New Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did dial 309 263-4044.

That is what is in my phone as dialed and didn't work.

I typed it here wrong but dialed it correctly.

Yup I dialed 309 263 4044. Says disconnected.

I did dial 309 263-4044.

That is what is in my phone as dialed and didn't work.

I typed it here wrong but dialed it correctly.

Yup I dialed 309 263 4044. Says disconnected.

I just called the office from Ohio and got through just fine. Maybe something is just getting crossed in the lines from your location.

Thanks. Yeah it's something weird!
default_wacko.png

I'll keep trying!

Jenny I so agree with what you posted.

I do not like the flat black font on the cover (that says the journal) Just doesnt look professional. Not a fan of the new font for titles.

The articles are generic articles mostly pulled off the internet. With so many knowledgeable and talented members I would rather read their articles.

I do not think that the ad/article ratio could have been met which means mailing will cost ASPC/AMHR much more.

Not a fan of the article pictures that were used either. Again we have so many members that I am sure would furnish pictures for articles
default_smile.png

Why is the presidents corner gone? I was looking forward to hearing from our new president.
Good idea. Let's get those writers out there to start sending in their articles. Where have they been hiding? Why didn't they send them in for Amy? It would be nice if people would actually write a well researched article or at least send in their news to their area editor. Every issue I see the editors begging for information. Let's all help get the ball rolling. Send some news or an article in and keep the magazine interesting.

Good idea. Let's get those writers out there to start sending in their articles. Where have they been hiding? Why didn't they send them in for Amy? It would be nice if people would actually write a well researched article or at least send in their news to their area editor. Every issue I see the editors begging for information. Let's all help get the ball rolling. Send some news or an article in and keep the magazine interesting.
I believe Amy’s final issue of The Journal and Betty’s first issue both were exceptional in their own way. I also believe it is unfair to compare their work. They are different people working under different parameters.

As for the comment about writers hiding …

Good content is vital to every publication. You can get content for every publication, but good content, like good editing, is easier to get when you offer something for it.

Betty, and Amy before her, didn’t volunteer to edit The Journal for free. Unless the salary has changed, the Editor of The Journal receives about $7,500 per issue.

And unless things have changed, the writers receive … nothing.

Nobody should begrudge the Editor for receiving $7,500 per issue. The Editor should be paid. But there’s an inequity here and a lack of incentive for “those writers out there to start sending in their articles.”

Writers, like the Editor, also should receive some form of compensation. It doesn’t have to be money. It can be a credit for a free ad in The Journal.

Perhaps folks will keep this inequity in mind before they chide others for not offering stories and articles to The Journal.

Or, perhaps the folks doing the chiding will start submitting some stories and articles.

Writers, like the Editor, also should receive some form of compensation. It doesn’t have to be money. It can be a credit for a free ad in The Journal.

Oh I LIKE that!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Credit towards an ad! That would get the articles rolling!
default_yes.gif

I totally agree and have brought this up to the Journal Committee. I write online articles for a living so its isnt something I give away for free. But I am sure many would contribute in exchange for their website being listed etc.

I do have an open mind and I do think the Journal will get better as it goes. And just like I dont think an new employee should be berated, I dont think a ex employee should be either, but for some reason its okay to slam Amy on here?. I hope Betty does not take my post as "berating" These are just my opinions and what I see. If no one speaks up then how can the Journal improve? For sure my bad on the Presidents page. Its really hard for me to use the online version as I have trouble reading it. I have not received my print one yet.

I do question what the cost will be because I am familiar with the ad to article ratio that is supposed to be adhered to. That is why there previously was not a lot of content as their are guidelines in place to keep the cost down. I feel sure if Amy had been told to do away with the ratio's she also would have put more articles in.

Maybe you all can tell me if I am just missing the Youth pages? I see them listed in committees in action but not the normal youth pages?

