New Here - Hello!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryl W

Reaction score
Just joined a few days ago and have been going through various threads searching out different info. Have learned a lot all ready!

We purchased a 4 y/o 34" filly in June who had a short but seemingly effective training in harness. So far, so good. She loves pulling the cart and seems very happy. Had a couple issues in the beginning but went back to ground work, manners, then ground driving.

This is our first mini. I had big horses back in the day, but like a lot of us "older" folk, riding seems too rough on our joints and back...plus the fear of falling. Driving has its own set of risks and dangers which do make me a bit anxious about the potential for injury.

We are in Maine and am now wondering how to keep this girl busy and exercised during the cold, snowy winter.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Hello fellow New Englander! I am from NH. I got my first minis for the same reason as you. I used to ride, but now my joints say no to that.
Once your mini is comfortable in harness, you can always teach her to pull a sled so you can have some winter fun. I also use my mini to pull the manure tubs to the manure pile in the winter when the snow is too deep for the wheelbarrow. I can try and post a picture of our sled later when I can access the pictures.

Yay! Happy to meet you Cayuse! I would love to see the sled you use. Am curious how to use one without it running up into her hind legs. Ezzie seems very comfortable in harness and actually transforms into this lovely driving pony. She seems so happy :)

My sled is an "otter sled" and has shafts attached. I promise I will post a picture tomorrow. The shafts keep the sled from running forward (along with the breeching). I did use a regular kids sled for awhile and just winged it, but it does get a little hairy sometimes with nothing to slow the momentum down. Plus this old body can't get up and down like it used to. With the "otter sled" I can put a half bale of hay in it and cover it over to make a pretty comfy seat.
I got the shafts from Patty's Pony Place.
Did you get your Ezzie locally? I am semi seriously hunting for a driving mini but they are scarce!
Have you checked out the Driving Forum here? Several members post quite often and everyone is very helpful, come join us on the "Driving me Buggy" thread.

Thank you! I checked out the Otter sled and now wondering what size you went with. Price jumps from the small one at around 50 and the next size is 130. Next, will check out the shafts. Thank you!

Yes, we got her locally. She is registered. The person we got her from has maybe 30? He drives and exhibits a fair amount around here. He trains to drive, also, if you like one he has that is not yet trained. Roundabout Farm in Buckfield. They have a website.

I'll pop over and check out the driving thread. Have a great day!!!

Here is a picture of Cappy with the sled and shafts. I think it is the next size up from the smallest sled size. I would be happy with a smaller sled, but wanted a little extra length to accommodate my manure tubs.

Welcome!! Nice to see our shaft set in use yet again! I commented on another thread - do check out my website and FB pages. TONS of fun on the pages, along with educational info. The winter fun set was developed by us back in 2014 - and they are built to knock down for easy mailing, and they are built with bracing, and have no parts "sticking up" above the base itself. Safety of design is inherent in all we do - proper information about harness can be found on my pages as well, along with a lot of FUN! Have a look around on my stuff, and get in touch any time!!

Latest posts

Back