New Laptop computer, few questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Hello,

just got a new laptop computer. A inexpensive one since our current computer is getting older and slower, and alot of programs on it due to our website. Anywho, it come compatable for WIFI, and when I messing around with it while we were out and about. About 12 miles from home got internet!! Its so wierd to check your e-mail sitting in the truck lol. Anyways, I'm guessing our town does not have wireless hot spot around, since we do not pick in up at our house.

My question, is there anything I can buy or a service or something to get wireless interent at my house, it would be nice since the laptop is so much faster for checking emails and sending out videos and such.

Thanks,

Christina

We had wireless on our laptop through Verizon for a couple years. You may want to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a wireless laptop and take it on business trips with me. At home, I have a secure wireless router and at the office, I use a cable network. I love it
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

I have Wildblue and have a router at home so i can be anywhere in the house

We live out in the country, I had to buy a router and I signed up through our phone company for DSL. Before that we only had dial up and it was v e r y

s l o w.

I also have a router that works anywhere in the house... and got DSL only because we met one of the Techs from the phone company. They had to get it out to him for his job.. and we managed to wiggle our way into the deal too. Is not offered and you have to know about it to ask. So feel very lucky!

Make sure you have a secure key code for your router. Because it is easy for anyone to drive by and pick up your signal. Pirates don't only come on the High Seas.

Christina..if you were not in a WiFi zone somewhere.. then you were picking up a signal and piggy backing on someone elses router. A lot of people do not know how to secure their router.

You should also look into putting "LoJack" onto your laptop.

I agree with what Shari said and also want to say be careful of what you pull up online when you are out in public places. I never pull up financial websites or my client database when I'm away from home / office where it is secure.

default_488.gif
Congratulations on your new laptop.
default_488.gif
On Thursday, my husband bought me one too!!
default_risa8.gif
I live in the country where there is no DSL so we bought a wireless card through AT&T. I just pop in my USB Port and off we go. Yesterday, for the first time, I was able to watch Marestare and enjoyed watching the Reece Family 2008 Production Sale.

Went today to see about wireless, and seems that all i could find was a monthly payment plan type. They did get coverage in this area. I wasn't expecting to pay that much tho.

Shari, it was a Subway WiFi I picked up on lol. Our computer lets us know when it picks up connections, and says if they are secure or not. I have stayed off them since, and I have just turned the WiFi finder off for now.

I would like to get the little card, how much did yours cost though AT&T??

My husband set this up and he said it costs us around $60.00 per month for 5 gigs of data.

Our card costs $50.00 because we only did a one year agreement. I believe they are free with a 2 year agreement. Try checking with Verizon, Nextel or AT&T.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back