new mini/horse owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres a question...How the heck did horse's live in the wild??? It seems if the wind blows the wrong way, they get sick. Just asking?
Actually, horses, if cared for properly, are very hardy compared to other livestock species. I have owned many, many horses of various breeds over the last 22 years and I have only had three sick horses and all three got sick DIRECTLY after I brought them home (so they were weak/sick when I bought them) and all three were not being cared for properly (they were not being fed and/or wormed properly, etc.). And, I didn't have a proper barn until the summer of 2000, before that all of my horses were outside 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year with only trees as a "windbreak" and I blanketed them when it was going to be BOTH cold AND wet at the same time.

If the horses that you know get sick when the wind blows the wrong way, they probably aren't being taken care of properly.

I got the barn and dry lot ready for our new mini. We are going tomorrow evening to get her. He was raised only a few miles down the road, but we have been going there everyday to feed him and walk him. My wife is so excited. I hope he trailers ok. I went to tractor supply today and bought all new supplies and his feed.

Congratulations on your new mini! Everyone is right - it is hard to stop at just one! In 2008 I started back in with minis after a 10 year break from them by purchasing one gelding and now I'm up to 3!

As you can see, we are in Ohio, too. Feel free to contact me if you want any help with any in-state advice. We are just west of Columbus.

I saw that you asked about local clubs. I'm not sure if anyone answered you yet, but there is the Buckeye Miniature Horse Club. You can search and find their website.

Good luck!

Barbara

Congratulations on your new mini! Everyone is right - it is hard to stop at just one! In 2008 I started back in with minis after a 10 year break from them by purchasing one gelding and now I'm up to 3!

As you can see, we are in Ohio, too. Feel free to contact me if you want any help with any in-state advice. We are just west of Columbus.

I saw that you asked about local clubs. I'm not sure if anyone answered you yet, but there is the Buckeye Miniature Horse Club. You can search and find their website.

Good luck!

Barbara

I will search for that. I would like to get my daughter to a show and let her watch other kids and there minis.

Hi Mike! Welcome to the Forum....absolutely THE best place in the world for Miniature Horse enthusiasts!
default_aktion033.gif
There's a wonderful group of people here who will answer any of your questions & give you great advice.

You have already been told about the Bluegrass Miniature Horse Club....but there is also an AMHA Club which covers Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky. "The Mid America Miniature Horse Club". They sponsor several very nice shows in the Tri-State area each year.

I am also from Ohio, about 25 miles north of Dayton....what part are you from?

You have already been given lots of excellent advice here. I am glad to see new owners who are serious about wanting to do the best thing for their minis...and wanting to learn all they can about the breed.
default_yes.gif

Miniature Horses are so versatile, and there are so many things you can do with them.

Show, drive, train to do tricks, share with nursing homes, schools, et., parades...the possibilites are endless!

I started out over 20 years ago, and showed quite a bit back then. I have slowed down & haven't shown in the last few years. But, I do have a lot of fun with my Minis by taking them through parades, and sharing them with children at schools and birthday parties, or the elderly at nursing homes. My little Dwarf is also a "regular" feature at a local church each year during their Christmas program.

Your little girl is very lucky to have parents who have given her the wonderful gift of growing up with Miniatures. My grandaughter started riding her Mini when she was only 6 months old (just barely able to sit up). Of course her Daddy held her on the mini while we walked it around. But, she continued to ride until she outgrew her mini at about 7 years old. It's a wonderful way to give children confidence around horses....they don't seem to be as intimidated around the little ones, like they would be around full sized horses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/AnnasFirstRide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/FancyAnna.jpg

I know you will have great fun with your new "Mini" adventure you are starting. If I can be of any assistance....please feel free to contact me anytime.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say welcome. I am from Ohio as well. Nice to meet you
smile.gif

I had a last minute thought that if you just bringing him home you might not have thought of a muck rake/fork. These little guys make really little poop and I've tried several forks only to find that one called the "fine-tine" fork is the best. It's made in basket form so what you pick up doesn't roll right back out. The only drawback might be that the tines are very close and large shavings or straw doesn't shake out well. But then I use the sawdust type bedding and it's great with that. I lose very little bedding.

Unless you're fortunate enough to live close to some of the people listed on this site that sell mini equipment, you'll probably have to order things over the internet. Just do a search for miniature tack or equipment and post any questions.

Have fun with your newest addition and be sure to post a picture.

