New here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsirk

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It looks like there is a TON of information on here about Mini's - we are new to horses and got our first mini last Friday. He is a 3year old gelding and a very sweet horse!!!

He isn't papered or anything - we got him as a family pet. I was directed to your site by a friend who had mini's and she said there is a lot of informaiton on here and we have lots of questions so here I am!

I am not sure how to post a picture of "Frosty" but I did get one on my profile so you can see a bit of him(OK I think I figured it out!). He is slightly overweight and right now we are just teathering him different places around the yard every day and letting him graze on that grass. The kids give him a couple apples a day...not sure if that will be bad or not.

He came from an amish family that raises Mini's and he really seems to have a good temperment with all of us which is good since we have a lot to learn!!!! He has had no shots so we are scheduling a vet visit and just dewormed him and the first few days he seemed to have some tummy issues but now is doing MUCH better with everything.

We are working on getting an area behind our barn fenced in and a stall built for him before the end of summer so he's got a place of his own;) Is it better to get a stall or just have an enclosure outside so he can get out of the weather?

Thanks for your patience and sharing your experience with us - really wanting to find some good info so we can best take care of this little guy!

KW

DSC07016.JPG

DSC07014.JPG

Welcome to LB! Frosty looks like a good, and much loved, guy
default_yes.gif

Welcome to the best forum for miniature horse lovers. Bet Frosty has a friend pretty soon........hard to have just one mini it seems
default_yes.gif

Genie - funny that you say that - My husband and I were just having that conversation;) He would like to get a full size horse someday but I am really liking this size here - he is so much fun yet not quite as intimidating:)

Welcome from Kentucky! Looks like you have a sweet little guy there!

As far as the stall/enclosure question: You didn't say where you are located, but most do fine with a simple run-in shed, opening facing away from the general wind direction. If you have predators or mean dogs around then you might want to lock him up at nite. I have a stall + run-in combo that works well for my girls. 8 X 8 each side. They have free access all the time, but I can lock one down if needed.

What ever you do, make it big enough for 2 or 3! Minis are addicting and as everyone will tell you, you can't have just one! Good Luck!

Your new guy looks very sweet! We just got our first 2 mini's this spring and this forum has been a wealth of information! I've had large horses most of my life, but don't think I will ever go back! One thing that you will hear often is that horses (large or small) are herd animals and are much happier sharing there life with another one : )

Welcome from michigan! Cute boy and looks like a blue roan or blue appy in color! Heads up, ya cant stop at one! I only wanted 4, then 6, now currently at 9! lol!

Welcome to the forum and the mini world from Maine!!! Frosty looks like the perfect family pet!!

Have fun with him! You will find minis are awesome!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Hello, and Welcome from Southern Maryland, USA! Looks like your guy is already a member of the family and much loved, but the others are right, you can't have just one! A run in shed is just fine unless of course you live in Alaska! HAHA! It would help if you could edit your profile and tell us where you are located for future questions, such as hay suppliers, feed, vets, etc. I'm looking forward to get to know you, Terry

Welcome from Ohio! This is the best site for info on minis. They are such awesome animals, it's really hard to have just one. We have stalls for our, but usually leave a couple open all day for run-ins. Unless we are using for birthing, injury, or separation for what ever reason.

Hey welcome from Australia! I have only had mini's since April and joined LB a bit after that but have learn't so much. I love picking other peoples brains lol.

Frosty looks so cute, have fun!!

Thank you so much for your responses! I will try and update our profile - we are located in Southern Minnesota so it does get cold (but not as cold as Alaska!!!)

I think we are going to build a stall in the barn since we already have it there and might as well use it and we will need some info on fencing as we have a little area that we want to fence in for him (them???)

Gave him his first ever bath yesterday - he didn't think too much of it but it went better than I anticipated;) Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and I am sure I'll be asking TONS more questions!!!!

KW

Welcome from Eastern Iowa! Congrats on your first mini, he is a cutie and already looks like he is getting a lot of love! I agree with everyone else that you should plan on having 2...or 3....they are very addicting LOL! As for stalling or run ins. I have both, part of my horses are stalled with turnouts and another group is in pasture with run in sheds. Both get along fine, but I have brought my whole herd into our big barn in the past when the temps would drop below zero.

Congrats and welcome. Minis are really GREAT little horses. Still every bit horse but in a much easier sized package. Frosty is a cutie pie. Enjoy!

Welcome from Maryland! We to started our mini journey with no real prior knowledge. I've learned much of what I now know (three years later) from the fabulous folks on this board.

Latest posts

Back