New Mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjmillion

Reaction score
We have a 11 month old 28" gelding (gelded 1 month ago) who is super sweet and mellow. He loves people and all kinds of attention. But on occasion he will lean hard into people or back up into them like he wants to sit in their lap. When we push him away he sometimes kicks. He doesn't do this very often but it is a problem when he does! Has anyone had this problem? It seems like it is affectionate but he really pushes!
His name is Casey.caseyand me.jpg

He is adorable!! Is he wanting his hiney scratched?? Mine back up into me when they want their bums scratched 🤣🤣 they are so furry and itchy right now, can’t wait to clip them! I just scratch them until they either fall over in pure joy or they have had enough 💕💕💕

Good luck with that cutie! Can’t wait to hear more about him!!💕💕

It doesn't sound like affection to me if he's (sometimes) kicking when you make him stop. But he may be trying to "play". Take a look at Kelly's videos of her geldings playing with each other. I wouldn't allow the behavior, as it can be dangerous. Since he loves attention, the easiest way to discourage the pushing is to tell him no and leave. Give him some time to think about it. I bet he will quickly figure out that if he gets pushy, he doesn't get the attention he wants.

As he is a baby, it sounds like he's just trying to play and get attention. But it is a sign of disrespect and can be dangerous. A pushy horse is usually just not pleasant to be around either! They should never lean into you or turn their hindquarters to face you as that means they do not respect you as the herd leader. When he does it, I would turn his head to you and back him. Then you can reward him with attention while standing at his head or shoulder. Hope this helps! He is cute!

Latest posts

Back