New here: DixieBelle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieBelle

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the mini horse world, but do own an Arabian and a Welsh Cob x. I wanted to introduce myself and our new addition, but as a member of another horse forum, where I've already posted about her, I thought I'd copy/paste those posts over here. I hope that's ok!
default_smile.png
And I'd love for any advice or suggestions you may have. I love learning and expanding my own knowledge.

Background: Dixie Belle Lilo, aka Dixie, is an approx. 18-20-year-old mini (my 3 young boys are responsible for her name. lol). I obtained her from a friend, who was moving due to a bad time in her life. Dixie was on large acreage of tall pasture, and sharing round bales and All Stock feed with cattle. Her hooves are in dire need of trimming, and she's obese. To top it off, she has heaves.

I've had her now for a full 2 weeks. Despite some farrier woes, I made contact with a highly recommended farrier, who lives over an hour away, and he is coming out this week. I've already talked to him and sent him photos of her hooves.

Her diet currently consists of .25 lb of Nutrena Empower Balance. I have ordered a vitamin/mineral supplement from Horsetech, and she will be switched to that upon its arrival. I've also started her on SmartControl IR, SmartFlex Senior, and SmartBreathe (wasn't sure if it would truly help, but knew it wouldn't hurt). She also gets 1-2 lbs of soaked hay daily (usually on the lighter side). She is turned out with the other 2 in the 2.1 acre pasture, as she went ballistic when I tried stalling her or separating her. I have a grazing muzzle, but I'm having to slowly acclimate her to it. As of now, she stresses out, tries to rid herself of it, and in the processing starts heaving greatly. The weather here is already an issue (hot & muggy), so I don't feel comfortable with her further distressed breathing (neither does she, I presume).

Anyway, that's where we stand today health-wise. As for her overall, she's the sweetest thing ever. She allows grooming and hoof cleaning like a dream. In fact, my 5-yr-old is helping me with her, and he's loving learning about her hooves. My 3-yr-old was actually able to help me bathe her last week, and he loved it!

So without further ado, here is a before and a current picture of her.

BEFORE:

image.jpg

AFTER 2 weeks:

image.jpg

1376932013_zps58cdad93.jpg

My husband said he doesn't see a difference, but I swear that I do. I hope it's not just my desire and imagination.

And I'm loving her dapples! Seeing as how I'm not a color guru, I would like to ask what her color would be called.

I'm going to continue to update this thread, as I wholeheartedly appreciate all the advice and constructive criticism I receive from this forum. Thanks for the past 2 years of knowledge and help, and here's to many more!

Last edited by a moderator:
And today the saga continues...

When we got her, I immediately noticed something off about her face, specifically the left side. I made a mental note, but with school, my oldest having some issues, and just life taking care of everyone in general, it got pushed into the back of my mind. Until today.

Today, I noticed dried discharge at the site on the abnormal area of her face. This triggered the memory of me cleaning off the same when I was bathing her. Upon closer inspection, there is a small hole filled with more of this gunk. My brain immediately says "old fracture", but I took some pics and sent them to my vet, who also believes the same. She will be coming out for a further look and possibly x-rays to see what we're dealing with. In the meantime, I'm planning on just flushing it out and keeping the area clean.

i just wonder how this was missed...ugh. Poor old girl.

Pics:

image.jpg

th_1377107337_zps7a9285d7.jpg
[/url]

It's been 4 weeks now, and she's really starting to feel her "oats"...that she does not get. She greets me and the boys when we go back to the barn. She comes to the fence to see the boys. Judging by her daily poop piles I scoop up every day out the pasture, she's utilizing all of the 2.1 acres vs. just hanging out by the barn. The past few days, with the high temps and 95-100% humidity, has caused her to take a step back with the heaves, but I'm praying for some sort of miraculous cold front to come through. She had a day or two of soreness after having her hooves done last Friday, but she's obviously feeling much more comfortable on her feet these days.

Anyway, I snapped a few quick iPhone pics this evening after the minuscule rain event ended. She was feeling quite perky, and trotted her way to the trough! I thought I'd try to get some pics to show off her sloooow weight loss. It's noticeable, but it's definitely not drastic. But she no longer has a fat crease down her rump and spine, her rump and shoulders are a touch less jiggly, and even her cresty neck isn't as hard as it was.

Day 1:

image.jpg

4 weeks in:

image.jpg

Day 1:

image.jpg

4 weeks in:

image.jpg

I love how we're getting to see a bit more of her personality as the days go on and she gets to feeling better/more comfortable. And she's just so doggone cute.
default_smile.png

1378257721_zps156b96b1.jpg

Edited: I deleted this post, because I was able to correct the previous posts.

i can see a difference in the short time you've had her, nice job, shes fortunate to have you and your children to love her in her senior years.

welcome from Arizona... also hot, and unusually humid for this time of year.

Welcome! I did see your response in you message from the other forum. Nice to see you here as well!!

I too, can see a difference. You are doing great. I love her Dappling. Sounds like she has found the perfect home.

Welcome! I did see your response in you message from the other forum. Nice to see you here as well!!
Nice to "see" you again! :D
And thanks to both. We're working hard on getting her healthy and purdy, and my boys are enjoying her calm and sweet demeanor, as am I. I needed a break after my boys went to bed the other night, so I went and sat in her stall. She came to me, dropped her nose into my lap, and proceeded to fall asleep practically standing in my lap. Lol

I eventually want to go back to looking for the type we were originally in the market for, which is one to standard that my boys could show locally along with being healthy enough for driving, but I've never been good at passing up the needy ones.
default_smile.png

Welcome from Alaska .

You are doing a great job with her. I can see the difference in her.

Poor baby had a hard life before she found you and your boys.

Yes, definitely see the difference. I see some weight loss from day 1 to week 4 in your photos! She sure looks perky and happy too. You asked about her color; she would be a silver dapple chesnut, I believer (even with the brown tone-chesnut being the key word it). One of the bigger breeders will correct me if I am wrong. You may possibly see some change in shading or coloring from season to season.

She looks like a lovely sweet girl. Congrats to you and to her for finding someone to love her in her senior years.

Thanks.
default_smile.png

I'll be adding to this thread as to note the physical progress, if nothing more than to make sure I'm doing right by her.

She's quite cute. She's a silver black (or silver dapple if you like). Not sure on the spot on her face, but hopefully the vet and x-rays can help you figure that one out.

WELCOME!
default_smile.png

She's a lucky girl to have you. She's coming along nicely
default_yes.gif

She looks like she's coming along well, really cute, too. Kudos for you for taking on the "needy ones"...

What a pretty girl - I can certainly see improvement, well done you! She's a lucky lady to have found you.
default_yes.gif

She gallops! O_O LOL

I fed them late, around 8:00 pm, which is not their usual time. So they were all up at the front of the pasture. When I gave the "come eat" whistle, my Arab and my Welsh x got all frisky and started bucking and galloping their way to the back. Not to be outdone, Dixie put her head down, gave a snort, and took off right behind them. Considering she barely walked around much the first week I got her, I was shocked that she could move as fast as she did. Lol I can't believe her little cow-hocked, wonky front leg, heaving self could move like that! She was obviously feeling frisky, too, and she attempted a few mock bucks before continuing to prance around a bit before heading into her stall to eat. She was breathing a little harder than normal, but she was alert and spry versus being stressed and depleted.

I'm just so happy to know that she's feeling that much better.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back