new mare Rosie due any day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would like to saddly announce Rubys mom Moonshine's health turned for the worse last night. .. :/ she started pawing and rolling so called the vet right away and said she has a infection in her he doesn't know were but obviously it's extremely painful for her :/... now she is getting tested and checked for everything but it isnt looking good for her at all :/ hopefully I don't lose this girl she was doing so good and well.. gained a good 50 pounds or more and eating normal amounts of food would hurt to have to let her go now
default_sad.png

OMG!! Oh, I'm so sorry to read this. I'm so sorry for you, and all you've done to help her along, and your quick action to try and help her with the vet. With only 4 minutes between your posts, did the vet have to put her down?

I see on your other post, the vet determined cancer. I'm glad you acted quickly to keep her from suffering.

I'm just so sorry. she was a beautiful lady who gave you a wonderful gift in your precious little one.

Run free, little one!

~~Diane at Castle Rock

Last edited:
He put her down right after. ..I have Internet up to my barn..she was taking her last breaths as I was typing when I was done crying we put her out of her suffering :'(

Just responded to your other post but would like to add here how very sorry I am. We got to know Moonshine here as you posted about her pregnancy and the welcomed birth of sweet Ruby, and I loved watching her condition improve as she received your care and attention. She was sooooooooooooo lucky to have found you and although her time with you was to be short, she found kindness and love at last. I know you must be heart broken but giving little Ruby lots of hugs will help I'm sure. Do keep in touch and let us know how Ruby progresses - she's one very special baby.

((((HUGS))))

Oh no I am so sorry to hear this has happened. She was a lucky mare to have found you. Ruby will help you thru this terrible time.

Sending you best wishes
default_yes.gif

Fabulous pictures. She was a beautiful mare, and she left you a VERY special gift in Ruby. So glad that Gem is being such a sweet "mommy" for this precious little one!

Thanks <3 she was a cow at times ( rearing up and stepping on my toes) but she had a sweet soul behind that pain <3 just like Gem was when I got her.. even if Ruby is inches apart from Gems height Gem actually tries to let Ruby nurse aha
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Little update on my two girls
default_smile.png
they really enjoyed trick or treating aha !! And Ruby is currently 31 inches and only 5 months :$ can anyone guess what size she should mature around? Thanks... if it helps her mom was 39 inches
default_sad.png

10561649_782977095125300_7846211762461716044_n.jpg

009.JPG

008.JPG

10712800_769613599794983_7862228021501160362_n.jpg

10392497_769613406461669_1163211624400647814_n.jpg

Oh how cute they are!!!!!

Based on the standard calculator here on LB, she's approximately 84% of her mature height, or she should mature around 37" tall. A bit shorter than mom, but still a big girl! Remember, these are just averages.

What a cute pair they make - so glad to see that Ruby is coping well without her Mum. Thanks for the update.
default_yes.gif

Alright thanks I want her to be a big girl lol and she is but isnt.. shes on foal feed to fatten up but doesn't seam to be working any advice?

Is your foal feed one for weaners or is she still on the mare and foal feed? How much are you giving her? Also how many times have you wormed her - having wormed our mares within 12 hours of them foaling, I usually worm the foals at 4, 5 and 6 months with a 'gentle' wormer for round worms, then depending upon the state of the land they are grazing (mixing with other horses) I usually continue with the same wormer every couple of months until they reach a year when they change to the same wormers that I use for my adult horses.

Hope this helps - maybe others can also offer suggestions. Remember that the shock of losing her Momma may have given her a bit of a set back??

Latest posts

Back