New Grey Gene Test is Now Here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
default_smile.png
Just to let everyone know that we finally have a test for horses that can ID Grey Zygosity. Info will be up at our site www.animalgenetics.us later today.

Yay!!!

I have a colt that won't keep me guessing for much longer now!!!

happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I am so glad to hear this! Now we can finally figure out whether horses are grey, blue roan, varnish roan or ???? THANK YOU!
default_biggrin.png

And don't forget sabino roan! I have a black colt from this year, sired by a grey and out of a dam who carries sabino... he's not "greying" like my other greys have at all so now I'm wondering if those white hairs are sabino roan? It's going to be neat to find out for sure w/o having to wait and see if he progresses to grey or not.

Thank you for posting here and letting us know! I appreciate it!
default_smile.png

Glad to let everyone know. It has taken a lot of work to get us to this point. Paperwork and additional information should be up today on Grey, and Champagne is already there. A test for Melanomas associated with the Grey gene is also comming.

Thanks

Arne

What a big break through!

I am just now awaiting a test result for Champagne from your lab. It is the first time I have used this test.

Now something new to test for.

JIll if you are talking Ducky he is graying.

Could someone post a link as to which lab this is? This is such Great NEWS!! It is always nice to know...and now the melanoma thing too? WOW this is wonderful since we have a grey stallion and 2 of his grey offspring!!

Thanks
default_saludando.gif

Could you explain, though, please...this is only a test for zygosity, so it will not tell you if your horse is Grey, only if it is h/Z or H/Z???

JIll if you are talking Ducky he is graying.
I hope he is, but he's not progressing at all. Just white hairs scattered around like my sorrel sabino roan gelding. Now I can find out without having to wait a long time to see it with my own eyes
default_laugh.png
His dam carries sabino. If not for that, I'd also assume it's "just" grey but given the dam and the lack of progression, sabino seems possible (but like I said -- my vote / hope is grey).

Could you explain, though, please...this is only a test for zygosity, so it will not tell you if your horse is Grey, only if it is h/Z or H/Z???
With horses, if they have the gene, it will effect their color, right? So if they inherited it, they are grey... isn't this what the test will tell you? If they carry it (and if they do, it will show eventually)? I may not understand what you're saying / asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_smile.png
Gray (Grey) is a modifier that, over time, causes depigmentation of the colored hairs. Horses born with this modifier are born colored but gradually lose pigmentation and can become mostly white in 6-8 years. The vast majority of white horses are in fact horses that have fully grayed out. The Gray modifier is a fully dominant gene meaning a single copy of the gene will cause a visibly graying effect on the base coat. Horses homozygous for the mutation (GG) showed an increased rate of graying as well as more evenly distributed effects during the final stages of graying then a heterozygous gray horses (Gg). Additional information can be found at http://www.animalgenetics.us/Gray.htm

The site and forms have now been updated with all the info.

Thanks

Arne

Latest posts

Back