New Job / Taking Clients?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
I am a professional dog groomer that has had the same place of employment for seven years. Obviously, over the years I have developed a relationship with my customers, their pets and have a large list of clientele that only wants me to groom their companion. April 7th is my last day at my current place of employment, however I will be starting a new grooming job. What's the proper or legal way to notify my customers of this change?

Michelle, I'm not sure how you should or can let current clients know but wanted to say you should review your employment contract to see if there are any guidelines or restrictions. I wish you much success! Ii know how, such you love animals and bet your four legged clients are lucky to be groomed by you!

I'm a retired pet groomer, I must advise you that the client list belongs to the salon owner. I understand your situation, but the client list is money for the owner, and all you can do is basically nothing. To tell the clients of your move and to advise them of your new location is in fact like stealing. Use extreme caution, I had one of my groomers go down this road and she ended up in big trouble.

Good luck in the new job.I am a firm believer that word of mouth is the best advertising.I'm sure 1 of your existing clients will find you and tell others so you won't be long in having many of them find you.I know hairdressers who move often have the new place of employment place an ad welcoming them to the salon.Is this legal for dog groomers?

As a hairstylist I know where you are coming from.

I know girls that have moved on to other salons and they go about it by posting an ad in the local paper. Just don't name where you worked originally in the ad. Also Facebook is huge for advertising. If you have it make a page for your new company, also a great way to let clients know promos, your vacation days and to spread the word of your business. you would be surprise how many clients who don't have Facebook get their kids to look up a hairstylist who has left.

Also you can call your clients if you know there first and last name. You just can't take numbers from computer or record keeping of your old business. If you know their last name you can try Internet and phonebook.

Also place some ads in any local online classified with your full name. Most are free to place an ad and if a client googles your name it will show in the search results.

If you know kennels where your clients board their dogs ask if you can put a poster up there.

Hope this helps and good luck in the new place!
default_smile.png

Read your employment contract to see how "poaching" of clients is discussed.

Back