New Member and Mini Owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Reaction score
Hi-

I just joined this forum after reading some of the posts and if you have some time, I would like to get some advise on my new rescued mini. I'll try to give you some history without getting long-winded.

I recently (7/14/08) adopted a rescued mini from Pure Thoughts Horse Rescue. They traveled to an Ohio auction in May of this year and were able to save all the horses from slaughter. I went to one of the donor barns to look at the mini's they had acquired (there were 5 total) and fell in LOVE with this little guy. He is emaciated and his front feet are VERY overgrown. He currently is staying at a close friends house who also has a mini. I do have a couple of questions having not ever owned a mini before and was hoping you all could help in answering some.

He was rescued as a stallion and was gelded on on either the 5th or 6th of July. His mane (which was shaved because it was so matted) "flops" over his neck. I did have a full blood work up done on him and everything is good except for his insulin level which is a 6. So that rules out Cushings disease (thank goodness!). Has anyone else had experienced this? In addition, as I stated before his feet are very overgrown and his hooves "roll" under and (excuse me for the slang term) "squish" his frog. Has anyone seen a mini's feet go back to normal from such a state? The ferrier is set to come out on the 10th to do all the horses, but I was just curious if anyone had come across another mini in a similiar state. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated. The dentist did come out on the 24th and turns out Snickers isn't 9 like we thought...he is more likely between 18 and 21. His teeth were in really rough shape and it's going to take a couple more trips to get him where he should be, but he is eating better.

Thanks so much for reading and (in advance) for the tips. He really is quite a mellow guy considering what he's been through!

First of All...Welcome, Congratulations and "Bless You" for saving this little guy!
default_wub.png
Can we see pictures???

Sure-these were taken on the 15th. I did take some more over the weekend, just need to get them from my camera. Thanks so much for the interest, as I said I am new to mini ownership and he really has stolen my heart.

Well, I am new to minis too, just wanted to say good luck with him, I am sure you will look after him well, poor boy. Sorry for not being any use on the advic front!

My heart breaks for him!! Do you have a full body shot?? He does look like he has some leg deformities going on. He "could" be a minimal expression dwarf but hard to know without a full body shot. And even with a picture it may be hard to know until he gains weight. He has such a sweet face. Trimming will definitely help but since his leg structure is not right they will never be "normal" This is why they roll over.

The flopping over of his mane is probably due to the weight loss. When he gains weight it may or may not go back to normal.

How old is he?

Bless you for taking him in!

Thanks so much for the well wishes-he is definately in good hands now and will NOT be going anywhere else. He'll just be exposed to a WHOLE bunch of love!

Good luck to you on your new mini's too!
default_biggrin.png

My heart breaks for him!! Do you have a full body shot?? He does look like he has some leg deformities going on. He "could" be a minimal expression dwarf but hard to know without a full body shot. And even with a picture it may be hard to know until he gains weight. He has such a sweet face. Trimming will definitely help but since his leg structure is not right they will never be "normal" This is why they roll over.
The flopping over of his mane is probably due to the weight loss. When he gains weight it may or may not go back to normal.

How old is he?

Bless you for taking him in!
Mine did too-he was the only one in that shape. There were 2 that I could have picked, but how can you turn your back on that face? and if you talk to anyone who listens to me talk about him they'll tell you that I kept saying,"It was his his face that did me in-overlooked all the other stuff and I fell in love with his face"

Here are a couple of full body shots. That's funny that you say dwarf because on his coggins his name is "cute dwarf mini".

He is between 18 and 21 according to the dentist. The rescue group thought about 9 or 10....

Again-thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the body shots, I have to agree with whoever wrote that on his papers. He is a dwarf. Its good to know that as there are some health issues specific to dwarfs so you can be on the lookout for that. Remember to trim down the hooves slowly as hes not used to them being trimmed. He also has way too much heel on his back hooves. Also feed up slowly but you probably know that. I can see why you fell in love!
default_wub.png

He sure is a cutie
default_wub.png
:wub Thank you soooooooooo much for rescuing him!!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp I too have a rescue mare though she was in pretty good shape when rescued...pregnant but pretty healthy overall! She is pictured in my avatar, Sahara is her name now. Good luck with him...I'm sure he is in very good hands with you!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Welcome to the wonderful world of minis!!!!!!!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png

I am still learning about minis myself, so I can offer very little but, Congrats on your new little love, welcome to the forum, and best of luck to you.
default_saludando.gif

Welcome, you found the right place to get a wealth of information on caring for your new best friend. Thank you for caring enough to give him a chance at a happy life during his senior years. Hugs to you and your new friend.

Good on you for taking on a new 'special child' to love!

I have no personal experience with minis in that shape personally, (Thankfully or I'd more then likely be in jail for maiming someone)

However, I have had personal involvement with big horse rescues with horrific feet (Think 13 inch curling feet-
default_smileypuke.gif
), and with love and patient time, their feet do come back pretty well, but often need special care through out their lives.

Thank you again for his sake for taking him on- it's clear he'll be well loved!!
default_wub.png
:wub

What a wonderful little fella you have there! He is so lucky to have found you, and like someone else just said he has waited his whole to belong to you! Best of luck with him and please keep us updated.

With some weight and care he will look like a totally different horse in a few weeks.

Beth

well... good luck with him and considering what ive seen of them ide probbaly say he is a mimial dwark good luck
default_luck.gif
default_pray.gif
default_luck.gif
default_pray.gif

Thanks everyone for the comments-I really appreciate it. I have not owned a horse in well over 20 years and he was a bit larger as a quarter horse. This is my first experience with a mini and I can see why everyone loves them so much. I stated before that he seems to have the sweetest disposition considering the awful treatment he had to have endured. Anyway-I attached some pics from the 26th there are a couple of his feet as well- and his stablemate "Chase".

Again-thanks for all the kind words and I'll keep you posted as to what the farrier says about the feet.....
default_smile.png

give me a few for the pics-I have to change the size-sorry
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back