new puppy! and a question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
Hey every one! i got a new puppy today a black Am Cocker girl. We have named he Zoe. she is sooooo cute.

I was playing with her and saw that her ears were really dirty i started cleaning them and noticed that she has bugs in her ears yuck!. she also has scabs on her head and chest. she does not seem to be that itchy though. I just drove all over town to all the pet stores vets and animal hospitals they are all closed urg. I looked it up on google and i think she has ear mites. I'm going to bring her to the animal hospital first thing in the morning, just wondering if any one has an experience with this?

also i did check the puppy over before i brought her home but some how i missed this. I must have been to excited about getting a new puppy. I will be contacting her breeder about it also, i'm kinda mad that they sold me a puppy with ear mites, we have another dog at home and now he has been exposed
default_rolleyes.gif

I will post photos of Zoe soon
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your puppy! Don't worry too much, the vet will be able to give you something for them. Just make sure you mention the other one being exposed so they can both be treated. Post pictures when you can.

From what you have said I would assume fleas are the cause for the scabs.. lots of scratching that went on.. or a skin allergy.. (and/or allergies to fleas)

As for the ears.. don't you love cocker ears?!

Is the discharge dark like coffee grounds?! If so, probably mites..

HOWEVER, especially considering cockers are prone to not only chronic ear problems / infections along with a long, long list of skin complications and so on.. a good choice IS a vet.. to determine, treat and follow up.

Good luck and post pictures of the cutie.

thanks
default_smile.png

I can see the little bugs crawling all over her now and they look a lot like fleas, thats what i thought when i first saw them but we could find them on the inside of her ears so i thought they may be something different. the dirt in her ears is dark but not like coffee grounds.

our other dog is a cocker too so i know all about their ear problems, our other one has had no "problems" yet but i have to clean them often, thats how i found the fleas by checking to see if ears needed to be cleaned (force of habit now lol)

umm now another question should i be concerned with the fleas getting on (in) the carpet/couch? it seems like she has so many of them, we feel so sorry for her.

thanks again for you help.

I will post photos soon, she will be getting her photos taken at the studio i work at.

"umm now another question should i be concerned with the fleas getting on (in) the carpet/couch?"

Absolutely, not to mention your carpet, bed, car, yard... other dogs, cats...

You need to get those flea off your pup ASAP. If you can't get into the vet tomorrow, at least get to a pet store and pick up some puppy safe flea shampoo as well as some sort of treatment for anywhere she's been. I don't like using chemical pesticides on my pets or around my home, so I use and recommend DeFlea shampoo by Natural Chemistry, Natural Defense carpet powder/household spray/preventative drops and pet safe Diatomaceous Earth from www.onlynaturalpetstore.com

hi everyone, wanted to let you know i have bathed the puppy with a really really good flea shampoo, the problem was a lot worse then i thought. i stayed home a few hours from work this morning to bath her, it was so gross those fleas must have been there for weeks. I felt so bad for her there were so many on her face. I can't believe i missed it when we went to look at her i feel so stupid. I just called her breeder and sent an e-mail. I have been thinking about it all day i think the best thing to do is bring her back I do not want to give people who treat their animals like that money so they can make more puppies and not care for them. It breaks my heart to send her back to a place like that but i think it is the right thing to do, I just can't stomch the fact that i put money in the peoples hands who let this poor puppy get in that bad of condtion.

Really? I can't believe you can stand to take her back. She'll just get reinfested with fleas like the rest of the dogs and puppies there, then she'll be sold again. Who knows who will buy her. Many people are horrible at keeping Cockers the way they need to be kept. At least absorb the cost of buying her and get her to a rescue if you don't want her. I would also report the breeder if it seems she's not doing right by her animals. Was the place filthy, too, or...? She may or may not be allowed to have breeding dogs, or the number of dogs she owns on her property. She might have a breeder's or kennel license, in which case certain standards must be met to keep it. Check with the city and county. Contact your local humane society and ASPCA chapter, too, plus put a call into the BBB. I bet the IRS would even like to know about her little operation, too. You can do much better by all of those dogs by being proactive rather than simply taking that puppy back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with you and I hope you will keep this puppy for her sake. This puppy is much better off with you although I understand how angry you are at the breeder; but don't take it out on the puppy by returning her to that place.

However, I would call that breeder and give her a piece of my mind. Then, give your pup another bath. (((( ))))

You can get rid of the fleas.
default_saludando.gif

PS better read the directions on that flea shampoo, you might have to wait a while before bathing her in that again. sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ear mites are common and very easily cured. Revolution gets rid of them very quickly. Put it between her shoulder blades and clean her ears out thoroughly with an ear solution that contains salicylic acid. Revolution is awesome. It's effective as prevention and treatment of fleas, ticks, ear mites, and round and hook worms. My barn cats had ear mites. They were eliminated with one treatment (I gave another one after two weeks just in case).

P.S. Don't be "mad" with the breeder. Just let her/him know. Maybe you can educate them (although you shouldn't have to point that out to a breeder
default_wacko.png
).

I can't believe you would consider taking her back to that situation.
default_no.gif

I'd call and email the breeder. I wouldn't even dream of taking the puppy back to that situation! You can get rid of the fleas and mites but who knows what would happen to the puppy if you took her back!
default_no.gif
I really hope you kept her!

Latest posts

Back