New horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marion

Reaction score
We had four horses delivered yesterday. One mare with her baby. Another mare that her baby was weaned yesterday and a new stud colt that was weaned yesterday.

This morning when I checked on them the new stud colt was nursing the mother that they had just weaned.

Has anyone had this happen before?

It has made both of them settle down really well. The little stud has quite hollaring for his mother and she has quite hollering for her baby.

New mare that has taken the stud colt

Spook2wb.jpg

The other mare that has her colt with her

RVM-Lion-King-Sass-Dandelio.jpg

Sorry about the large pictures some reason they are not reducing down from my website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty horses!
wub.gif

Just info
smile.gif
The time to wean by the Almanac is the 14-21. I'm going to wean 3 of ours on the 15th. I don't know if you want to wean the colt from the mare that's not his mom or not.

But I think she's nice to let him nurse. She might be a good nurse mare if you need one someday, and those are rare.

Congrats on your new additions!

I think the adoptive mama is worth her weight in gold for taking on the sad lil fella. I'd let it go for a while and let them settle then wean next month. Both very nice ladies. I hate that cold turkey weaning thing, JMHO.

There very nice congrats. We're nasty here and wean all in a batch cold turkey. Can't stand to drag the dreaded deed out we just do it and try not to listen for the first 3 days and spend a lot of time with them grooming and talking after a week they are pretty much settled into a routine along with the old weaner sitters who are real good at schmoosing up to them and giving some comfort and warmth.

Back