New mom needs advice

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by Ginaoz, Sep 13, 2018.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2018 #1

Ginaoz

Ginaoz

Ginaoz

I am going to be picking up not only my first mini but my first horse ever in a week or two after she is weaned. I have a stable arranged and a trainer picked out for both of us. My question for all of you with mini experience is whether I should also get two? I've been told by several "experts" that keeping a weanling by herself in a stall is less than ideal even if I work with her daily. The ranch I am purchasing her from has several colts available that I could take at the same time. I would have him gelded as soon as possible. What do you all think? Am I crazy or would it be a good idea?

Sincerely,

Gina

Novato, Ca

2. Sep 13, 2018 #2

Miniv

Miniv

Miniv

Horses are a herd animal, so getting a second isn't a bad idea.  We got our first mini in 1990. She was an older weanling, but we also had 4 pygmy goats to keep her company initially. Two months later we bought a second filly and the two were best buddies and I think our first girl was happier.  However, our first one also bonded to US much more before we got her friend. She and I are still bonded more than any of our others we've since bought (or rescued).... She's 28 now and yes, we still have her......The second filly, died a few years ago from cancer.

Debby - LB and Ryan Johnson like this.
  3. Sep 13, 2018 #3

Ginaoz

Ginaoz

Ginaoz

The bonding to me is one of my top concerns. Thank you for your advice. I'm so excited to be a new mom but overwhelmed at the same time. I know most people don't start their horse career at 54 and so I appreciate any advice. Someone suggested a goat so maybe I should re-visit that suggestion.

4. Sep 13, 2018 #4

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Three better than two days if you have the resources.  Two will work and they will keep each other company, but it you ever want to take one off the property you have the one left behind to think about, and usually (in my experience) the one left behind can raise all kinds of heck.  The times I have had good luck with just two horses has been when the other horse was an older, been there done that, type of horse who has had plenty of experience being in different environments.  Maybe you could get an older mini as a buddy?  Around here we call them "babysitters" ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018
    Debby - LB likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2018 #5

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Welcome to the forum, its a little like a bag of chips , you cant just have one. Horse are herd animals , so do much better with company.

And your never too young to learn. I have had horses for over 30 years now and still learning :)

Debby - LB, Miniv and chandab like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2018 #6

MajorClementine

MajorClementine

MajorClementine

I started with one, quickly graduated to two, now I have five....

I have those, in my herd, who don't care if they are separated from the rest and those who are pretty buddy sour. I have some that have bonded to me much more than others. I think it has a lot to do with personality. My colt, Perry, is super independent. From day 1 he didn't care about being around his momma or any other horse. He just did his own thing. He's super sweet and is developing great ground manners but I'm loving that he's so independent. He had 4 other minis to buddy up with but he just never cared if he was alone. Like I said, I think a lot of that has to do with a horses individual personality.

Just remember that you'll have to times everything by 2. Vaccines, dental work, worming, farrier, feed.... And everything but the feed bill is the same as with the big guys. Welcome and we look forward to pics!

Debby - LB likes this.