New Mini, I need help! =)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dimimore said:
How wonderful!  The first mini is so exciting.  If you can get Omelene you should be able to get Equine Junior or Strategy by Purina.  I love those.  It sounds like he is just underfed.  Minis tend to be pudgy but think of the starving children you see in pics with their tummys distended.  Many have intestinal parasites and aren't eating enough.  Take a stool sample to your vet and worm accordingly.  You could use the 5 day panacur or go every two weeks with alternating wormers for a while.  He should get what ever he'll clean up in a reasonable amount of time.  I feed 3 cups to my little girl who is only 3 mos.  She is not huge tummyed.  You can see pics at my site.  She gets 2 cups of Equine Adult as she was sensitive to the alflafa in the Equine Junior and 1 cup of strategy.  The Junior/Strategy and such is a soft pelleted feed that is so easy to chew and digest.  Give it a go and let him graze.  A back yard is plenty for him.  Offer a soft hay regularly also.  They love Cheerios for treats.  Good luck and do keep in touch.  I'd be happy to post pics if you get them.  Look at out main page under Breeders Connect and click on Texas.  There are lots of wonderful folks there that would be happy to help you too.  You may find that another will be a super thing.  Sounds like your boy is bright and happy so I would think he is healthy as well.  Have you have a vet do shots yet?
464258[/snapback]

That's exactly what he reminds me of...the poor starving children with the huge bellies. A couple of people have mentioned about the Panacur, but I'm not familiar with that. I've noticed today that he's walking around with his head in the air waiting for leaves to fall from the trees, he loves the leaves. I have hay out for him constantly (coastal/alfalfa mix), plus all the grass (and leaves) he wants. We are going to the vet this afternoon, and she told me to bring some poo
biggrin.gif
so I'm sure she wants to do a fecal exam. I offer him feed twice a day, at the same time, every day, but he'll take a couple of bites, then he'll play in it and won't eat anymore. I worked with him for like an hour this morning, and now he's jumping in and out of our trailer like a pro! The more I look at him and think about it, the more I think he's probably a dwarf. I thought his head was just cute and Arabish, but people have told me that's a sign of dwarfism. My husband went to the vets a month or so ago and got him his shots, and we just gave him to him here at the house (with the mosquitoes around here, it was a must).

Also...when does that baby fuzz of a mane go away? It's started to lay down and smooth out, but GEEZ! Its out of control!
wacko.gif

The baby fuzz mane will stay a loong time. Some a VERY long time. A little dippity doo will lay it flat but why bother if he's just a beloved pet. Let us know what the vet says, think about a feed change and hopefully a bit more worming will help. He sounds wonderful. Don't assume he is a dwarf. Many minis have dishy heads. When you get pics send them off and me or someone will post them for you. Sounds like you and hubby are "very" good horse parents.

Dimimore said:
The baby fuzz mane will stay a loong time.  Some a VERY long time.  A little dippity doo will lay it flat but why bother if he's just a beloved pet.  Let us know what the vet says, think about a feed change and hopefully a bit more worming will help.  He sounds wonderful.  Don't assume he is a dwarf.  Many minis have dishy heads.  When you get pics send them off and me or someone will post them for you.  Sounds like you and hubby are "very" good horse parents.
464420[/snapback]

He gets lots of baths (he loves them, he's such a water baby), and I condition his mane & tail with Pantene
biggrin.gif
, so it's helping. Even though he's just my pet, I still want him to be beautiful!
wub.gif
I will have his pictures soon (I have to find time to run to town and get them developed), so maybe I can have some opinions from everyone else. I can't thank everyone enough for all of this! I am ADDICTED to this forum! LOL! I sit and watch all the conversations...I guess I'm a lurker, but I'm just trying to learn!

Well, welcome! From what I've read so far, you are a wonderful new mommie.

The belly... lol, well you've gotten tons of advice on it, and likely you will get it licked. SOMETIMES it does happen after weaning. I have three colts right now, and only one with a 'beer belly', as I call it. He's been treated, fed, wormed, etc, exactly like the rest... but he's a little tubby boy. We just love him to death anyway, lol.

As for the panacur... safegaurd is a brand name of that, I'm sure you will find that at just about any feed store that carries horse wormers.

As for the company he keeps, while he may not speak goat, I don't believe he is prejudiced either, a great many famous (and not so famous) racehorses have had goats as stall companions to keep them from freaking out. While another horse may be best, your goat is just fine too.

Back