New from East TN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilBitsMomma

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! New here from East TN. We currently do not own mini's or horses. Although both hubby and I come from a background of having horses. I use to own a Quarter Horse, as well as showed horses.
I always loved miniature horses though and keep thinking about getting one or two.
So, my daughter who just turned 24 is severly handicapped, in a wheelchair,developmentally delayed,non verbal and medically complex. I have been trying to find activities that she can participate in that will bring her joy. Right now she competes in pageants for special needs girls.And for the most part she enjoys it and we try to go our pace. But there is one mother who Im finding is toxic and causing issues. So we are thinking of trying something else. Which brings me here. We have a good friend that has a miniature horse she shows and she mentioned something about a special needs division. So I am here to learn and explore options and see if this is something we can do. Alot of it depends on many factors of course. One being cost. I know horses are not cheap. We have a half acre and could build a small shed and corral for if we choose to go this route. Would end up with two rather than one as they need company. Or would it be better to lease? If possible? Then of course I've never done driving. I use to ride hunt seat and do training level dressage. So many questions!

Welcome! Minis are definitely cheaper than big horses in terms of day to day expenses (feed, supplements, etc.). Of course they cost the same for vet and farrier care. Board varies widely, but since you'll have them at home, that's not a consideration - but I pay the same rough board for my paddock and shed as my friend next door does for her 17h warmblood. It's also less work, mainly because there is SO much less manure to manage.

As someone who rode for many years and always owned big horses, I found the transition to driving both easy and hard. Easy I think because you know all the general basics already and it's just a matter of learning where all the stuff goes and how to adjust things, and a few safety rules that are different from riding. Hard because the mindset is a little different, and you have a bit less to work with in terms of aids than when you're riding a horse. I would definitely suggest getting a mini that is already well-trained to drive and safe. Mine at least is a very exacting teacher, if somewhat impatient with my shortcomings. :)

Another thing to think about is space for driving - you either need quiet roads or wide, relatively smooth trails/edges of farm fields. You bog down pretty quickly in a sand riding arena.

There's a lot of knowledge here and a lot of people doing all kinds of cool stuff with their minis so hopefully you'll find a lot of help here!

Yeah, you will have toxic people where ever you go and whatever you do.… pageants, showing horses, or whatever. You just have to ignore them and not let them get to you, I know it is hard! 😊

I still have my first biggie. I got him when he was 8 years old and he is now 23! Boy does time fly! If I knew then what I know now I would have gone straight for the miniatures! They steal your heart and soul! They are an absolute joy to be around, I just love them 💕💕 and they are so much easier to handle than the biggies.

Showing can get expensive but they do have a special needs division. If you decide to show, you’ll want to make sure you get a horse that is registered with AMHA and/or AMHR depending on which is popular in your area. There might also be local shows or 4h shows in your area.

Besides showing there are so many other things you can do with minis that you can’t always do with a biggie. Who knows, maybe you could train the mini to become a service animal for your daughter too.

Welcome to the forum. Have you decided now?:)

Welcome! My horse background is similar to yours, though I’ve had minis for a number of decades now, and they have been so much fun! 😊

I agree with the above posts! I also agree that you would want two, as one is definitely a lonely number with horses!

My one thought is that leasing a mini, or a small pony could be an excellent way to see how your daughter enjoys little horses over time, and also give you a chance to explore the potential options before investing in barn, paddock, etc.

I do not know what options are in your area, but in our area, leased horses typically remain on site in their current barn. This has advantages, however, not least of which giving you and your daughter more freedom to play with fewer chores! 😊

Wishing you all the best as you investigate the mini world. Enjoy the different threads and ask all the questions you want anytime! 👍

Latest posts

Back