I suggest that you find out what kind of feed he's been getting and keep that up (assuming it's a good feed). If/when you do need to change feed remember to change it slowly (over a period of several days) to help keep their belly from causing problems.

Oops sorry....guess I should have said "welcome" first.

Oh some great advice here and lots of reading material!

I think the main things with a Minis health are good quality feed, regular worming, not feeding them from the ground to avoid becoming 'sanded'(though they will clean up the crumbs they drop)and vaccines.

I leave regular white salt and the dark mineral salt for all my Minis. They use both, as needed.

Perhaps once you find a good vet in your area (I would do that and not wait for an emergency to happen first) they may be able to recommend a GOOD farrier for hoof trimming for your Mini. I have seen some just horrible, some crippling trimming jobs on Miniatures by people who decide to do it themselves or people who call themselves a farrier. Farriers are not all created equal, LOL

Sounds like you have quite a fun project ahead of you for your whole family!

Oh some great advice here and lots of reading material!

I think the main things with a Minis health are good quality feed, regular worming, not feeding them from the ground to avoid becoming 'sanded'(though they will clean up the crumbs they drop)and vaccines.

I leave regular white salt and the dark mineral salt for all my Minis. They use both, as needed.

Perhaps once you find a good vet in your area (I would do that and not wait for an emergency to happen first) they may be able to recommend a GOOD farrier for hoof trimming for your Mini. I have seen some just horrible, some crippling trimming jobs on Miniatures by people who decide to do it themselves or people who call themselves a farrier. Farriers are not all created equal, LOL

Sounds like you have quite a fun project ahead of you for your whole family!
Oh, Yes Please find a good vet. Nothing against "cow people" but if they call a "cow" vet for a mini horse it's just asking for trouble.

I bred my stallion to a mini owned by a couple who had only had cows and when the madien mare delivered (all alone I might add) they had no idea what to do when she wouldn't accept the foal. Their regular vet (cow vet) told them to go get powered milk.

Long story but they lost the foal, after 9 days, because the vet didn't know enought about minis.

These are little horses but when they do get sick they go downhill so much faster than a big horse.

The vet came today, just to check our new mini out(Buckeye). He said he is doing fine and we are feeding him the right amounts. He is coming back in a month to geld him. Poor boy will lose his man hood.
sad.gif

The vet came today, just to check our new mini out(Buckeye). He said he is doing fine and we are feeding him the right amounts. He is coming back in a month to geld him. Poor boy will lose his man hood.
sad.gif
Glad the vet said all was fine. And, he won't know they're missing and will be happier in the long run.

Our new mini is settleing in well. He is alot of fun. He does not like carrots or apples. My wife tought him to give kisses. LOL

I want to thank everyone for all the help. I consider all of you a part of my family..
wink.gif

Hi , just thought I'd add my welcome here too ,
default_smile.png
I'm new as well !

been reading through the posts and learning some extra things too! I also found someones post about the poo -forks funny, since I just myself found this out in the past few days! lol the little poo from the minis is WAYYY too small for the forks I have for the big horses! lol

Good luck with your mini, have fun!

oh and about the carrots and such..if they've never had them..sometimes you have to offer them a few times before they actually "know " it's food! It helps when you have a new horse in with others that already "know" they're yummy and they see them eating them
default_smile.png

Hi Mike..also from Ohio..northwest of Dayton.
default_saludando.gif

You will love your little horse even more when he is gelded..I have 2 geldings and they are just the BEST!! My grand-daughter shows one and is moving on to the other one in driving next year...and possibly showing a filly from this year. Lots of FUN...truly the horse for anyone!

Grate carrots and apples up into his grain and he will learn to love them! Ditto on the "love him better as a gelding" thing. Welcome to the wonderful world of Miniatures!!!

Hello from central Oklahoma from another Dairy person. I grew up on a Jersey dairy and showed cattle for several years. Minis are wonderful and showing is fun. Welcome.
default_saludando.gif

Welcome and congrats!

Around here we call gelding "brain surgery" LOL...he will be a better pet being gelded
default_smile.png

As far as a companion for him....if you give him lots of attention, he will be fine for a bit while you decide. Another mini is the best friend he can have. A mare can be a good choice as she will help keep his manners in check...another gelding is also a good chouice as they will play....goats can work...but sometimes goats do chew tails, girls can be very vocal when they are in heat and sometimes may "butt" small children w/ their heads if not taught good manners.

Hope you enjoy your new bay. Please share pix when you can.

Angie

Latest posts

Back