New here! New to showing mini's..help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shasta

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Shasta and I am new to owning a mini halter horse. Located in Kennewick WA. Been showing the big halter horses for years and after my mother bought a few just a few months back I really had to join in. Have owned a few pet mini's in the past. I'm fitting my new Tobiano yearling mini who is 26.5 inches. Has a terrible pot belly. Current on worming. What advise would you give on feeding and excerise? I'm currently feeding her just a hand full of grass hay 2x a day, hand ful of 16% protein grain, handful of beet pulp 2x a day. Free longing her for 10-15 minutes once a day. Because I have big horses I wondered about pony her? Anyone else do this? I would love to have a 4-wheeler but only have big horses and a Go Cart! lol

See my horses at www.washingtonstatepainthorses.com

Thanks in advance! Look forward to meeting a whole new bunch of horse lovers!
aktion033.gif

a handful of grain and a couple handfuls of hay are not nearly enough for a yearling mini!! there is a huge misconception that they dont require much feed. When i was showing my 27" yearling here is what she ate every day

1 full flake of alfalfa/grass mix hay am and pm

5 cups equine jr 2x per day

as you can see that is ALOT more feed then what your girl is getting

this is why she has a pot belly as her nutritional needs are not being met

Hi Shasta,

Welcome to the LB Forum! Congratulations on your new filly! My guess is that your filly isn't getting the right diet which is making her have a big belly. I have found here that a protein/vitamin/mineral supplement (Progressive Nutritions Diet Balancer Alfalfa Formula) has worked extremely well for me. My show horses are on that plus alfalfa cubes plus beet pulp. No bellies here and no grain!

I also want to add that I weigh my hay and beet pulp so I know exactly what each horse is getting and know whether to adjust it up or down as to their body condition.

I agree with kaykay, it doesn't sound like your filly is getting nearly enough to eat!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Im from the grain your babies camp! We dont have good hay here so this is what I was told and it has worked. Yearlings with bellies you have to push more food into and you will see their chests adn butt catch up to their bellies and they will smooth out. My yearlings are taller than yours but even my little guys get 4-6 cups of 10% protein 10% fat grain and 1 cup dry beet pulp and hay cubes or forrage twice a day. It is really a misconception that minis need less. Your baby is undernourished and over worked. I dont lounge anyone under 2.[/SIZE]

Welcome to the forum from the most outspoken member here
saludando.gif

BTW The solid bay filly and the bay and white pinto filly in my avitar are my two yearlings.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, almost the same feed as my big horses!

I will start increasing her feed but not so sure I'm for the no excerise until they are 2. I could see more food = more exerise but less food = less exersise..Still learning so I do thank you for all the wonderful advise..Please keep it coming! For now, I will start giving her some alfalfa and a bit more beet pulp with her grain. Becky, how much excerise do you give your mini's? Your horses look wonderful!

aktion033.gif
Your site is wonderful! What a nice thing for you to offer. Many big halter people wouldn't do such a thing..trust me..I've looked..

You look so young but must be super smart gal. I'm very impressed.

Thanks again!

Shasta

Feather1414 said:
You can check out the training tips of my website for information about classes and such.
458881[/snapback]

Shasta,

My show horses are worked according to their age and condition. Yearlings and older are started slowly, using a round pen and horse walker. I work them up to where they are galloping approx 1 1/2 miles several days per week. Again this depends on the horse and takes time to get them to that point. On other days they are worked at a trot, ususally on the walker for 30 - 40 minutes. Both require a cool down at a walk on the walker for approx another 30 minutes. I also use my treadmill occasionally, but it's not the staple form of exercise here.

Again, a horse needs to be started slowly and then brought along to get to optimum condition.

Becky,

Thank you for the wonderful information. You know when I can buy another mini you will be the 1st one I go too. (o;

I am working my lil mini 15 minutes a day right now. As of yesterday I started asking her to keep the lope for a circle around. She seems so eager to do what I'm asking. No tread mill or hotwalker. Have big horses though. Anyone ever use the big horses to pony or worry about the chance of the mini getting hurt? I have a huge pasture that I thought about using to pony my mini around for 15-20 minutes. Also have a Go Cart! HeeHee..
new_shocked.gif

My mother heard that you are supposed to do it 2x a day (15 minutes each time). Being that I have a full time job its a bit hard to do. Dark in the mornings now!

