New Jenny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
My best friend just got a new 26 month old Jenny - who was exposed (previous owner thinks- she was out with 2 other jennies and a spotted Jack) . Is there a way other than U/S to find if she is in foal? She would prefer her not be just yet but ya know things happen...

Are there problems with being bred this young? I think we need to purchase that donkey breeding book.

She is- per our measurement - about 36". Is that still a mini donk? I will get some pictures of her and post them for you - she is quite the beauty. K is sticking to our theme

Elvis - Jack

Priscilla - My yearling Jenny

and the new girl is

Ann Margaret
rolleyes.gif

Also...she is firm on her neck crest and we surely don't want it to get to big to sag what can be done about that (I thought someone mentioned suppliment or BOSS for that?? )

Darn I want another Jenny - BAD they are such great little animals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

ADMS has a cut off point at 36" for miniature donkeys. If over that they are considered small standard. Your friend might want to have a blood test done to check for pregnancy. I my self, have never bred a jennet that was two years old. But, I know plenty of breeders that do it. I think you just have to look at the jennet's size, like your friend's jennet being 36" tall. I don't think she would have a problem delivering. I bought a yearling jennet from an established breeder and she turned out to be bred. She was bred as a yearling and had her first foal at two years old. She didn't have any trouble, but boy was I worried!!! The fat on the crest of her neck will remain there for life, there is NO way to get that off. All your friend can do is keep her neck from getting fatter, by not over feeding. I hope I have helped some...lol I have been raising donkeys for about 7 years and still learning my self.
wink.gif

I have had donkeys since 1998, and I dont think a person EVER quits learning about these little charmers! It seems like everytime I get something mastered with one, along comes another who will have a completely different type of personality, and will teach me that my "working ways" with the last one, will NOT be the same with this one..gotta love these little ones!!! Iownadonkeyfarm is right in what she said about the crest, once there its there for the life of the donkey, the only thing you can do is really watch the grain intake, so you dont end up with a broken crest. I would never breed a 2yr. old jenny either, but if she is bred you cant undo it so, I would say with her size she should be Ok, with foaling, but if she is bred definitely watch her close when it comes time for foaling. I had one 4 yr. old, her first foal, and when she went into labor...she gave 1 push, and decided to call it quits...I had to completely deliver that foal on my own, with the help of my son, who held. My vet was about 2 hours away, and was on the phone with me, talk about a fast learning experience!! She was fine with foaling after her first, so you just never know. I would have her blood tested to see if she is definitely bred. Cant wait to see picture of her. Corinne

Latest posts

Back