New on board and to mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baydreamfarms

Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself, I just purchased a mini filly. She is 6 weeks old and is the most friendly cute lil thing ever. But I'm a bit biased. I have been horseless for the last 2 years but before that had big horses for 23 years. I used to barrel race and pole bend in AZ before moving to East TN.

More on my mini. She is out of a beautiful red and white roan pinto mare and a very handsome black stallion. She was born in the beginning of April and should be coming home to us by Aug. Her name is JuneBug and we are working on what her registered name will be. Her mom has a great pedigree from all the rresearch I have done and also been told on another horse board. And her dad has good lines too. Pedigrees is something I wish to learn more about from here and elsewhere. I used to know all the goos lines in AQHA but we have old retired guys now and even the newer lines I haven't kept up with.

We plan on showing JuneBug when she gets older and we move up to OH and then hopefully she will be able to be cart trained but we will have to see how tall she gets before we know more on that. So anyone wanna see pics of my lil one? Dumb question huh.

100_1749.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1708.jpg

And from when we first met her at 17 days old

100_1618-1.jpg

We also have a heeler mix puppy that is 4 months old named Tank and a 5yo long haired doxie named Oscar. Hope to gain a lot of info and friends from this site like I have from the others I frequent.

Welcome from North Carolina. I can see how you fell in love with

little June Bug. What a cutie. I just love her little face in the baby

picture.
default_wub.png
Good luck with your new venture into the mini world. But I

can tell you right now you will have to have more. LOL Better start making

more room.
default_yes.gif
Maryann

Welcome to the world of minis from Florida - JuneBug is a cutie.

Barbie

Welcome to the forum from Baxter, TN. I'm pretty much in between Knoxville & Nashville.

When are you moving to Ohio? I'm hoping to relocate there next year.

Hi and welcome from East Tennessee, south of Knoxville. I'll bet you'll be so in love with the area that you'll forget all about moving to Ohio!

We're in Sweetwater, just south of Knoxville, having moved here from Florida. When I was a young girl, I also used to barrel race and do other speed events. Those were the days!

Your little Junebug is very nice. Good luck with her.

If you are ever in our area, please look us up.

Take care

Tam

Welcome to the forum. I am in Knoxville actually just East outside of Knoxville. Now why in the world would you want to leave beautiful East Tennessee????
default_biggrin.png
Your little JuneBug is precious. Congratulations and I know you can't wait to get her home.

Welcome, I am pretty new to minis also. Started with my first at the end of DEC 07. I also have a biggie Mare.

Yes the minis are so sweet and addicting.
default_yes.gif

Your JuneBug is very cute!

Hello from East Tennessee.

I am in Elizabethton, only 20 minutes from you!

Your new baby is a little doll.

There are some wonderful mini people in E.T.

Look forward to meeting/talking with you.

Jan

Wow there sure are a lot more people in this area than I thought!

Irish we are hoping to move to OH next spring. It may wind up sooner, that all depends on Uncle Sam though. My husband is in National Guard and is now on alert for another deployment so if it does happen we will be able to move sooner rather than later.

Tam My husband has been down here for 11 years, he likes it but I really really don't like it. I've been here for 2 years. But when I met him in Clarksville while he was at Ft Campbell I knew I wanted out of AZ. But we will be moving near Wooster, OH to be closer to family. Neither of us have any within a 7 hour drive. Mine are 30 hours away.

Jan wow you are really close. I know there is a farm in Jonesborough that is close too. I've seen their website but never been. Maybe since we are so close to each other we could meet in between sometime. I love talking horses any size but right now mini's are the focus.

I am glad I found this site, it looks like I should be able to just jump in and immerse myself with everybody. I didn't realize there were so many mini's in the area, where was everyone when I was looking for one. I started out wanting something different than what I got, but we couldn't be happier with JuneBug. Her dam and sire have great personalities and her breeder is very knowledgeable and it seems to all be coming together. She is the first foal I have ever had, my usual is the geriatric ward. My last gelding we bought at 17 and he is still kicking at 33. So not much experience with the younguns.

The one question I do have is about fencing and shelters. I am going to have a 30x70 area for her and about 30 foot down will be a divider so I will have my dry lot and my pasture area. I think that should be enough. Our grass here is good, fescue, but good. We had green grass even through the winter. And we are building her a shelter since we can't find anything already assembled for what we can build one. So she will have a custom house for her. Not to shabby I think. It will be a 6 ft tall(mainly for hubby to be able to duck into) by 4ft deep and 8ft wide. That should be enough right? I'm so used to having a barn for the big horses at my parents and at my hubbies parents that I think that it will be to small, but I think I'm wrong.

Welcome! Minis are wonderful, as you know
default_smile.png

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful area for your new girl. You might want to ask this board about Fescue grass, though, as I think I have read about its toxicity to minis??? Just thought I would mention it- hope that is ok.

Glad you will be moving closer to family- that will be special!

Have fun-

Peggy

Alba Hurst

Peggy Her breeder is in the same area and has pastures of fescue, it is the natural grass in the area. She has spoken to a nutritionist from the University of Kenntucky and from what I understand as long as you keep it about 3 in it is fine. And the main reason for the 3 in rule is that anly lower and the sugars in the grass are to high and the carbs to low. I know you also have to kinda limit the hours out on pasture a day due to the sugar content and risk of founder and just plain ol' getting fat. I plan on having her graze for about 4-5 hours a day while I'm at work and then have her in her dry lot/paddock. But I will look into it further, you can never have to much info right??

I mean the whole pasture/dry lot thing is new to me. Our horses in AZ are fed pellets, rice bran, senior feed and electrolytes and have never been on pasture. So I'm used to buying pellets not hay and not worrying about the grass growth and all. Just making sure they are drinking enough and getting enough excersize
default_biggrin.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of Miniature Horses, and also a warm welcome to the forum.
default_aktion033.gif
That's a cute little filly you bought, and I am sure it won't be long before she has a companion..or two, or three or...
default_wink.png

Welcome from the absolute most southeast corner of Tennessee, less than a mile from the Georgia line. Your little June Bug is adorable and I know you will love her and enjoy her. Remember minis are like potato chips, betcha can't have just one! The forum is a wealth of support and information and there is always room for more friends. The Tennessee Miniature Horse Volunteers are a great group of folks who have a lot of fun if you are interested in joining a mini club. You can go to the website www.TennesseeMiniaturehorse volunteers.com for more info. Again, WELCOME!!!

Welcome from Central OHio!! My son is also in the National guard! Feel free to call or email if you need help relocating here.

Kay

Howdy and welcome from the great state of T~E~X~A~S!!!!!

I bet you will be finding hre a buddy real soon!!!! She really is a cutie. Great that you found her now, you will be able to see her grow through all her life stages!!!!

Welcome from NJ
default_saludando.gif
what a cute little girl
default_wub.png

we intended on getting 1 mini too now we have 10 with

1 foal on the ground and 4 still due, and have since sold our full size horses

you will just love these little horses.

And I haven't found anywhere better to learn about them than right here on the forum

Lori

I know we will stay pretty small here in TN, we have 1 acre, but when we move into OH we will be looking for 2-5 acres min. She will have a companion goat and our puppy to play with for about the first year. After that we are interested in getting more, but we want to wait til OH more more. If I could find another one between 2-5 for a reasonable price before than we will talk about it, but we will have to cross that bridge when it gets here. You never know what the future holds. But I already know I will def want more down the line.

Latest posts

Back