New pics, and also tale of horrible two week diahrea bought for week old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
Three weeks ago, our 5 day old filly Cinnamon developed severe diahrea. (coincidentally, or not, it happened to be the same day that she had that 'dead' sleep in the field that I posted frantically about. She never had another dead sleep episode, but that night she developed projectile water diahrea.) It's a long, long story, and she required 24 hour care for 12 days, and two trips from the vet to tube her when she got so weak because everything she drank went right through her. The entire time any tests came back normal, and she never ran a fever, and except for the two times of severe weakness, always nursed, and was fairly active -- not quite like a nornmal baby though because she was physically weakened by it -- other than that she stayed looking like a 5 day old foal instead of filling and growing like the other two (who did not come down with it, thank God.) It also happened to be at the very time her dam went through foal heat. I know because the three yearling boys that were pastured right next to the seperation lot I had Mirri and Cinnamon in were going crazy to mount the fence, and she was teasing, squatting, and peeing at them like crazy too. The first day Cinnamon was dry ( a joyous day around here for sure ) Mirri no longer paid the boys any mind, and had gone out of heat.

I know they are saying now that foal heat is not what causes foal scours, but I'm not sure I believe that, and all we can think around here is that was the worst case of foal heat scours we had ever seen. Here's a pic of our baby taken today. She has been much better and completely over the diahrrea for 7 days now, and is getting stronger and stronger every day. Every morning my heart is filled with joy watching her run and play like a normal baby.

Cinnamon:

cin1-265x262.jpg

While we were outside today, Bob was off and playing with the other two girls in the barn pen. May and Diva are getting so friendly. Bob sat down and May came up to him to check him out

bobbabies3-450x315.jpg

Then she laid down next to him

bobbabies2.jpg

The she jumped up when Diva came over to see what was so interesting, and they both loved on him

bobbabbies1.jpg

Bob started to get up to leave, but May follewed him around like a puppy until he crunched back down to give her a pat

bobmay1.jpg

Diva decided mom was more fun to play with than some big guy in the pasture

divajump.jpg

Then she and mom took off running.

mistydivarun2.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my day.

i just love your pics! im so relived that shes on the rebound! I know its been so stressful for you. Okay send may to ohio she said she wants to come live with aunt kay

[SIZE=14pt]Adorable pics!!!! Thanks for sharing Tami.... now ...if you would just show a couple of pics of Sparky this Nanny would be reallllll happy![/SIZE]

Lyn

Hi Tami!

They are beautiful! I love diva (actually i love kays diva to ....must be that name).

You sure know how to grow them over there in Illinious!

I like the pic where she is laying next to him, that looks like equusite material!

Thanks guys.

Lynn, you will be thrilled to hear that I will be clipping Sparkster soon and taking shots. Hubby just got me an awesome birthday gift (he couldn't wait 3 weeks to give it to me, hehehehe) one of those clipmasters. I can't wait to attack the woolies with those, although lots of my guys including Sparky have a good headstart on shedding out, this should make the job of getting rid of the rest of it much easier.

Awwww Tami, they are so beautiful! So sorry you had such a trying two weeks. I still think you need to hide that bay from Kay!

Fran

Lookin great! Now sit back and enjoy, I love to se the big burlie guys kissin the wee babes.

Latest posts

Back