new Platform feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else is trying the new farnam mini feed? I just got a bag a few days ago, so I don't know yet if I like it, but so my minis like it.

I just switched over to Farnam Mare& Foal and my weanlings are doing great on that.

I have been buying this feed at our local TSC store, but they haven't gotten the new mini feed in yet.

I hope they do soon, because I would sure like to try it.

Is it sold in a 50 lb bag like the other feed? also, what was the price? just wondering

All the different Farnam feeds here sell for around $15 for 50 lbs

Our feed store just started carry it, it is a pellet feed. I know they thought

we jump to buy it. But we are feeding Safe Choice which is $9.95 a 50 lb

bag. The other is $15.95 bag. Our horses are doing good on Safe Choice.

So we have not tried it. I might have it was the same price as the safe choice.

But I sure don't want to pay more. When we are happy on Safe Choice. Funny

even the owner of the feed store said its hard to beat Safe Choice feed. As it

is so good. I did buy a bag called Lite feed, another pellet feed, for my over

weight ones. They seem to eat it fine.

Vicky

Just adding yes its sold in 50 lb bags

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Since Dana Bryan's horses (Dream Weaver Farm) have been on this feed for several months as a test farm, I have nothing but praise for it. Horses that were previously receiving 4-6 lbs of grain (performance show horses) daily, are now on a maintenence level of 1 1/2 to 2 lbs daily and they look INCREDIBLE!! They have all the stamina in the world, sleek coats, great muscle tone and are not "hot" and silly. [/SIZE]

One of the senior geldings has shown the biggest change. He was previously a very "hot" horse, especially in the cart. Not bad, just over exploding with energy. Now, on the Platform feed (and carrying the same body weight) he has just as much flair and go, but can concentrate and stand quietly in the line-up, yet his energy and stamina are undiminished. My show horses were on it all season and they have NEVER looked better!

All of my weanling were switched over to the new feed after Nationals and will remain on it, along with all of my other show horses. The difference in amount fed more than makes up for the price difference for lesser feeds, that require so MUCH more feed for lesser effect.

I also have 2 mares (one National Top Five Halter & one National Halter Champion) in foal to that gorgeous bay pinto on the feed bag
default_wub.png
:

If you want your TSC to carry it ask. I know that all of them can order as that is were I got mine at (I also emailed corporate to make sure). Your store just may not know that it is available.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know how it works for our well-fed friends? (PS don't tell scout I think he's fat)

Yes it sells in the 50 pound bag, they haven't figured out that a small bag would sell better. Also, it runs about 14 bucks around here.

Our feed store just started carry it, it is a pellet feed. I know they thought

we jump to buy it. But we are feeding Safe Choice which is $9.95 a 50 lb

bag. The other is $15.95 bag. Our horses are doing good on Safe Choice.

So we have not tried it. I might have it was the same price as the safe choice.

But I sure don't want to pay more. When we are happy on Safe Choice. Funny

even the owner of the feed store said its hard to beat Safe Choice feed. As it

is so good. I did buy a bag called Lite feed, another pellet feed, for my over

weight ones. They seem to eat it fine.

Vicky

Just adding yes its sold in 50 lb bags
I also feed some other Nutrena feeds. And I also tried Safe Choice because it was highly recommended by the owner of another feed store that i buy feed at. (This gal raises quarter horses.)

My horses ate it just fine, but i found that after they had been on it a few months that they lost the shiney coat that they previously had. And they just didn't look as good as they did.

So for me, i just wasn't happy with Safe Choice, but like i said, the owner of the store loves it for her horses.

I really do like the Farnam feed that i am feeding now, I guess i have been using it for about 3 months.

I do not have to feed quite as much as with other feeds and my horses look good.

So even though it is more expensive, it seems as if i am getting my moneys worth.

I was hoping the new Mini feed would come in 50 lb bags, And yes, i will be asking our tSC to order me some.

