New herd sire

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamindica

Reaction score
unsure.gif
We recently purchased a spotted mini as our herd sire because I want spotted grandbabies! Anyway, I have a jennet that has come into season, so we pastured them together and he doesn't seem to get it! He's real unsure about what to do. He mounts her but he isn't "ready" (if you know what I mean...) and them when he gets off, he becomes ready, but just walks off. Also, he'd rather hang out at the fence with the other two males than around the female, even though she's in heat. We were making jokes that perhaps he has other inclinations.
unsure.gif
He's just three and he hasn't had any experience with the ladies. Will this come in time? He's on good health and he looks great. I just don't think he gets it yet.

Anybody out there with the same issues? Advice is welcome and most appreciated.

Try intervention, hand breed them first then he can't mount her until you see he is ready. Once he gets the drift he will be better in the pasture. Also this way he can't go over and lie to the guys about how good he was behind her back.

Latest posts

Back