new mini owner needs advise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBH

Reaction score
I just got my first mini and boy this is a whole new ball game compared to the big boys. Brought her home on Sunday and have her in sight of the big horses but not with them, the are QH 26 and 23 and now totally retired. I am thinking of making a separate area for her but with common fence. She is also supposedly bred and I really don't want anything to happen the the baby.

Also we have 12x12 stalls and she has been in one but obviously can't see out, i have read on the forum and also several web sites and seen the prefab mini stalls which are out of my reach money wise, right now 12x12 seems big, but when she foals it is not, in the mean time we want to put another stall in barn her size where she can see out and be a part of things......is 6x8 just too small iIam thinking more like 8x8...and then have a small pasture shelter in a small area for her to run and see the big guys. All of ours pretty much stay out all the time unless it is really bad out and cold. We are in N Texas.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Hi, welcome to minis!
default_saludando.gif

I have two sizes of stalls, 6 x 12 and 12 x 12. I like the bigger ones for foaling mares, as it gives plenty of room for a mare to foal, and for me and any others to assist if need be. The larger stall is also very nice for the foal to have room to run around when the weather is too bad for them to be outside. I also stall mares with new foals at night.

To allow your mini to be able to see out while in her stall, I suggest using some kind of see-through stall gate. For example, when we are at a show where the horses will be stalled for more than a day or two (like at Nationals) we bring aluminum gates with us and rig them up as stall gates so that the horses can see out and get more air-flow. It works great. It should be fairly simple to find a see-through gate that you could permanently attach to the stall.
default_smile.png

Good luck, and I expect we will see much more of you here, as you embark on your new adventure!
default_laugh.png

Hello,

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of miniature horses.

I personally do not think a 12 x 12 is too big for her, but of course I can understand you wanting her to see out. Can modications be made to that one? I would rather my horses NOT be an 8 x 8 stall as I think that is too small. 10 x 10 is good size and will give her plenty of room. If she is going to have baby soon tho., the larger stall will be just fine for her, but again she cannot see out. Maybe a different kind of gate? One she can see out of? Some kind of wooden slatted gate, or wire gate? Just a thought.

Congrats on your little new one,

Beth

Welcome from Springtown, Texas!

We keep most of our Minis in stalls that are 12x12 or bigger. We use mesh gates that we built on some, and on others we bought chain link gates. They can see out and the air flows around them easily! Inexpensive and easy to hang, too!

Lucy

Welcome here and to the wonderful world of minis!!!
bye.gif

Our minis are also out nearly all the time. For when they are confined, we have nine 8x12 stalls and one 8x8. The 8x12 ones have worked well for foaling.

Welcome to the world of minis!!

We do have some of our 33" and under minis in 6X8' stalls and they are fine. Think of all the TBs and warmbloods in 10X10 or 12X12 stalls. But I wouldn't confine anyone in that size if I had the room or if it were a bred mare like yours. Ours are out all day and only in those stalls overnight. For the door, I would suggest a stall screen like the ones you can order from Dover Saddlery. You can hang them on big eye bolts, so really easy to hang and the minis can see out and air can circulate. If you are clever and can make one, all the better, but we found these quick and easy. If the stall screen is bigger than the stall opening, you can hang it on the inside of the door like we did.

We keep our minis in a separate area from our big horse, separated by round pen sections, and it works out well. They can see each other and interact without too much chance of getting hurt. They do like to play with each other through the fence.

Hi,

I can't help much on your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the world of miniatures and to the forum.

I don't know how your stall is set up, but if you can afford the room I would leave her with a 12x12 stall and are there anyway to lower it? Kind of like - remodel I guess is what I am saying.

Our stalls are 8x8 in our new barn and they work just fine for our 34" and under minis. An 8x8 for a mini is equivalent to a 10x12 or 12x12 for a big horse. I think the cheapest thing for you to do at this point is to just get a gate for your existing stall.

Latest posts

Back