new mini (or is he a shetland?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum and new to mini's. I just bought a cute little mini (or is he a shetland?). He is about 33" tall and is supposed to be about 2 1/2 yrs old. The pictures of him are the ones the seller posted, his hooves have been trimmed now. I have a couple questions........is he a mini or is he a shetland??. I don't know how to tell the difference and the seller bought him at a local fair and didn't know much about him at all. Is there a good online site that sells mini halters? The mini halters at my local tack store are way too small and the pony (200-300 lb) size halters are way too big.

319379_10150280773904192_771734191_7333792_1111689_n.jpg

302229_10150280774209192_771734191_7333794_4492191_n.jpg

300954_10150280774074192_771734191_7333793_1472476_n.jpg

Based on size, he's a mini. Depending on his lineage, he could be a shetland too.

Just wanted to say welcome aboard! Gosh is he cute! I love his socks and his color. A couple of good online places are Star Lake tack and Ozark Mountain tack. I'm sure if you googled you'd find more, but I've ordered from both and liked them.

hi welcome to the forum
biggrin.gif
I have also used star lake and found them good

Hi and welcome to the forum from Italy
saludando.gif
Your little guy is adorable congratulations but look out cos they are VERY addictive
wub.gif

Where are you?

He's very nice. SOme people might call him "the old style miniature". He's a good looking guy, congrats and welcome
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

He is very cute! I love his color with that flaxen mane and tail. Watch out...he will not be alone long. You will find that he needs a buddy and before you know it he will have an entire family of other little horses!!!
default_biggrin.png
Minis have great heart and they are certainly good for yours, so congrats!!

He's cute whatever he is. I like the halters at Double Diamond Tack http://www.doublediamondtack.com/Miniature_Tack-11317.html (hope I'm doing a no, no) I perfer the nylon ones that are adjustable and have the clasp under the throat so I can unhook it for clipping. I've dealt with them and for my 34" horses I use the medium size for show season when they are clipped but I get the large size (since they can be adjusted) for winter when they have lots of hair.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice about where to get halters. I am going to check it out now

Welcome to the Forum, very cute boy...and yes they are addictive lol. You might also check Supreme Equine Design, they carry the good Hamilton halters and lots of good quality blankets, sheets, etc. What part of the country are you in?

Jan

Very cute, and looks to physically be in good shape. I get my halters from tackforminis.com, they have the best prices and a large variety of colors and options.

Love, love, love his coloring!!!! Congrats and welcome to the mini world!!!!
aktion033.gif

Nice looking little horse! Even though the pictures are made from a bad angle he looks quite proportionate and his color is stunning!

Welcome here to the Forum.

I bet you will have loads of fun with him! Congrats on your cute boy
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back