New member, new to minis & surprise mini foal!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oof, just finished reading the whole thread and my post above isn't very appropriate at the moment. How are your pair doing??

Foxy healed OK? Now I need to go find the other thread again... Take care!

Not sure if anyone will get any notifications of this post, but I thought this is where I should put the update on my surprise colt.

He's growing up to be a very flashy boy. He has a good brain, though I am looking forward to gelding him. Having a stallion is not something I care to deal with long term. He will be one year old May 12th. I measured him when he was 11 months old and he was 9.1HH (37.5in - 2in taller than his momma was)

image.jpg

Taken April 2013

image.jpg

Taken May 5th, 2013

He's trying out a Summer Whinnies sock on his left front, to help keep the biting flies off his legs. He left it alone and now wears them on all 4.

Thanks for looking!

Robin

Thanks. How common is it for mini x mini to equal monster size baby? And when do minis stop growing? It doesn't matter to me what size he ends up being, but I'm still thinking he looks like a mini Haflinger.

Ooops...didn't see the date of the original post, nor remember responding to it last year! LOL!

He's lovely
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He is looking good.
default_smile.png
If he's 37.5" at a year he may not grow more than another inch or so.. sire may have just been a mini with some taller shetland in his background. So much variation in size with minis and especially further back in pedigrees, probably a good many who were not accurately measured or recorded.. At any rate, he will be a good size for driving and should make a nice kids pony.

Jan

Just thought I'd post another update.

I had my mom bring her big body clippers since Curio still had a ton of baby fuzz/winter hair on his barrel & legs. I've included the before and after photos of him. All I can say is, "Wow! What a difference!"

I can definitely say that I no longer think he looks like a Haflinger. ;)

Would love to hear what everyone else thinks of his confirmation. He's now 13 months old and as of this post, he's a gelding! *happy dance*

The other picture is one I took today. His first day of learning to lunge. He did really, really well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

WOW!! He looks fabulous - what a handsome chap!!
default_yes.gif

Just a small word of warning - we dont usually lunge youngsters until they are over 2 years old. Travelling in circles can cause stress and do unseen damage to young bones, muscles and tendons. Lots of free turnout time, general education and 'straight line' walks/work will keep him well occupied for this year.

Good luck - he's going to make a brilliant driving prospect for you.
default_yes.gif

I would add that if you do need to lunge use the biggest circle that you possibly can to relieve that joint stress. I know there are times when I have had to lunge youngsters and that is what I have done. The bigger the circle the better.

I am having him go in the biggest circle possible as I do not want to add undue stress to his joints. I'm only lunging him at a trot at all because the vet said I needed to for a week to help keep the swelling down from him being gelded. (Lunge at a trot twice a day for 15 minutes)

I only lunged him once today and turned him out the rest of the day and I could definitely tell that he was moving slower than he has been since it was done on Thursday.

I bought him some mini splint boots, but they are way too small for him. His cannon bones are about 9" long. The lunge caveson I have is also just barely big enough. I was wondering about trying to find some Welsh Section A tack. ;)

It's about time I post yet another update. Curio (surprise mini colt) is now 28 months old and I've been able to get him driving. Yes, I did a lot of ground work and ground driving first. The first time I put him to the cart, I couldn't believe how calm he was about the whole thing. He is now 40" tall (looking back through this thread, he was 37.5in at 11 months). I suppose he's officially no longer a mini.

I've included a few recent photos of him for your enjoyment & review.

And a video taken during the first time he was put to.

http://youtu.be/rGQWnN0mZgo?list=UU4Hpq4mOcKs6zy7izAI6iwg

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

What a cute guy! I remember when you first started posting on him. How the time flies!

Latest posts

Back