New foal problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this an absolutely new born that has never gotten it's eyes open? Or a few hours old and the eye lids have become stuck together?

If absolutely new born I'd want a vet to see him and probably would be a good idea anyway.

You might try very gently wiping the eye lids with warm water on soft tissues and see if that softens up whatever is holding them together. I have seen this happen with foals in a dusty environment. Their eyes become quickly irritated and begin to matter which cakes on the lids and sticks them together. Also happens if the mare is shedding and the hair hasn't been removed from her with a curry or by clipping. It gets in baby's eyes.

Also a new foal that isn't nursing well may be dehydrated and the eyelids turn under a bit causing the eyelashes to rub on the cornea. This is serious. You want a vet to, #1 treat the dehydration, #2 check eyes for corneal ulcers and begin treatment if needed.

I hope your foal is better soon.

Charlotte

Did a real fast research and all I found was this and it is on a llama, not a horse, but it indicates the baby was premature and you need a vet asap.......not sure it applies so you can just read it for yourself and see if you think your baby needs the hospital. best wishes

http://books.google.com/books?id=zb9zbY-Jf...0WQLg&hl=en

It is a new born foal and never had its eyes open. Thank you both for the great advice.......It is full term also..

I agree about using a warm wet soft cloth and gently wiping/dabbing the foal's eyes. I would also call your vet.

My friend had a baby born last year. Her eyes stuck together becuase her eye lashes curled under and got gunky. So she had to clean her eyes 3-4 times a day with warm water and a cloth. Eventually the eyelashes curled out and all is good now.

We had a couple of foals born with stuck shut lids the VET gave me some BNP a sterile opthalamic ointment and in 2 days eyes were wide open and clear. l was told never to use tap water on foals eyes..

That's interesting Relic. Why not tap water? Should it be sterile water? could boiled water be used?

Billy G, if the eyes have never opened I would want a vet to evaluate this.

Hope he/she is doing better now.

Charlotte

Billy G

I hope by now you may have had a vet visit and I dont want to scare you but our Helen has eyelids that never opened the reason, she has no eyes. She was born without them. In her case it is a developmental defect and usually when foals are born this way they also have no annus but Helen has all her working parts just no eyes. Pea eyed foals may also be born with the eyelids shut. In Helen's case she simply never developed eyes the optical nerve is there but her eyes arent. Many recommended putting her down which we did not do for many reasons and she is for the most part a normal 2 year old with exception of needing her mom around to guide her. Our choice we could have buddied her with another horse but chose her mom because we never plan to breed her again. Best of luck with your baby and hopefully this isnt the same as Helen but just in case it is wanted you to know its not the end of the world. Helen hasnt had a sick day in her life. She will be 2 in August.

She didn't say why just that it was something l should never use on eyes boiled water cooled was fine with her..l probably think well water in the country might contain other bacterias city water doesn't and with eyes safe is better then sorry.
default_biggrin.png

Back from the vet and all is well. He sedated him and used forceps to pull the lids apart. Looks like nothing was ever wrong now...
default_biggrin.png

Glad to hear that the vet opened them and they are fine now
default_smile.png

I am so glad your baby is fine and doing well thank you so much for the update.

Oh Thank God!! I was worried about that little fella. So glad every thing is alright!

Latest posts

Back