New Mini Owner looking for advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsCaptain

Reaction score
Hi,

I am NEW NEW NEW to this. Well let me back track, I've had horses more than 20 years of my life but have been with out them for over 10 years now. Last week I brought home two weanling colts. I want to do right by them so I want your advice on how much I should be asking from them. One of them is four months the other 6 months. So far I've pretty much kept them in their shared 8x10 stall putting on their halters before they eat twice a day grooming them asking them to stand still etc. I've turned them out in their paddock and they will let me approach them and put a lead on now to groom them , pick up their feet . They are however pretty panicky if I try to pull one out of the stall to work with just one or the other and not sure how soon I should do that considering the young one has just barely been weaned and been taken from his familiar farm too.

Neither one of them had been fed any grain and had been turned out pasture only. I started them on a high protein feed only give them a small amount now , ( vet coming tomorrow to check them over).

I'm very excited about them , they are adorable and I figure this winter we'll pretty much be grooming them since we live in the mountains of Northern Vermont.

Anyhow would love any advice you would like to share with me.

Their Sire is Crystal Ridge Carousels Native Son - who is out of Movados FWF Blue Carousel

Thanks so much!

IMG_4252.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new little colts. And, you've already discovered that they are like potato chips and you can't have just one. There is a search box in the upper right of the page, and you can find just about anything you want to know in the search history.

I wouldn't do anything too strenuous with your boys, but it sounds like you have a good start with the haltering and leading lessons, and grooming is always good. the other might cause a fuss, but taking one out to groom is a good lesson in patience for the other. Or, if you have a safe place, take them both out, tie them, then work with each individually in sight of each other; which ever you aren't grooming will eventually learn patience while tied.

Thanks so much for your reply Chanda, I am so looking forward to my new adventure with these two cuties! Also I will take your advice on the search box!

Congrats on your new minis.You might find this information helpful: http://www.ontargetminiatures.com/images/pdfs/Weanlings_care_feeding.pdf. Just added it to our website after getting comments on this forum. Also, since your minis have had so much stress lately, between being weaned and moving, you might consider (or ask your vet tomorrow) about the possibility of ulcers. Alfalfa or some other source of calcium, or a product like Stomach Soother (pureed papaya) or aloe vera juice might be helpful and shouldn't hurt anything if they don't have ulcers.

Our young 4-Hers do a lot of handling and leading of our weanlings and you might find some photos on our website of those activities too. Or, if not, we should be adding them soon!

Oh thanks! BTW I read your article on the forum, its awesome and helped me a lot since the breeder didn't feed them ANY grain at all. I will check out your site thanks for your reply.

Welcome to the fold! Miniature horses are the best and your guys are cute!

Your new 'kids' are both adorable! This forum is a wonderful place to learn all kinds of stuff relating to mini's! Welcome!

Thanks so much! I will need to read as much as I can to do right by these little guys! Today their first shots!

Welcome to the forum. I recognize the name of the sire of your horses so I know where you purchased your horses. It's a small world here in Vermont. I'm also in the Northeast Kingdom and it's good to see someone else from the area. Have fun with your new boys!

Thanks! I am already having fun with them but I wish winter wasn't lurking! Although gives me a new reason to hang out in the barn now..
default_smile.png

I think you'll find the minis don't mind our winters. They'll get so furry and there are no bugs and they seem to enjoy playing in the snow. When they are older, there are many activities you can share. No bugs is the best part! And, yes, hanging out in the barn is lots of fun. You have two new best friends who are adorable.

I'm not worried about the minding our winters at all..I know for sure they'll get furry and fat..I have nigerian goats too that do the same thing...
default_smile.png
I love going out to the barn and standing amongst them and feeling their warm tummies warming up my legs! ha ha! I am sure ready for the NO bugs, the flies were SOOO bad here this year!

Thank you I think they are adorable too..
default_smile.png
I am so excited to have horses again!

Latest posts

Back