form the eyes- if you are not showing do not keep in full coat.

Good Luck- this is the only breed I have ever given up on!!!!!

Thankyou so much for the nice comments.

Rabbit, now I just HAVE to ask you why this is the only breed that you've ever given up on??

When I was looking into the Bichon's, all I received was positive remarks from people that I asked.

You've gotten me a little worried now.

I have NEVER sent a dog back before, NEVER!!

I always have a small dog to breed and show and Bichons were the "dog of the moment" and a friend had a litter for sale...so, well, you get the picture.

All went well for the first month or so apart form the fact that I could not house train it ( i could not even crate train it) and the fact that it yapped all night- now remember I have four other dogs, even when it was crated it was not alone!!!

I did try letting it up on my bed but it peed on the bed as well.

Then there was the horses- my dogs go everywhere with me but this little dog went where she pleased and I did not have time to stop what I was doing and find her every two minutes.

She had tags on her collar telling people where to bring her back to- she was that bad!!

She was also like a SPONGE- she saw a muddy puddle and she sucked it up- and remember I had her in full show coat all the time.

No point in trying to train her either and, although I have heard people say Bichons are smart....let's just say I have not met one yet and I've had a few through my training classes and it is NOT just the owners.

If you want a cute , fluffy, high maintenance non- waterproof pet dog, they fit the bill.

I don't- luckily for my pampered pooch she is now living in the manner to which she very quickly became accustomed being waited on hand and foot by two loyal servants!!!

They are cute, no getting away from it, but they are not hardy dogs- I should have got a poodle!!!

My next small dog shall be a Mini Schnauzer- now there's a real dog!!

Very sorry, Bichon lovers, to each their own!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have NEVER sent a dog back before, NEVER!!

I always have a small dog to breed and show and Bichons were the "dog of the moment" and a friend had a litter for sale...so, well, you get the picture.

All went well for the first month or so apart form the fact that I could not house train it ( i could not even crate train it) and the fact that it yapped all night- now remember I have four other dogs, even when it was crated it was not alone!!!

I did try letting it up on my bed but it peed on the bed as well.

Then there was the horses- my dogs go everywhere with me but this little dog went where she pleased and I did not have time to stop what I was doing and find her every two minutes.

She had tags on her collar telling people where to bring her back to- she was that bad!!

She was also like a SPONGE- she saw a muddy puddle and she sucked it up- and remember I had her in full show coat all the time.

No point in trying to train her either and, although I have heard people say Bichons are smart....let's just say I have not met one yet and I've had a few through my training classes and it is NOT just the owners.

If you want a cute , fluffy, high maintenance non- waterproof pet dog, they fit the bill.

I don't- luckily for my pampered pooch she is now living in the manner to which she very quickly became accustomed being waited on hand and foot by two loyal servants!!!

They are cute, no getting away from it, but they are not hardy dogs- I should have got a poodle!!!

My next small dog shall be a Mini Schnauzer- now there's a real dog!!

Very sorry, Bichon lovers, to each their own!!!

LOL!! Too funny Jane!! Now I feel that exact way about Miniature Pinschers! LOL! I have had one for 5 years and I will NEVER EVER get another one! I am not one to get rid of dogs, so he's here until he goes over the Rainbow Bridge, but I will never get over him being such a stubborn thing and having to search all over our 5 acres to find him when he won't come. I've never had such a independent dog who looked at me, knew EXACTLY what I want and then chooses to do something else! My other dogs have all been well trained and obey. Not this one. He's darn lucky he's cute and warm, otherwise he wouldn't be sleeping on my lap as I type this
default_wink.png
:

RallyZ, your pup is adorable
default_wub.png
: and don't worry, I'm certain Kubota is the right dog for YOU and that's all that matters.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:

LOL. Thanks for the explanation Jane.

Jane and Kathy, your Bichon and MinPin sound just like our Jack Russell.

We swore we would NEVER have another. She was 17 when she passed away a few months ago. 17 years was a long time to put up with the barking, peeing, stubborness and wandering, but we loved her and she loved nothing better than to curl up on a lap for a cuddle.
default_wub.png
:

We looked into the Mini Schnauzers the MinPins and decided against either of those in favour of the Bichon.
default_wacko.png
:

Kathy, thanks for the reassuring comment. We sure are hoping that he works out well. :bgrin

So far, so good..... other than the tear staining, which is more of an esthetic issue for me.

I'm sure he will be fine for you too- if we were all the same it would be a very boring world!!!

As I said this is the ONLY dog I have ever given up on, and she went back to her breeder and then on to this bloke in London, so she gets to be an "in the scene" dog!!!

Tear stains aren't always caused by a genetic defect. When that happens, the tear duct may be leaking, irritated by a hair, or over producing tears, etc. The resulting wetness below the eye causes a type of yeast/bacterial growth resulting in the discoloration you see. Somtimes tear stains can be a reaction to the environment, the food the dog is eating or even the minerals in their water, ETC. In the past I've had great success with getting the tear stains on my Toy Poodle to be less noticable by giving him distilled water. There are also many products available to help clean up and/or cover up the staining and though I've not tried it, I've heard great things about the product "Eye Envy." Having your groomer keep the area clipped short will also help so long as the skin does not become too irritated by the clipper.

Bichons can be wonderful dogs, just like any other breed. Your's looks like a little cutie. Some puppy socialization and obedience classes would be fun for your family and do her good.
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nicole.

He gets filtered water now, but I'll try distilled instead and I'll also look for the Eye Envy.

He has to go in for another set of shots so I'll ask the vet about a possible diet change.

We are planning on taking him to obedience classes, but I've never heard of puppy socialization classes.

Something else I can look into.
default_yes.gif
:

He is such a good little guy right now, I'd like to make sure that he stays that way.
default_wub.png
:

All that may well be true but I have never seen a Bichon without tear stains.

Latest posts

Back