New member, new to minis & surprise mini foal!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there and congrats! I'm about an hour north of Austin and new to minis also. Thanks to Tony who let us visit his huge selection of gorgeous minis twice already in the 4 years since moving to Texas I have been infected with the mini virus with no chance of cure
default_smile.png

This is our little girl who I was told looked like a mix between a Great Pyrenees dog and a mountain goat when we got her in February.

beforeafter.jpg

Thanks Tony for all the advice you've given us and Carol for showing us all your babies last year! I'm happy to see Lil horse is doing well - we visited when he was 4 days young
default_smile.png

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I thought I'd finally give you one. Hopefully you will all get notifications of the post.

I'll let the picture do the talking, but I will say that in the photo, Curio is 4 1/2 months old and his butt is now taller than his momma's, his legs are also thicker. He will be 6 months old November 12th. I'm thinking he has Haflinger blood in him.

He's very sane for such a young colt and leads, loads, clips, picks his feet up for me - all with and without his momma around. I was really hoping that she would wean him herself, but as she enjoys being a momma so much, I will be buying the paneling I need to make a new stall (I have 2 stalls and 4 horses) this week and weaning will begin. I don't see him being too stressed about it at all since he mainly hangs out with the boss mare (Standardbred/Draft) anyway.

Thanks for reading.
default_smile.png

image.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
That is crazy! Thank god the mare didnt have any trouble having him but I cannot believe how big he is now!

I'm not quite sure how big he is now, but his withers are still shorter than momma's, even though his butt is now higher.

What does everyone think? Half mini, half Haflinger? Poor Foxy if it was so!

Wow if he is haflinger he could be up to 15 hands . Poor mare that is a big baby to have. Well you would have a driving horse for sure with him, maybe even riding.

The colt is a pretty boy! pretty mare too... you know you may have saved her life by allowing her to lose some weight and not over feeding the foal inside. If you had gotten her fat as a butterball with those legs and his size she may not have been able to have him. Good luck with them! a lot of first time mini owners who got "surprised" like you did do not have such wonderful outcomes.

No, he is not Haflinger, do not fear! Probably a Pony stallion, maybe Rocky Mountain or even a heavier Shetland.....but not haffy, it's just his colouring (and remember he isn't Chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail he just looks it!) that is making you think that.

What height is the mare?

No, he is not Haflinger, do not fear! Probably a Pony stallion, maybe Rocky Mountain or even a heavier Shetland.....but not haffy, it's just his colouring (and remember he isn't Chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail he just looks it!) that is making you think that.

What height is the mare?
I'll go with Jane on this, not likely a Haflinger, but with silver in the mix with minis, the colors can sure look close. I think my Tana looks a bit like a mini Haflinger, but she's all mini. Here's Tana:

Tana - July 22, 2010 - standing.jpg

Chanda, apropos of nothing, was there not Silver found in Haflingers??
There may not be silver in Haflingers, but their sorrel with flaxen coloring can look similar to those with silver (especially considering the hundreds of different shades of silver, look at how many silver bays are mistaken for sorrels).

In the back of my mind there is an article and a discussion form a couple of years back about a Haffy testing positive for Silver- nothing to do with how they look as I know Silver has no effect on Red- maybe it just happened in my mind!!!
default_wacko.png

In the back of my mind there is an article and a discussion form a couple of years back about a Haffy testing positive for Silver- nothing to do with how they look as I know Silver has no effect on Red- maybe it just happened in my mind!!!
default_wacko.png
A little dyslexic today, I misread your previous post.

If those pics are current I wouldnt be backing that mare off any of her food anytime soon. I also wouldnt be driving her at all until she gains much more weight. If you havent already I recommend weaning that monster! Wow he is big. Not sure what he is but I sure like him.

Hello and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I love your state and am missing your wonderful food already. Congrats on your cute colt.
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to meet you all the other day, hope you will come back out and drive one of these days.... after your big boy is weaned and his mom is back in shape.
default_smile.png

Jan

What height is the mare?
Her papers say 35.5”

I haven't measured her (or him) because I don't have an accurate way of doing so. I looked into getting a mini measuring stick, but all the ones I found are $50 and I'm not up for spending that for just curiosity.

Good to meet you all the other day, hope you will come back out and drive one of these days.... after your big boy is weaned and his mom is back in shape.
default_smile.png

Jan
Great meeting you too. I just made another post about my mare. It'll be a while before I will be driving her and I'll wean monster boy as soon as I can, though she's not making much milk with what is currently going on.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=131485

Here's a question for the drivers - when is a good time to start driving momma again? Do you wait until you start weaning and leave baby home or do you bring baby with?

Thanks,

Robin
Hi Robin - like the others - welcome to the World of Very Small Equine!! It's great fun to drive them and even better when you share it with your children. I'm now starting on the 2nd generation - our granddaughters.

As to the ? - depends on the situation! I've taken a foal as young as 10 days old with us to a local horse show and held him (shoot - when moved the truck/trailer he rode in the front seat in front of the air conditioner and wasn't real happy when I removed him when done. The onlookers were so surprised to see the tiny foal hop OUT OF THE CAB) while his dam was shown in shomanship, walk/trot - for the pony and w/t for the youth. He nursed between classes, we didn't mingle with a lot of other horses - had our own water and buckets, mare & 2 other ponies were utd on vax.

I've hauled others when getting my driving lessons in 2010 and in 2012. Currently have a 4 month old colt that goes driving with us down the road - he's been tied to his dam and she's working on the right as a pair.

10aug3be826.jpg
GG is actually 2 months old in this pic.

12apr21ncwhma570.jpg

12apr21ncwhma576.jpg

12nov20ze151.jpg
Ze, a surprise like yours, who also may not end up registered, is 2 months old in this pic ground driving with his dam. Next pic, if it loads, he is a bit older.

13jan15becaz306.jpg
Pic taken with my phone while I'm driving. This is Cassie (bay spot mare w/ colt) 6th hitch.

So it's a matter of how you are able to work your mare. We also have our foals where we can pen them up w/o the mares. On Cassie's 4th hitch, Ze stayed in the pasture with two other pony mares and two fillies that were already weaned (the dam of one is the light silver dapple on the left in this pic). I spent about 1/2 hour preparing the mare and hitching and 1/2 hour actually driving - but on our property and then another 10 minutes out to the same road in above pic and down that road for a bit & returned home. Ze ran around a bit, calling, but was OK. She did awesome - she's started calling more since he's going with us than she was before.... But she behaves and minds - this is her 4th foal and she wasn't handled a lot with the others but "knows the drill".

I love silvers & silver bays. Would love to see more pics of yours as you go along. Hope you meet up with all the people near you!! I currently travel to TX a couple of times a year - but not that far ...south(?). I've taken ponies both of the two times I went last year - once took equipment and not only drove at my Dad's VA home but ended up showing my pair as well... Had a ball and planning on going back in April 2013.

OK, more research on posts I'd missed!

Latest posts

Back