While I feel sure some on this thread will loudly disagree, I am not a close friend of Amy's so that has nothing to do with my post. I have worked with her on my ads for several years and met her a couple times, but I dont think that qualifies as a personal friend
default_smile.png
. I do have a huge amount of respect for Amy and her family and all they have done throughout the years for ASPC/AMHR. Her knowledge on the history of the association is almost mind boggling. Did I disagree with how her situation was handled? YES. But it wouldnt have mattered who it was, I would have still disagreed. Wrong is wrong no matter who it is done to.

I phoned for my copy yesterday, so hopefully will have it in not much over a week now! Until then I cannot comment on content or quality because here at home I cannot view the online magazine (takes forever to load each page) and certainly I can't spend the time at work reading it.
default_sad.png

I do hope the articles are more substantial, and not just 'fluff' like in the AMHA World--good topics in that magazine, but then there's just nothing to them--they tell you virtually nothing--if that's all that an article amounts to then I'm just as happy if it's not there in the first place. I like articles such as the ones we used to get in Equus or Practical Horseman....articles that actually tell you stuff you don't know and cover things you've maybe never heard of (new illnesses, new treatments, things like that)

I don't have my Dec/Jan issue yet and likely won't for a few more weeks--I expect the Feb/Mar issue they're mailing from the office will get to me much sooner than the previous issue which will come via the regular bulk mailing.

default_aktion033.gif
Actually I'm trying to delete this post and can't seem to find a way to do it!! Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, perhaps the folks doing the chiding will start submitting some stories and articles.
I have written articles for the Journal and have contributed for the Area news. Some were accepted and some were not. The editor is justified in accepting what they want. Perhaps there should be an article in the Journal on the format in which they want they stories submitted. For example, do they want researched articles or just personal stories. I know in this issue there was a short article asking for personal stories. I have written and sent this type of story in. Just because the editor didn't always publish them doesn't mean I didn't try. How many others have even tried?

I know in this issue there was a short article asking for personal stories. I have written and sent this type of story in. Just because the editor didn't always publish them doesn't mean I didn't try. How many others have even tried?
The thing is, nobody should feel they have to try. If they want to write for The Journal, great. Have at it.

If they don't, there should be no guilt or judgment attached to it.

Besides, give our new editor a chance to get settled in. Presumably, she will be writing columns and features for The Journal. Most publications the size of The Journal have a do-everything editor and that includes editing and writing.

Kay wrote:

While I feel sure some on this thread will loudly disagree, I am not a close friend of Amy's so that has nothing to do with my post. I have worked with her on my ads for several years and met her a couple times, but I dont think that qualifies as a personal friend . I do have a huge amount of respect for Amy and her family and all they have done throughout the years for ASPC/AMHR. Her knowledge on the history of the association is almost mind boggling. Did I disagree with how her situation was handled? YES. But it wouldnt have mattered who it was, I would have still disagreed. Wrong is wrong no matter who it is done to.
I agree 100%

Jenny

I have my Dec but not the Feb Journal. But geez guys, cut the poor new editor some slack! Many of you won't remember that the whole Journal used to be half page, and at one point it was decided that ALL photos - the whole magazine - would be black and white only. So IMO it's much better than it was years ago.

I think that there are probably lots of folks out there who would like to advertise, but with the past problems/issues, hesitated to put anything in.

Let's thank Amy for her time and effort, and Welcome Betty without chiding, slamming, basically until there's some experience QUITYERBITCHIN!!!
default_biggrin.png

Just looking at the online version I think the new Journal looks great. And the fact that its on time is wonderful. I think we will see more advertisers, more great articles, and hopefully fill up that empty breeders directory.

For her first issue it looks like she did a great job, and the ads were awesome too. Looks more like a breed magazine then just a newsletter.

Yes, I want to do some advertising in the Journal now! And good idea about the Breeders Directory, too.

I have submitted articles and none were used. It was explained to me about the advertising to printed word ratio, although I did the Area VI column the past few issues, the editor decided to go a different way with the Area News.

