New Mare isn't drinking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

littlehorse2

Honey isn't drinking muck water. She gets a very wet beet pulp mash and gets wet ahy due to her heaves. She is drinking some , but not more than a half a bucket a day. She's peeing and pooping fine and doesn't seem dehyderated. My other 2 drink about 10 gallons or more between the both of them, but I'm luck if she drinks 2 gallons all day. Should I be worried? The vet was out on Wednesday and he said she looks good.

Christy

Littlehorse, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I would just watch her and a good way to check to see if she is getting dehydrated is the skin pinch test. Grab a fold of skin on her neck and pull slightly. If it goes right back to where it was, she's probably fine. However, if the skin stays pinched out or is slow going back to flat, then you need to be worried. Also watch her flanks. A horse will get drawn up in the flank and look very lean when they haven't been drinking. Hope that helps and this is just how I would handle things, others may have some other advice.

You already got good advice. I just wanted to add, that she is also getting some liquid from her wet beet pulp, which may be why she isn't drinking as much plain water as you think she should.

MA

Might try mixing a little extra salt in her beet pulp just to increase her thrist. Mary

Also a possibility your water tastes different to her and she might find it not to her liking. If this is the case she will grow used to it over time.

Hi

The WET beet pulp is a good idea. It sounds like she is drinking, peeing, pooping okay. I would imagine your water tastes different to her than what she is used to getting.

Keep an eye on her, and you certainly seem to be doing that. She should be fine.

B

Also.....all horses are different. I have some who will routinely drink 4 - 5 gallons a day...and others who only as little as a gallon or two. What's normal for one, may be a sign of worry for another. The trick is knowing what is "normal" for each horse.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back