New here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from sunny Arizona!

Minis are so much fun. Sounds like if he got a tummy ache after worming him, he may have some worm problems. Did you check any piles of poop 24 to 36 hours after to see if he was passing any? If he was, he has a heavy load and you might want to talk to your vet about a program to get him squared away and wormless, lol The vet can also check his teeth to make sure nothing needs floated and there are no spikes back that that need filed off.

Be very careful about tethering. BAD rope burns can occur from that- and I know of someone who had a horse that broke his neck while tethered (and they had camped out a lot over the years so the horse had been tethered before).

Sounds like you are already in love, lol and I must agree that one Mini seems to lead to another. I got my first one as a 'pet' too! Welcome- there are many wonderful folks here with tons of knowledge!!

HI and Welcome. A large stall in the barn sounds great to shelter him from bad elements. The bigger the better but be sure you make the stall door and walls low enough so he can easily see out without struggling. I wouldn't lock him up though in there unless he has a stable buddy to keep him company and hay to keep him comfortable.

Welcome to LB, from Maine!

You're little "Frosty" looks like a sweetheart.

Wow thanks again for all the info and welcomes - Well yesterday was a tough day - we woke up to Frosty being GONE - he had pulled the earch anchor out of the ground (sometimes we have been moving him between trees, posts and other times have put in the earth anchor if there was nothing else to link to. So far he had done fine but I am thinking he got spooked and took off. We searched for him all day and finally at about 6pm with the entire neighborhood searching for him he showed up on the road about a mile from our house unharmed. THANK GOD!!!

Needless to say our project for today was to get the stuff for our fencing and get started with that - was sick all day thinking of all the things that "could have" happened to him. My DH is also working on a stall in the barn and we are just putting up some 2x8 boards in there - wondering how far apart they should be so he doesn't get in trouble between or under them??? I think we are just going with the standard wire electric fencing - 2 strands.

Someone mentioned the worming - that could have been his tummy - we will mention it to the vet when he comes and will see what he recommends.

Thanks again!!

KW

Welcome to Lil Beginnings and the forum. You will find all the info. you need here. I'm glad you found your Frosty! I hope you got your project finished so he does not need to be tethered and to answer your question about how far apart....with horses you either have to make spaces within fence either small enough that they cannot get a foot through at all or big enough that they can, the object is for them to easily get it back out. Also pay close attention to gates so that they cannot get their hooves caught in the rounded corners. You can do a search here for just about anything you'll need.

WELCOME TO THE NEIGH-borhood!!!!
default_xreiter.gif

I wouldn't leave much room at all between or under the wall boards, but I would keep the walls and/or door at 36" so he can see out. The more places he can see out the better! We just finished our 2 stall barn and they love being able to see out! : )

I wouldn't leave much room at all between or under the wall boards, but I would keep the walls and/or door at 36" so he can see out. The more places he can see out the better! We just finished our 2 stall barn and they love being able to see out! : )
Als0, we built a 30' x 40' fenced area off there stalls so they can come out and in as they please. You can see it in my picture. We just finished another fenced area that is 90' x 90' so they can run around and have some grass. They ate the grass in the small area next to the barn in 2 days! LOL

Latest posts

Back