new(ish)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRUE PICK

Reaction score
HELLO ALL. I AM BRENDA FROM SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO AND HAVE BEEN READING THIS FORUM FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH USEFUL INFORMATION SO I WANT TO START BY THANKING YOU ALL FOR ALL THE ADVISE AND KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU TAKE THE TIME TO SHARE ON HERE. MY HUSBAND HAS OWNED HORSES SINCE BEFORE I CAME INTO THE PICTURE, AND I HAVE OWNED A FEW RIDING HORSES THAT BASICALLY HE CARED FOR. ALL 3 OF MY CHILDREN SHOWED HORSES GROWING UP, AND NOW MY GRANDCHILDREN ARE LEARNING AND SHOWING AS WELL. I AM SOMEWHAT FEARFUL OF THE LARGER HORSES, AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MORE OF A "HELPER" THAN A PARTICIPANT. BUT ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO, I STARTED INTO THIS "MINI" WORLD AND HAVE BEEN TOTALLY IN LOVE EVER SINCE. I STARTED W/ ONE, BUT HE NEEDED A FRIEND, AND WITHOUT TOO MUCH INFORMATION HERE, I NOW OWN 6 MINIS AND 2 MINI DONKEYS. I HAVE REALLY BEEN INTERESTED IN WATCHING AND READING THE FOALING THREADS, AND HAD A SURPRISE LITTLE GUY BORN IN JUNE. MY PROBLEM NOW IS, MY 10 YEAR OLD MARE, WHO FOALED IN LATE APRIL LAST YEAR, AND I HAD METICULOUSLY DOCUMENTED BREEDING DATED FOR 2011 IS WEARING ME OUT. SHE WAS BRED TO BE DUE 5/22/11. AND HERE I AM STILL WATCHING......... STILL WAITING. OBVIOUSLY SHE EITHER DIDNT TAKE OR LOST IT, SO WHEN SHE NEVER CAME BACK IN HEAT, SHE WAS TURNED OUT WITH THE OTHERS IN MID AUGUST. HERE IS THE KICKER, AFTER CYNDI FOALED IN JUNE, I CHECKED JOLENE AGAIN, AND SHE APPEARED TO BE STARTING TO BAG UP. SHE HAS HAD SOMEWHAT OF A BAG, AND MUCH EDEMA ON THE HOTTER DAYS, EVER SINCE!!!!!! EVERY DAY, CHECK THE BAG MORNING NOON NIGHT, SINCE JUNE!!!!!! I DONT KNOW HOW TO LOAD PICS, AND SHE IS QUITE SKITTISH ABOUT HER BACK-END, ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES LIFTING HER TAIL IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE SHE CAME TO ME, BUT I DO BELIEVE SOMETHING TRAUMATIC. SHE HAS NO MILK TO CHECK ALTHOUGH SHE SEEMS TO BE FILLING. BAG GOES UP/ DOWN, UP IN AM, DOWN AFTER EXERCISE IN PM. I KNOW MOSTLY NORMAL, BUT FOR THIS LENGTH OF TIME????? I KNOW THERE ISNT MUCH TO DO BESIDES WAAAAIIIT, BUT SOMEWHERE IN THE BACK OF MY MIND I HOPED THAT IF I PUT ALL THIS IN PRINT SHE WOULD GET MOVING!!!! HAHA. SO THERE YOU GO, I AM THE TRUE PICK THAT STALKS THE THREAD AND BARELY COMMENTS. NICE TO MEET YOU!!!!

Hi nd welcome from Wales UK
default_saludando.gif
..not sure if its much help but my mare bagged up but went up and down 3 months before delivery..I was convinced she was going to foal early May she foaled early August
default_smile.png
a great and typical story of how addictive they are..I copy and paste my pictures rather than attaching them as files just quicker and more simple..would love to see some pictures
default_smile.png

Hi and nice to meet you Brenda. You are in quite a quandry with this mare, aren't you? And there can be a number of different scenarios.

So your mare had no access to ANY intact male horse (even 5 months old or so) after the breeding dates you documented? If that is the case I would guess her to be open. My open mares very often keep quite a bit of bag all year round. If she were approaching foaling she would have increasing udder development and that usually doesn't go on longer than 30 or so days.

Maybe others can offer their opinions....give you more to think about.

Just a suggestion....any horse you plan to handle/foal out, spend the time necessary to train them to accept any and all handling in a quiet manner. Makes life easier for you and may actually be life saving in some instances.

I'm glad you have decided to post here! Welcome!

