New minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well as some may know I already had a mini... In August I aquired two more minis (they came together). They are to be my main driving horses as well as friends for Spice. Anyway...when I saw them they didn't seem like "best friend" now that they are here Spice is always "left out". A lot of it is normal herd behavior which I don't mind but he seems a little on the depressed side since they moved in. At first he was thrilled as they got along well and were always playing/scratching eachother. But now Spice is often alone at the other end of the paddock. It is mainly that the younger one is "obsessed" with the older guy and they're stuck together like glue. The older guy is deffinetly boss of Spice and the younger one and can somtimes be quite the prat to Spice. They were friends over the fence for about a week but then they started getting upset and wanted to be together so they've all been together in the big paddock for about a month now. I know it's early days but I'm getting a little concerned...Spice looks so sad
sad.gif

I hope that explained it well enough...if not ask me some questions to clarify.

Anyway...my question is...with time will they begin to band together as their "own herd" or will Spice always be an "outcast"? Also, would bringing in a fourth mini who is best friends with Spice make a difference?

My apologies if any of the above doesn't make sense or is poorly written, I'm really quite ill and a little light headed so things are not crystal clear for me right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, alot of times there is one horse that just isn't quite "in" when you have three. Just like kids in school, I can't really say if he would eventually fit in. My guess would be that yes, he would eventually fit in, but I also think that a fourth horse would help as well. That way they probably wouldn't single anyone out and not let them into the herd.

Two's company three's a crowd. Odd numbers someone is always bound to be left out or ignored sometimes even haressed.

It sounds like they have already established their pecking order. Its just not what you were hoping for. Now if Spice does not "look happy" I would not worry about it. He is much happier than when he was alone. There might come a time when they interact more but you should just be thankful that they are not walking around biting tails and legs or backing up and letting fly with their hind feet. Those are a bit harder to take care of.

I had two driving geldings come in that had always lived together since foals. I bit the bullet and split them up completely. They screamed and shouted for a while- the dominant one far more so- then they settled down. I made sure the little one was interacting well with others before I put them back together and they were different horses, temperament wise. They were never going to be a matched team, (so living together was not important to the team spirit,) as they were different heights, but I did do Tandem with them.

Hi!
saludando.gif
I just wanted to let you know I'm going through the same thing. I also have 3 and I can see one being left out all the time. I will be looking for a fourth mini for a companion for the other. But for now, as I wait for the right one to come along,
wink.gif
I'll try my best to go out and give her alittle extra love and scraches. Just to let her know she's very wanted here no matter how much my bossy mare wants her gone!

Leya

As with kids 3 is tough. I have 3 1/2 with the baby Missy. I watch alot and Thera & Treasure are very bonded, while Missy & the yrlg Halley are becoming a bonded pair. Missy is 4 mos old now so we will begin the weaning in the next month. My hope is the stress of one weanling will be easier if she has a friend to complain to. I recommend a 4th mini but it has to be the right one to suit the personality of the herd. This is one reason I, for one, encouraged barnbum to keep both her fillies.

Latest posts

Back