new mare Rosie due any day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol
default_smile.png
ur mare is due soon too?

Cuddly can mean that baby will be here before you know it!! Also a cup of feed per day is not nearly enough, you really need to up it especially due to her lack of condition - my fat/overweight pre foaling/latating mares get at least 3 cups of mare and foal feed over the course of a day plus a cup ful of balancer.

Yes but she isn't use to it.. she came to me 2-3 weeks ago nearly starved to death. . Been told by the other girl who has Rosies sister that she's only giving her a cup... and that is enough for her as giving her to much in less then a week can be bad for her

In the beginning when you first got her, the transition to 1 cup per day was a good ration to start with. But, now you can safely start upping her grain slowly. If it's been 2-3 weeks, then certainly she is ready for more, as she is nearing delivery and will need all the reserves she has. Start giving her a second cup at the "opposite" feeding -- if she's getting 1 cup in the morning, start giving her 1 cup at night. I don't know about Rosie's sister, but at this stage, she needs to build a reserve for the very hard work she is about to do. The additional cup is not too much for her to handle, as you've given her several weeks to adjust.

She's looking closer each day, and with a little rolling to move baby forward, and a little more elongation, she'll be ready. But please, give her a bit more feed since it's been 2-3 weeks which is plenty of time to make her adjustment.

Just as Anna's example -- and she has wonderful pastures so feeds less grain that I ever did -- since I had "dry-lots" here, my lactating and pregnant mares got 10-12 cups of grain, plus several flakes of alfalfa each day during their last trimester, and none were fat.

Shes only been on grain for 2 days lol :p not 2-3 weeks I had her for 2-3 weeks.. like I just said she needs to get use to it as she never had grain or good pasture before

Okay. I thought you started her on grain shortly after she arrived. Give her a few days, then increase it a little, and a small amount every few days. She should do fine.

Looking forward to seeing this little one!

tummy has really dropped tonight... she looks great! udder could fill some more still but be careful as she may do that last filling right before foaling, oops I forget its your morning there hehe
Can you give her any hay as well? good idea with slowly increasing her feed, can I ask if you have been giving her any mineral supplements? this will help the foal and her, sorry if this question has already been asked...
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there
default_smile.png
I give her 4 flakes of hay a night and even then she never eats it all but uses it as bedding she also has a mineral and salt block in her stall
default_smile.png

awesome! sounds like you're doing everything right! =D
haha thats what you get for having a mare in foal! that will be me in about a months time then you can pick on me!
default_giveup.gif

Back