New minis. And pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Hills Miniatures

Reaction score
Here is a post I started in the wrong place. So I moved it here. (I'm new here).

I recently bought 3 new minis. 2 girls and 1 stallion. There previous owner passed away and info was not available as to if or when the girls were bred. One does look preg. The other not so much. The P.A. said they would be due by November if they are. I'm going crazy here knowing when. I've had experience with reg size foaling. And also minis in general. But not birthing minis. Can anyone with experience give me a clue here. She is also starting to pee like she is in heat. Here are recent pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey and welcome
default_smile.png

Hopefully Diane and Anna will be on soon. I wanted you to move your thread here so that they can have a look at your pics.

Welcome again, she is a lovely mare and it will fun to see what she has been hiding
default_smile.png

Hi and wecome to the Nutty Nursery! What a lovely mare, and yes she does look very pregnant! How old is she - is it possibe that she has had a foal/s before as this will help by knowing whether you will be dealing with an experienced brood mare or a maiden?

Do you know if she is bred to the stallion who came with her or was there another stud around at her previous home - this would give us an idea about the size of the baby she is expecting. If it is your boy, then could we have some details about him - size, build, age (pics?) and how big is your mare.?

It looks as though she aleady has some udder development - how does it look/feel to you - just filling, half filled etc. Sorry for all the questions but she does look quite close to foaling (particlarly in the pics on your original thread on the main forum) so we need as many details as possible quite quickly! Do take a moment to read the pinned threads at the top of our main page - lots of useful info posted there.

When were your minis last wormed - you will also need a dose of Ivermectin wormer to hand to give your little girl within 12 hours of her foaling. And what are you feeding her at the moment - she should really be on a good quality mare and foal feed if possible.

Again welcome - please ask any/as many questions as you need, we are here to help you get this little one safely and successfully foaled for you.
default_yes.gif

She is 10 yrs old and has foaled before. I have attached a pic of dad. He is about 31". Mom is 29". I think she may be filling but very slowly. I can easily get milk from her. I will attach pic of udder too. Some days she is wet at tips and the next she is dry. ?? Not sure why that is. I was told she had trouble with one of her foals but it turned out ok. The girl in my profile pic is her too from 6 yrs ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well she is still just hanging in there. I'm confused tho with her bagging up. She has had milk dripping from nipples off and on for about 2 weeks now. But she isn't bagging up.

I'm also wondering if it's ok to leave her soulmate in with her during birth? They get very upset if they aren't together.

Will add pic of milk drip

image.jpg

My answer to having her buddy in with her when she foals would be no. Perhaps you could start separating them at night -- but putting the buddy right next door to her, so they could be close and still "touch" ?

Foaling can be an "active" event, and you don't need another horse to work around, if "work" or assistance is needed at delivery. But having them together for the greater part of the day is just fine. But it would be good to start getting her used to being "alone" -- because you want any new baby to bond directly with their momma with no "outside" interference. Those first couple of days is very important for baby to learn who momma is and to quietly take direction from her to keep baby safe when entering the horsey world with other horses when you reintroduce the little one with momma to the herd.

Almost anything is "normal" for these mares! I've not heard of it before, but that's not to say there is a problem. I think from the other photos she was showing some udder development. She will probably be one of these mares that develops a full udder with foaling.

Can you get another udder picture?

She looks great, do you think you could get one standing behind her down at her level. This will give us an indication as to where baby is riding.
default_smile.png

I'll get one tomorrow. This eve she is discharging and it's cloudy and stringy. Looks like she may be bagging up more too.

Sounds good, now is the time to put her on "marestare" get coffee (and lots of it) and don't leave her for too long, it may happen and be over before the kettle has boiled.

Discharging from her Vulva ? This could be her mucus plug....

best of luck
default_thumbup.gif

Here are 2 pics from the back. She has a very large rump so it hides the belly. The one pic is a little off to the side view.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's just the angle was want. Even with a big rump (
default_whistling.gif
) if baby were laying in there sideways, it would show. It appears that baby may well be lined up, and everything moving ahead. How's her udder and her privates looking. Can you get a shot of her vulva, so we can see how she's elongating? And if you open the lips of the vulva to check the color, you will see a change from salmon/pink to a much more red, as foaling approaches. So, watch for those signs, and any changes in her personality. Some of these little mommas get really clingy as foaling approaches.

Keep us posted. We're all praying for a safe and uneventful delivery for you!
default_pray.gif

Well report from the vet. She is NOT pregnant. I'm so disappointed. It appears she my have cushings. That would explain the milk drip and she has a bit of a bag. Now we move forward and get it treated and put her on a diet. On a better note ...... My other mare is preg and due in May.

Oh No, Im very sorry to hear that.........I hope you can get it under control soon......

I know how you feel when you hear the words "im sorry but shes not pregnant"

Hope you stick around so we can see your other mare thru her pregnancy.

best wishes to you
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back