Becky said:
Shasta,
My show horses are worked according to their age and condition.  Yearlings and older are started slowly, using a round pen and horse walker.  I work them up to where they are galloping approx 1 1/2 miles several days per week.  Again this depends on the horse and takes time to get them to that point.  On other days they are worked at a trot, ususally on the walker for 30 - 40 minutes.  Both require a cool down at a walk on the walker for approx another 30 minutes.  I also use my treadmill occasionally, but it's not the staple form of exercise here. 

Again, a horse needs to be started slowly and then brought along to get to optimum condition.

459437[/snapback]

Yes I use Red Cell so do alot of others and then others dont, personal choice. I like it though. Welcome

I'm one who does not exercise her yearlings- they exercise themselves. I am a little concerned as to why you should deem it necessary at this time of year- my show horses are now turned away and grazing 24/7 as shows have finished here. Do you have a big show coming up?? If not, why the concern? Let her be a horse and start in the spring. Mine will now live out all winter, grow huge coats, get muddy and fat and will not come back up until March time, plenty of time to get fit before the Shows start (depending on where they start in your area of course!!)

I do not force exercise anything younger than two, three if I can manage it, and I do as little of it as is absolutely necessary. Make sure you keep sight of how young she is and make sure she ahs time to be a baby.

Yes, I do have a show coming up on the 17th of Sept. I know she won't be totally ready but I want it for the experience. Then another show in October in Monroe WA. Both are Pinto. Wish me luck!

rabbitsfizz said:
I'm one who does not exercise her yearlings- they exercise themselves.  I am a little concerned as to why you should deem it necessary at this time of year- my show horses are now turned away and grazing 24/7 as shows have finished here.  Do you have a big show coming up?? If not, why the concern?  Let her be a horse and start in the spring.  Mine will now live out all winter, grow huge coats, get muddy and fat and will not come back up until March time, plenty of time to get fit before the Shows start (depending on where they start in your area of course!!) I do not force exercise anything younger than two, three if I can manage it, and I do as little of it as is absolutely necessary.  Make sure you keep sight of how young she is and make sure she ahs time to be a baby.

462707[/snapback]

Shasta said:
Another question:Manes and tails..I remember most Mini's had a long mane and tail. Tails used to drag the ground but now I see them more at ground level. Manes seems to be thinned?

tips or tricks on what is best length, etc?

Hello all!

My name is Shasta and I am new to owning a mini halter horse. Located in Kennewick WA. Been showing the big halter horses for years and after my mother bought a few just a few months back I really had to join in. Have owned a few pet mini's in the past. I'm fitting my new Tobiano yearling mini who is 26.5 inches. Has a terrible pot belly. Current on worming. What advise would you give on feeding and excerise? I'm currently feeding her just a hand full of grass hay 2x a day, hand ful of 16% protein grain, handful of beet pulp 2x a day. Free longing her for 10-15 minutes once a day. Because I have big horses I wondered about pony her? Anyone else do this? I would love to have a 4-wheeler but only have big horses and a Go Cart! lol

See my horses at www.washingtonstatepainthorses.com

Thanks in advance! Look forward to meeting a whole new bunch of horse lovers!
aktion033.gif

458865[/snapback]

hi shasta!

I too remember when they used to show with tails dragging behind them
smile.gif
but that is no longer done and you could be faulted in the showring for having a tail dragging or so i am told. Most just keep the bottom of the tail trimmed

manes are more of a personal preference and going by what looks best on a particular horse. I undercut the mane to get it to lay flat and normally this is all the thinning that is needed

Good luck!

Kay

I about ready to order my first show halter. Seems the closed ring halter halter is the IN thing. Advise, comments? Still working my little gal trying to get her ready to show by next weekend at the Pinto show. Might be a bit tubby still in the belly but being my first time showing a mini I'm not sure I will be in top placings anyhow..Not sure how the Pinto show is compared to the actuall mini shows.

Latest posts

Back