New mini owner here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
Hi,

I brought home a mini mare this weekend which will be my first mini (although I have been "borrowing" a neighbor's mini for 2 months)

Funny story on my way to a mini owner, I have had horses since i was a kid, we had a Shetland pony named Flame we used to hook up to a red bird cart and drive her into town, then I had a succession of horses, a Hackney pony, a ranch horse, and finally as a teenager I started grooming at the standardbred track, and trained a couple to saddle after they were done racing. I still have a standardbred who has been my ride and drive horse, although in my 30's I came down with arthritis in a lot of my joints and I haven't actually ridden in 5 years, I drove him until he was too lame. Anyway a few years ago one of my surgeons after doing surgery on both wrists told me that a lot of his "horsey" patietns turned to mini's when they got older. I was really Mad! Then I started wanting a smaller lighter cart with smaller wheels (easier to get in to) for my horse, then after spending 2 months with Lyme disease I saw the light, lighter work load, lighter wheel barrow fewer hay bales
default_rolleyes.gif
: So I was going to slowly look at mini's and plan on waiting till spring to get one.. HaHA, I wanted a larger mare or gelding if a mare not bred, well the universe works in mysterious ways and a 38" silver bay mare really badly needed a new home and now she's home
default_smile.png

I will have to get her in shape and then start ground work but I am hoping in spring ...

More on Starlight later...

I do actually have questions....

Amy

Welcome to the world of minis
default_yes.gif
: Lots of different reasons "why" people here have gotten into minis, but I don't think any of us regrets getting into them (from no horses or from big horses).

In case this is of interest, this is an article I wrote about minis which is published in the current issue of Equine Wellness. It's an overview / introduction to minis.

Minis: More Than Just a Little Horse

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from the hollow in NY, where you from and congratulations. I was also one who switched when injured.

Welcome from West Virginia!! :saludando: One rule on the forum you must absolutely adhere to.............when announcing a new horse....we want Pictures!!! Can't wait to see your new mare.
default_yes.gif
:

HPIM0550.jpg
Here are a couple pictures of Starlight, she is 9 yrs

Thanks for the welcome
default_smile.png
Jill I did read your article, nice article. I just had to laugh because I remember how mad I was at the surgeon for telling me I should get mini's !

Amy

Hello from New York :aktion033: Your mare is very pretty, congratulations
default_yes.gif
: Welcome to the forum.....be careful, it is habit-forming
default_wink.png
:

Congrats on getting your mare! She's a nice looking girl and you two should have lots of fun together.

Welcome to the forum! :saludando:

Welcome!

Nice to talk with you and look forward to having you at the clinic on Sunday!

As you may have noticed this forum likes to see pics and lots of them!

good luck with your new girl. The first of many. LOL

Mark

:saludando: :saludando: :saludando: Welcome to the forum!!!! From SW Oklahoma :bgrin

Wecome, I'm pretty new as well,.. These little guys are very habit forming. Gotta love em. Welcome from Muskoka Ontario

Latest posts

Back