new foal having some problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
you know when something just doesn't feel right? I am used to the up and robust foals that keep mama busy within the hour and are zoomin around. this little guy is different. I called the Vet and told her what he was doing and all I have been doing...she had a name f 2 or it but..geesh...left me... sorry...anyways...I did get some colostrum down him at around 10 and 11...this last times, if I hold/prop him he actually nursed for a bit...so..as she said as long as progress is forward then we will see. She advised to help him nurse every half hour for the next 12 hours. Mama is sooo good..she even lifted her leg so we could try harder. Vet said it was the opposiite of premature...when they carry so long the foal is motor immature and has to catch up????? He walks right under his mama and lays on his back like a dog does. He is stronger now than he was this morning so keep him in your thoughts. Anybody had this happen?

Could he have been deprived oxygen? Sometimes during birth if they don't get out of the sack or a difficult birth, then they are a little slow to start. I had this happen to a filly. She could get up, but could not nurse....we had to milk the mare and bottle feed her. Unfortunatley we did not have a good outcome, so I wish the best for your little guy. I only thought of this because of you saying he lays on his back like a dog, our filly would do the same thing, roll on her back, and I knew there was something not right when I saw that. Prayers for your little one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the vet say "dismature" (sp?). That's what they used to describe one of my fillies this year but she is doing great now (had to have plasma transfusions, though).

I wonder if it would be good to give him some Kayo syrup a few times to give a boost?

Did the vet say "dismature" (sp?). That's what they used to describe one of my fillies this year but she is doing great now (had to have plasma transfusions, though).

I wonder if it would be good to give him some Kayo syrup a few times to give a boost?

that it!!! I will Pm you if you don't mind

well..its 3 and he finally nursed on his own..just didn't seem long enough for me ..but then I am all stressed at the moment ..still wobbly tho...but a step in the right direction I suppose
default_yes.gif

he still sleeps a lot but is up and vigorously nursing when he is up so that is a GREAT sign...I am so happy I cried like a baby..and he finally pooped....the JOYS of us horse moms..eh?...thank you Jill for helping me through this stressful morning and pointing me in the right direction(((hugs))you are an angel
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

p,s, to add to todays excitement..my little goat went into labor this afternoon and presented us with an adorable little girl!!!

I am so happy that your little one is doing better.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Also congratulations on your brand new "kid".

Jill took the word right out my brain!
default_wink.png
DIS-mature! Frankly I think it's a vet's term for a foal that isn't "immature"......nor is it a dummy, but for whatever reason it isn't "quite right".

Glad he's showing improvement. I'd still have an IGG test done on him, though........just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back