Charlotte

OH SORRY, YES SHE ABSOLUTELY WAS WITH MY STALLION. I WAS ALREADY CONVINCED SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT 3 MONTHS ALONG WHEN SHE WAS TURNED BACK OUT WITH THE REST OF THEM. ONLY ONE STALLION, BUT ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT HE GOT THE JOB DONE DURING THE 2ND GO ROUND THAT TOTALLY SLIPPED BY ME. WE DONT DO USE A VET FOR MANY THINGS, I JUST TRY TO KEEP TABS AND WRITE DOWN ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I NOTICE. NONE OF THE VETS CLOSEST TO ME WILL EXAMINE MY MINIS, SO WE COULD HAUL TO OSU, BUT THAT EXPENSE ISNT REALLY IN THE BUDGET RIGHT NOW, ESPECIALLY SINCE ITS NOT AN EMERGENCY. SHE IS HAPPY, HEALTHY FAT AND TIMID. I CAN WORK ALL OVER HER HEAD LEGS, UNDER BELLY, BUT NOT REAR. GRRRRR. COULD FORCE HER BUT I DONT LIKE TO STRESS HER. NOT HER FAULT. BUT YES, WE ALL AGREE THAT SHE IS INFACT PREGGO, AND WE ALL ARE WAITING. LUCKILY I HAVE A CAMERA ON HER AND A MONITER IN THE HOUSE. BUT SHE ISNT REALLY SHOWING ME THE DEFINITE SIGNS OF BEING SUPER CLOSE YET. TAIL HEAD MAY BE SOFTENING A LITTLE, NOTHING ELSE BUT THE DAILY CHANGING BAG. I AM GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOU, LINDI-LOO HAD ONE GO THAT LONG. FIRST I HAVE READ OF ANYONE MENTIONING THAT LONG. LAST YEAR WAS 20 DAYS FROM NOTICIBLE BAG TO BABY! MAYBE THE EARLIER DUE DATE WITH COOLER TEMPS COMPARED TO THIS YEARS LATE TERM HOT SUMMER DAYS ARE THE DIFFERENCE THERE. GOT NO CHOICE BUT TO KEEP WATCHING!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry all caps hurts my eyes so I can't read all of that.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

I'm glad you joined us!
default_yes.gif

Welcome!
default_saludando.gif
I too am from Southern Central Ohio, and I have been watching my mare, she is 347 days today, and still no baby. She is on MareStare, and if you already have the camera and the monitor that is a great website, and helps a ton!

ok sorry, no more caps and no more novels. yes i love mare stare, and I watch all your mares, but i keep hoping we are so close that it wouldnt be needed for long, and our computer system is not very dependable. its down alot. the company tells us we are at the "end of the line" and not sure why we cant be updated, but we just deal with it. I used to loose sleep, as i know most of you have, watching marestare. its awesome how we can be "right there" for a delivery that is a thousand miles away. I think this will prob. be the end of my foaling career, so i want to make the best of it. Mine are just pets, not for show, and I have all I need for me and the Grandbabies to enjoy. my husband and I both work full time so the camera is basically for late nights and early mornings. but since we've had it we havent missed a foaling of his bigs or my minis! well worth it! oooops, another novel. sorry

I hope you keep writing novels!
default_aktion033.gif

I enjoy reading what you have to say now that my ol eyes can see it!
default_yes.gif

If you'd like help posting pics, just holler!

morning all, thanks for the offers to post pics for me. should really get up to speed with technology and figure it out. but new problem at hand. I think my donkey "Francis" has choke. gotta call the vet at 8am sharp so hopefully wont be on here cause I will be "assisting" him with my donkey boy friend. worried to no end. its always something isnt it? Described it to hubby and he's never had one to do it. Francis has been in stall most of the past few days due to a hoof injury, so maybe the unfamiliar surroundings have him worked up. Bonnie, his gf is not in there with him. But he can see and smell her! idk. more later. ps, no am change w/ fatty fat jolene

Welcome to the forum!

I hope your donkey is okay! Chocke is scarey but usually easily resolved once the yet pushes the obstruction through.

Kay

thanks. I had to come to work. my son is keeping watch. Vet says remove everything from stall, water hay straw, see what status is at lunch, if no distress, take outside and try a little grass or water, if ok, good to go, if not he will come. he has a few procedures scheduled for this morning, then can come if needed. ugh! such a worry. He says 50-50 chance of it resolving on its own. donkeys are such sweet creatures, its heartbreaking to see them suffer.

Welcome from another central Ohioan, I live in the actual center of the state and have had minis for over 20 years.

Just getting caught up on LB after vacation and saw your posts.

How is the donkey?

Hi Brenda,

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful mountains of East Tennessee!
default_saludando.gif

Bill

Thanks for asking, sweet donkey Francis is great. recovered from the choke and sore hoof (absess) and all is well. When vet came for him, he visually checked Jolene, and could not determine that she is in foal. He said he guesses that she is, but couldn't be sure. And that she may be somewhat overweight. SSSSOOOOOO, I took his advise and cut back on her feed. I am still checking her 2x every day, and her bag still seems to be doing the inflated in am, not deflated, but smaller and looser in pm after turn out. I could swear I felt a kick last week while brushing her, but at this point, I will just keep an eye on her and watch for more definite changes.

Welcome from another central Ohioan, I live in the actual center of the state and have had minis for over 20 years.

Just getting caught up on LB after vacation and saw your posts.

How is the donkey?

Back