New momma very grouchy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Is this normal? Baby is 2 weeks old and momma is very grouchy with her people. She is only able to get out a few hours a day until her permanent pasture is refenced with safer baby fencing.

Could it be her foal heat and she is wanting to get to the "man"? Just wondering if this happens often?

Thanks

My Keesha is a sweet mare all the time, then she foals and she becomes the girl from the exorcist for about 2-3 wks. This mare is so funny. The first time she foaled for me I went to dip the cord and she bit me in the head!
new_shocked.gif
SO....I began carrying a short riding crop with the intention of just pushing her away; when I did she realized, "hey that feels GOOD". So I would scritch her while I fussed with baby worked great. She always settles down after that. Don't know if that helps at all but JM experience.

Is this her first foal? She may also be very bored being cooped up. I have electric fencing for my kids and I sweat the babies going out that first few times. I tried the orange snow fence and that was great, I also used the wide yellow caution tape and I adore that. can't she stay out in her lil pasture while the other is being done?

I know she would be happier but the "temp pasture" will only be for another 7 days. My friend and I co own her and "K" is out of town for a week so in order for me to let them out in the temp - I must be there at her farm for the whole time as I am not comfortable leaving them unsupervised for the day. But I may let them out - clean stalls etc - maybe go away for a little while and see how they do...It is a nice 50' square area that shares a fence with her Jack and other Jenny. The Jack could care less about the baby - but the momma seems to like Elvis a lot!

Latest posts

Back