When I started in Miniatures, I was feeding Nutrena All Breed. When the feed store quit carrying it, I switched to Purina All Stock. Then I went in one day to buy a bag and they didn't have any in stock. The next shipment wouldn't be in for another week at least. So instead I bought a bag of Allegra Cadence. Last time I was at the feed store, I came across Nutrena Lite Balance. It's a low calorie formula that is designed for overweight horses/to help maintain weight. I decided to give it a try. In the future I would like to try the Farnam feed designed for Miniature Horses. I just need to find a place nearby that sells it or could order it for me. But it will be awhile as I just bought the Lite Balance and they don't go through it all that fast.

My horses have done well on all these feeds. I don't favor one of the other, so far.

Erin

I'm 100 miles from the closest TSC, but I did look it up on their website and it'll be available for about $15.00 per bag. It would be nice, since it's a mini specific feed, if they would offer it in 25# for 1-2 mini homes and 50# bags for those with many minis. I'm using Progressive diet balancer and loving it, so have no plans to change anytime soon.

Will be interesting to see what others think after it's been available for awhile.

Anyone looking for specifics on this product can go to the platform feeds web site at http://www.platformfeed.com/products_minifeed.htm there also is a dealer locator link.

I am unfamilar with alot of the products that are fed by forum members as until TSC came to town a few year ago all we had was purina products and local stuff to choose form. I have nothing against either mind you, but I just can't get the mix right to suit me. So I can't really say how things compare to what everyone is feeding.

I hope that the site might be of help to people that wish to know more about this product. However if mentioning it somehow in violation of the rule please feel free to delete this post, or contact me.

I just picked up 3 bags at Tractor Supply. We have a double registered Shetland colt who has a terrible Top line. Im going to give this product a try and see how it does. Will let you know how he does.In Michigan I payed 13.99 for 50 pound bag.

I just got back from our TSC. I had to get wormer and they just got it in. I asked the sales lady about it and I"m thinking of switching my two over. It is 13.99 for 50 lbs here in PA. But the sales lady gave me a coupon for 10.00 off 2 bags. It is more than the buckeye(wrangler) feed they are on now, but if it is better for them, I'll swtich.(I only have 2 mini's, and I think I've let them get a little chunky) Does this help with colic and founder better? This is what she thought the rep was telling her. It is more designed for the mini's and pony's. Their area's of problems.

You beat me to the punch, was going to start a thread on it. Hope to hear more to help me make my decision.

The only down side to the Platform feed is that it doesn't take into consideration the type of hay you feed i.e. grass OR alfalfa.

Progressive and Buckeye products DO.

The only down side to the Platform feed is that it doesn't take into consideration the type of hay you feed i.e. grass OR alfalfa.

Progressive and Buckeye products DO.

What about the Nutrena products? I've only just started using them since I can't get Purina (what I've always fed) around here since we've moved. I've only tried the "Youth" feed so far and have been debating trying the Nutrena Safe Choice or the Farnam Platform mini and pony feed. I guess the best thing would be to get BOTH and feed some horses one, and others the other, and see if I can see any difference?

I'll have to compare the ingredients and nutrients too.... hmmmm

My feed store is a Purina dealer and was able to get it just after it was made available. I understand from talking to the National Sales Rep who was at the R Nationals that any independent Purina dealer is able to order the Platform miniature feed in what every quantity you want. When I first started inquiring about it they were told they would have to order it by the pallet lots and a lot would not order it.

After a long discussion with the Platform office and the National Sales Rep-- any independent Purina dealer can order it for you and in the quantity that you need-- if you only want to try 1 bag they can order 1 bag. The National Rep told me if anyone has trouble with getting the quantity you want from an independent dealer to drop him a call and he'll get it straightened out. I have his number at home if any needs it.

I have 1/2 my herd on it right now for a test group. My feed store is getting it for me and I'm only ordering 200# at a time, he can get it within a couple of days of placing the order. I'm paying $12.25 for a 50# bag.

Even at this price I believe it will be more cost effective in the long run that what I'm feeding now as I have to add the beat pulp, and other supplements, this feed already has it included and it has a wonderful vitamin and mineral pack that included joint supplements for my older driving horses.

I'll give you and update in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back