new mare Rosie due any day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that at 5 months she should now be wormed, if you haven't done that already. I always start out with something gentle like Safeguard the first time, and then 4 weeks later use a regular Ivermectin wormer.

During her weanling time, she should be getting some high protein. If she's still on the mare/foal feed, try adding some Alfalfa pelltets to her feed, as it will give her a protein boost, and is a tummy soother also. With a high protein diet, you should start to see her blossom in muscle tone and strong bones, and lose any "hay belly" along the way.

Always with these weanlings, you want to continue "feeling" her with your hands, especially in the winter, as what seems to be a "fat" horse usually isn't during the winter, and they can become quite thin under the fluff. You're doing great, and just boosting her with some alfalfa pellets in her feed, or adding alfalfa hay will be good for her, and you should see some positive changes in her appearance.

2 cups mare/foal feed really isn't that much for a growing baby regardless of size. [Typical pelleted feeds are about 3cup per pound, so she's not even getting 1# of baby food.]

My boys, all B-size, the three of them shared 3-quart of feed daily when they were weanlings plus lots of hay (I gave them 1 quart in the morning, and 2 at night, so each boy got 1-quart feed daily). [i know we are supposed to feed by weight, and I'm sure I weighed the feed, but now that they are 2 year olds, the only thing I can remember is that they got 3-quarts a day as weanlings and into their yearling year.]

She doesn't get mare and foal feed she gets weanling foal feed lol.. and two cups for me is quite a bit considering the vet told us to give her half a cup but we decided to boost it up like we did to moonshine she doesn't even eat half of it because she just wants to rush outside.. and thesw cups arent actual cups there big scoops.. and she gets two in the morning and if she eats it all then one at night

As a growing weanling, her feed should be 14-16% protein. Is that what the food is that she's getting? And as I said, adding alfalfa pellets would boost the protein level. I always did creep-feeding of little ones, which means there was food in front of them and available all day long, so they could nibble to their heart's content during the day. Much like small children, that can't stuff themselves, but just nibble as they go all day long.

Maybe you could try having food available for her during the day so she doesn't have to try and rush through her food before going outside.

:/ if I do that she cant go outside with the other horses and she would be locked up in a stall all day as her pasture mates are a goat and Gem they would eat it. ..and not sure but its very hight in protein. .. also how much alfalfa pellets would I give her?

Whatever size scoop you decide to use, she should probably be getting about 1# of weanling (growth, mare/foal, whatever the particular brand calls it) feed daily, possibly even a bit more.

I have one that rushes through his breakfast in spring and summer cause he wants out to graze, so that time of year, I give him a smaller breakfast and a larger supper (he's stalled at night, so no one can eat his food); now that it's cold he's content to eat his food.

Sounds like she should be getting plenty, perhaps a growth spurt has her looking a bit off right now. They seem to go through those gangly phases at the worst time.

Maybe
default_smile.png
she's full of energy lol but just want her to gain weight

Latest posts

Back