NEW Mingus photos --

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Today was a glorious day, filled with beautiful horses playing in the sun!

We have a show coming this next Friday, and since Daryl will be chauffeuring Sir Mingus in his trailer, we thought it might be wise to make a trial run. We seem to enjoy making an "occasion" out of this sort of thing, we scheduled a playdate so that Mingus could meet Daryl's horses and get a chance to run free in one of his fields.

The day began smoothly, as Daryl maneuvered van and trailer, turning around easily in our rather tight driveway without crunching any of my plants (the garden is still, for the most part, in containers...many, many of them). Mingus loaded with only the slightest encouragement, which always bodes well. Keith rode in the back seat, keeping a watchful eye on Mingus, who seemed to enjoy the 12 minute ride, gazing out the windows and whinnying at horses and cows. His buddies, Flash and Thelonius, were none too thrilled to see him leave, but quickly decided that having the hay all to themselves more than made up for his absence.

When we got to Daryl's, we first demonstrated Mingus' new lunging skills...I need only to move the lunge line to my left hand and he knows the drill, circling me with a most determined trot. He's still a bit overweight, despite all the lunging, but at least he's showing some muscle...

100_0416mingus-lunge.jpg

We worked any road kinks out of his legs without getting overheated (more of a concern for me than Mingus, ahem...) then posed for a few pics, showing how well he now sets up and stands. Showoff that he is, he now poses as soon as he is whoa-ed, or whenever he thinks someone might be watching -- especially if they might have treats.

100_0417ming-stand.jpg

100_0419mingusslightstretc2.jpg

All of these activities took place in Daryl's front yard...separated from his back fenced yard and the two pastures, one for the girls (Lolly, SuzieQ and baby Sassy), one for the boys (Morgan and donkey Wyatt). Mingus was to have free run of the back yard, but was first introduced his hosts. The three girls were quite impressed, obviously unaware that while they may have roller skates, Mingus has no key (for those of you old enough to remember that song...) Mingus at first was more interested in the huge expanse of grass than the girls (he's such a gelding!), then played along, introducing himself gallantly with arched neck and plumed tail.

100_0420meet-the-girls.jpg

IPicture a cartoon thought bubble here with the words, "Where were you ladies when I was a stallion?"

Morgan and Wyatt were off attending to other matters (food, no doubt), so we turned Mingus loose to run the fence line with the girls. He then turned away from them to cut loose with the most breathtaking trot I have ever seen. I've always loved his gorgeous extended trot, faster than most minis can gallop, but he has never been a high stepper -- until today, that is. Mingus floated across the field, knees level with his chest, head held high, tail flagged high over his back...ever so effortlessly. Keith, Daryl and I all stood speechless, mouths agape. It took me a few moments to remember that I don't do well in the sunbefore I ducked into the shade.

(This part of Mingus' day was captured on analog video recorder, so we need to get this transferred to digital before I can share, but I promise this as soon as possible! It was a sight to behold!)

By now, Morgan and Wyatt had come to investigate the commotion. To pay it safe, Keith called Mingus, who came obediently to him, and led him over to meet the boys. Mingus and Morgan met with the diplomacy of world statesmen (actually, better than most of our current world leaders!), prancing and preening, yet behaving themselves. Wyatt, the perennial sidekick, offered his greetings and hung back to give the two macho (well, pseudo-macho in Mingus' case) men room to discuss world affairs.

100_0429meetingmorgan.jpg

We then gathered Mingus and retired to the shade, cooling him down and offering limited sips of water.

Judging from the friendly welcome Mingus received from the girls, and his over-the-fence friendship with young Suzie Q, Daryl took Lolly and her baby into the barn and we introduced Mingus and Suzie Q in the same field. The two quickly bonded (every filly or mare needs her gelding buddy) and they trotted laps around the barn, then around the mare's pasture, each showing off their beautiful moves. Suzie showed Mingus how to enjoy the shade of her favorite apple tree, and the two relaxed, enjoying the peaceful afternoon.

After we humans went inside to watch the videotape and digital clips on the tv, it was time to load up and head for home. Mingus was not at all ready to leave his new-found friends and did not want to load, but after a couple of balks, he climbed on in for the return trip home.

As we turned to head up our hill, we saw a familiar pickup truck at the side of the road -- Marie (Shortpig of this forum) had the exquisite timing to come by for a visit just as we returned home. Once Mingus was unloaded (to a chorus of whinnies from his buddies), we all sat on the lawn and visited.

I'll be posting tomorrow regarding Marie's part of the visit, but for now, I'm exhausted, so will end this here...all in all a magnificent day!

