New Grey Gene Test is Now Here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you explain, though, please...this is only a test for zygosity, so it will not tell you if your horse is Grey, only if it is h/Z or H/Z???
With horses, if they have the gene, it will effect their color, right? So if they inherited it, they are grey... isn't this what the test will tell you? If they carry it (and if they do, it will show eventually)? I may not understand what you're saying / asking.
So I guess they is saying that one form will gray faster than the other form of gray? I have always heard too that the gray gene is dominate and will eventually turn a dark horse gray if they inherited it. Most of my gray babies exhibit their gray coloring within a few weeks after birth and the black foals born that will turn gray are VERY BLACK as compared to other black foals who tend to be dark grayish black or even brownish black in color at birth. (My gray mare produces only black foals)

So for you Jill, this test will be a great for you little baby you are wondering about! Michelle's mares will produce grays 50% of the time as will my gray mares. A foal that is showing no signs of graying yet out of a gray mare or stallion - that you have a buyer that does not want a gray horse but LOVES your baby you could test it and be assured either way of its potential color? This is great!

Thanks for that Freeland, I suppose if the zygosity is tested along with the mutation that would explain why it is more expensive??

So you know that the horse has Grey and whether it is h/Z or H/Z???

Very useful for Appy breeders and CrCr carriers!

OK, Arne, now a test for Roan, please!!!
default_smile.png

Well, Splash is a pattern not a modifier, so they can look for a pattern and a modifier at the same time.....I just decided that, BTW
default_laugh.png

Thanks for that Freeland, I suppose if the zygosity is tested along with the mutation that would explain why it is more expensive??So you know that the horse has Grey and whether it is h/Z or H/Z???

default_smile.png

Roan, Dunn, Splash, and Appaloosa are the colors that we are currently working on.

Thanks

Arne

Thanks for that Freeland, I suppose if the zygosity is tested along with the mutation that would explain why it is more expensive??So you know that the horse has Grey and whether it is h/Z or H/Z???

default_smile.png
The mutation is the gene - this is a gene test. So by testing for the mutation (gene) the test gives a report of zygosity. All of the equine color gene tests and marker tests report zygosity.

This test is more expensive due to licensing fees. Each time this particular test is run a licensing fee needs to be paid. That's why several of the other color testing labs are not offering the test at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional information can be found at http://www.animalgenetics.us/Gray.htm
The site and forms have now been updated with all the info.

Thanks

Arne

I am just curious can you tell me the demographics of your clients? By that I mean are there more mini/pony breeders using your service or more QH breeders? I am sure you get many from all breeds but wondering where the mini/pony breeders come in as your clientele

Additional information can be found at http://www.animalgenetics.us/Gray.htm
The site and forms have now been updated with all the info.

Thanks

Arne

I am just curious can you tell me the demographics of your clients? By that I mean are there more mini/pony breeders using your service or more QH breeders? I am sure you get many from all breeds but wondering where the mini/pony breeders come in as your clientele
I believe that Mini/pony breeders make up about 20% of our clients from around the world.

Latest posts

Back