New Member - Underweight Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth Kokoruda

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the forum and to mini's. I recently rescued two minis from the slaughter system. I run a retirement sanctuary for senior, blind and permanently disabled horses. Mini's are a new addition. I have an older gelding that is losing weight despite everything I've tried so I need some expert advice.

I've tried Reliance, SafeChoice Maintenance, SafeChoice Senior, Senior Carbcare, Orchard Grass & Timothy pellets, Hay stretcher - all dry and soaked.

He'll eat about 2 cups and stop.

He's been wormed and get's free choice hay. I have him on some pasture now too...

What else can I try? A textured feed? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Beth
Travellers Rest Farm Sanctuary

Does he have good teeth? A dental issue could be a cause.
I have always heard alfalfa is good.
Another thing to try is top dressing with Aloe Vera. You can buy it in Walmart by the rubbing alcohol section and it is inexpensive. I have not used it for weight gain, but a hrose I have now was having stomach upset. she has been on the aloe for a couple of months now and doing great.

Teeth are fine. I was going to try Alfalfa pellets soaked and see if he will take to those but he hasn't shown any interest previously in anything soaked. Wondering if I just haven't found the right feed, but I've tried the same thing he had while in QT plus a bunch of others over time, so it's a bit baffling.

You say teeth are fine, but who checked out his teeth? Equine dentist? Vet that specializes in dental work? Or just the regular vet? How much experience with minis (the vet or dentist)?

Back