Once again, thanks go to Daryl for hosting Mingus' playdate and for taking such great photos/

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, a story with PICTURES!! Woohoo! :aktion033:

susanne said:
...His buddies, Flash and Thelonius, were none too thrilled to see him leave, but quickly decided that having the hay all to themselves more than made up for his absence.
*snicker* Typical boys.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When we got to Daryl's, we first demonstrated Mingus' new lunging skills...I need only to move the lunge line to my left hand and he knows the drill, circling me with a most determined trot. He's still a bit overweight, despite all the lunging, but at least he's showing some muscle...
100_0416mingus-lunge.jpg
Oh. My. God. :new_shocked: I am pretty much without words. I don't know if I should say he looks like a QH, Arab, or Morgan as he shows positive characteristics of all three, but I do know he is most gorgeously horse shaped. Remember, I've never seen a picture of him moving before! You can tell from his conformation that he's a good mover but that is just the greatest picture. I want my drooling icon.

... and we introduced Mingus and Suzie Q in the same field. The two quickly bonded (every filly or mare needs her gelding buddy) and they trotted laps around the barn, then around the mare's pasture, each showing off their beautiful moves. Suzie showed Mingus how to enjoy the shade of her favorite apple tree, and the two relaxed, enjoying the peaceful afternoon.
I am hearing music from the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack. Did he pluck her an apple? Such a gentleman! I wouldn't have wanted to leave either if I was Mingus.

Thanks for sharing Susanne! Now I triply (is that a word?) can't wait to meet him this Friday! He and his natural (or regrown natural at least) coat are gorgeous.

Leia

Thanks, Leia. I'm always trying to decide what breed he looks most like -- and it's usually a combination of those three...

As you can imagine, it's absolutely killing me not to be able to post photos of when he was running free -- I've watched him move for the four years we've owned him, yet I've never seen anything like it!

(By the way, when this photo was taken, he had yet to really extend himself)

Wow he looks great!
default_smile.png

Looking forward to seeing you and he and Keith and Daryl, too!

Thanks for sharing the description ALMOST made up for the lack of visual stimuli in the form of Mingus showing off.

Almost.

;)

Liz

I always love your stories! Mingus is really handsome.. looks like a Standardbred to me! :lol:

Sounds like everyone had a really good time and really like all the pictures.

HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

I really like his shoulder, he is a looker.

You cant beat bay, he's my faverit color to.

I cant believe i've never seen a picture of him before either.

VERY NICE

default_smile.png

Leeana H.

Great story and pics. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Looks like Mingus is really built to drive! :bgrin Good luck with your show on Friday!

Thanks, everyone!

You know, I was just looking at the photo of Mingus with Morgan...the last photo in my post. Since he is not here to defend himself, I have to say that while Mingus is not at his ideal weight, he's NOT as fat as he looks in that photo!

(Of course, I say that about all of MY photos, but in his case it's true!)

I think Mingus looks WONDERFUL Suzanne!
default_yes.gif
: He is quite a handsome dude...and I also think he would make a great driving horse! :aktion033:

Ahhh. I'm a lurker but I always love seeing pics of this boy. He's breathtaking <3

I agree with gelding most boys but I have to say -- i'd pay big for a Mingus foal! Hahah.

You know my personal preference is for them to look like peeled onions, but I do think you have Mingus in fabulous shape and to me, in that lunging picture, he looks like a little warmblood going around!!!!

And, you've inspired me to ask H to take pics of me lunging my own nags. This means, I will need to lunge them in full hair, make up, and jewelry -- don't we all lunge in diamonds? :lol:

Kenna, I'm honored that you would come in from lurking to comment on Mingus! And as for gelding him, every now and then I wish I could breed him, but then I go back over my reasons and am reassured that I made the correct decision. Biggest of all is that he suffered from testerone poisoning as a stallion, and was truly out of control. I never could have shown or campaigned him (many on this forum remember my story about Mingus at the greatest singles bar in the world when we took him to be measured for hardshipping...and my nearly broken nose!), so few would have known of him to send their mares to him, and we have no mares of our own. As a gelding, he has all the fire and spirit, but at the same time he's my sweet lovey boy. (He tried so hard to be that way as a stallion, but his hormones ruled.)

Now, Jill, I always don my finery for lunging -- diamonds and silk...as in the trainer wears Prada...haha!

BTW, I consider your comments truly high praise, especially knowing your grooming preferences. I see the warmblood comparison, too, in the lunging photo...funny thing is his legs look much more substantial in these shots...sometimes it scares me to look at his delicate cannon bones.

Thanks, dona, sedeh and everyone for your compliments...BTW, he is excelling at ground driving and well on his way to the real thing. And Shari...he is hugely complimented that you don't think he's fat...after all, he was quite taken with you at the last show!

Leeanna, I have to giggle...I'm always afraid that people are saying "oh come on, not again!" when I post Mingus photos...

I love that first photo! When I first saw it, I thought you were writing about your full-size horse. What a beautifully proportioned horse!

Leeanna, I have to giggle...I'm always afraid that people are saying "oh come on, not again!" when I post Mingus photos...
No Susanne, we say "Oh come on, not the SAME THREE PHOTOS again!" New photos have us jumping up and down for joy! :lol:

Leia

I don't think he looks fat at all!

He is an incredibly beautiful horse! :)

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back