I would like to see historical articles, pertinent researched articles, up and coming articles, breed interest articles, etc. But don't know, it has been suggested the price of advertising will go up to keep up with the demands of the printer prices or editor salary, or a combination, etc. But I think there will be a drop in advertising by the smaller farms (yes I am a small farm and my advertising budget didn't get the boost I thought it would get as a matter of fact, its downsized), so I hope the new editor, the BOD and the Journal Committee work together to come up with something that will work for everyone.

For her first issue it looks like she did a great job, and the ads were awesome too. Looks more like a breed magazine then just a newsletter.
What, pray tell, makes it look like a breed magazine this time? Where are the breed specific articles? I had a chance this morning to take a quick look at it on line and didn't see anything too special. I don't know what others consider to be the difference between a magazine and a newsletter, but it didn't look all that different to me in the quick run through I gave it--I'd say it's just as much a newsletter as it ever has been (which matters not to me).

I've been told that the ads--all but a handful of them--are pick-ups from previous Journals. So, nothing remarkable there.

The articles appear to be re-cycled or taken from on-line sites, and reprints from Equine Disease Quarterly, Kentucky Equine Research and such are not breed specific....they do not make a breed magazine! Personally I would rather see one good article--an original article that has some real information in it--than multiple reprint and 'fluff' articles. If our advertising and membership dollars are going to pay for articles in the Journal then honestly--they should be GOOD articles. Like I said--give us one good article each issue, and never mind the others! ("Good article" to me means some real content, REAL information, not just something that skims the surface without telling anyone anything at all!)

Advertising--be prepared for some rate increases I think. On another board someone posted that she had talked with the new editor and had been told that advertising rates are going up, and going up a lot. Then a Director posted and said that so far there have been no increases, that any increase has to be decided on/approved by the BOD, and while an increase is likely, it cannot be a huge increase....I would question why the editor would even mention the amount of an increase when that is something that the BOD & not the editor has to decide on. I do hope that the Journal has a specific budget and that the editor will have to keep within that budget. If you're wanting to advertise and if you don't have deep pockets to pay whatever amount for that advertising I would suggest that you talk to your BOD members and make sure they are aware of your feelings on advertising rate increases.

Someone mentioned this new Journal is printed on heavier paper....remember that heavier paper (and more 'filler content') means a heavier publication which in turn means higher mailing costs. I for one don't wan't to see my membership fee increase because of increased mailing costs--especially if those increased mailing costs are due to heavier paper and a bunch of pointless filler articles.

Area news now is not not supposed to mention individual farms or specific horses, nor is it supposed to mention any shows that are already listed in the events section--so I guess that should mean no more show reports or info, no farm news, congratulations on new arrivals or new acquisitions...no welcome to new owners....all the stuff that Area News has always covered is now a no-no. I'd rather read all that stuff than a bunch of articles I can read elsewhere on line!

If it comes down to an increase in membership fees to cover higher mailing costs, I will support the suggestion that the magazine should be separate from the membership. I would happily pay a smaller fee for my membership & never mind getting the Journal!

"Area news now is not not supposed to mention individual farms or specific horses, nor is it supposed to mention any shows that are already listed in the events section--so I guess that should mean no more show reports or info, no farm news, congratulations on new arrivals or new acquisitions...no welcome to new owners....all the stuff that Area News has always covered is now a no-no. I'd rather read all that stuff than a bunch of articles I can read elsewhere on line!"

Huh then there are a lot of no no's printed in the Feb/Mar issue. If we aren't allowed to talk about our Area news - then what is the point -but then there has been a lot of discussion the past couple of years to do away with the Area news columns.

Hopefully this will get fettered out - but I suggest you contact your BOD members and let them know the direction YOU want the Journal to go, don't give this opportunity to express your opinions slip because then the BOD members will not have the chance to make educated decisions on what the membership desires -- and not just take it from a few member conversations.

Trace, the new Area news guidelines were sent out just last week; they apply to the April/May issue--those same guidelines were not in place for the Feb/Mar issue. So yes, the Feb/Mar issue was still being done the "old way".

I am interested in seeing the Apr/May issue, to see what people do write--or what gets printed--for the area news under these new rules. For sure it makes it harder to write a column!

Latest posts

Back