New Foal not pooping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
I have a five day old foal that had 3 nice poops within hours of birth, then nothing(that I had witnessed or found in the stall)the second day, so the third day, I did an emema. Within 5 minutes we had a nice, but hard stool come out.Day 4-nothing . Administered another approx. 6 hrs later,nothing. And I haven't seen any poop today. I am so frustrated, the vet said maybe I am just missing it and her mama could even be eating it.

I have had many foals and never run into this.

The enemas consisted of warm water and a little dish soap given with a baby nose-sucker.(She is just a tiny girl!)

My question is: Is it safe for me to try another enema tonight? How long can a baby go without defecating before there are problems?

If you are not seeing any signs of distress in him, then I would say you are likely just not finding them in the stall. Any foal that is plugged up, will be straining almost constantly, trying to poop without any luck. They will roll, and sleep, and stop nursing. If he is acting normally, then I think you are just missing it.

Ok, thanks Mona!!!! I have been sitting here with emema "in hand" trying to decide what to do. You are right...she is acting normally(although she switches her tail alot). I haven't seen any straining. It's just the weirdest thing...normally(other foals) I end up stepping in it and have it stuck to my shoe! I will be keeping my eye on her. Thank you, thank you.

If she's as tiny as you say, and not in distress; then I'll agree with Mona, its tiny and you are just missing it (or momma is eating it, or the dog).

I had the same problem with my dummy foal but I think it was just that I couldn't find it cos he is now fine and poops regularly. As the others have said if she isn't straining or rolling then she is fine.

Milk is highly digestible and doesn't produce a lot of manure.

If he's acting fine, then he's likely fine.

Dr Taylor

OOPS...SORRY! I missed the part saying she was a filly! I assumed it was acolt I guess because normally it is the boys that have constipation problems within a day or so of birth. Not near as common a problem in fillies.

Latest posts

Back