New filly with Interesting color (new pics and info added pg3)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barefootin

Reaction score
Here we go again! Mom just can not say no when a good animal is selling waaay below even meat prices. Obviously neither can I since this time I'm the one that paid for them. The last thing we needed was another horse let alone 6 more. But how can you say no to good stock that is double registered selling all 6 for less than 1k.

Anyway I don't yet have photos of them except for the 1 weanling filly. NC weather and other issues delaying that a bit. Rest assured they will come.

This filly is registered with AMHA as Solid Bay Roan. Errrr....WRONG! Her sire is a very nice classic Buckskin(same sire as our little buckskin stallion). Her dam(who we also bought in this package) is registered as Solid Bay.....again wrong. Mom says she looks more like a super light Buckskin. This mare's sire is registered as Pinto Gray. He has produced according to the registries gray, black, bay, buckskin, palomino, sorrel/chestnut, and roans. I KNOW some of those are wrong as our little Buckskin mare by him is registered as Pinto Gray. As usual very confusing. LOL

So without further ado, here is Jimmy Deans Nut N Stuff

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/jimmy+deans+nut+n+stuff

.elsa1.jpgelsa2.jpgelsa3.jpgelsa4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I cannot wait to see what she looks like in the spring, post clip or shedding. That is some wild pattern/coloring going on there!

hmmm...I am going to take a wild guess and say that the mare is probably a bay that greyed out and that this filly is either a bay or buckskin that is going grey. Looks really neat right now though, will be interesting to see her clipped or shed off

Well, if she IS greying she is doing it atypically. Do you have any more pictures, perhaps of her as a baby??

I can't wait to see her shed out or clipped either. She's very interesting in color and very cute to boot!

I agree with rabbitsfizz, if she is going grey that is not the standard pattern for doing so. Like every one else, I'm curious to see her without the winter wool. My guess is actually that it is the effects of a sabino gene but that's just a guess. Very unique indeed.

I dont see any other signs but could varnish appy cause that ?

I cant seem to find the pics but we have had a couple of grey foals that looked similar to this. Not all grey out the same way but from the way the mane, tail, and face look that is what my best guess is. Color testing would tell for sure

How unusual! Pretty little girl as well. That mane looks like that of one of my dun minis, also reminds me of the Fjord breed - anyone got a pic/s of Fjord foals/youngsters?

Really looking forward to seeing her shed out next year!

All I can think of that would look like that, would be an appy, or a roan. (or both!) How old is this horse? Perhaps it is appy and just has no mottling???

It could be Rabicano, possibly even on Roan, but I don't see true Roan there, and Rabicano could do the body (as could Sabino) but not usually the head.....

Looks sooty palomino to me. Sire is buckskin, so it makes sense.

EDIT: Or sooty buckskin. Both make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
She does look like a varnish roan or appy now. Please update us in the spring after she sheds out. She is cute!

She is a really cool color, I love it !! Congrats on a beautiful girl.

The filly is 6 months old, foaled mid May 2013. The light colored areas, as of right now, are cream colored not white or gray. In person you can see her blaze is different from light color on her forehead. There are no know apps in her background. But that may or may not be really true with look alike or close patterning. I'll have to ask if the dam has any mottling anywhere but I don't think so. I know the filly's sire doesn't. If we still have the filly and her dam when I get my tax return next spring they will definitely be getting color tested.

We are calling her Elsa. She is smart as a whip and just about as wild as a march hare. It's a good thing she is cute right now. We are leaning towards Buckskin as a starting point for her color. For now she makes a very interesting conversation piece.
default_yes.gif

The filly is 6 months old, foaled mid May 2013. The light colored areas, as of right now, are cream colored not white or gray. In person you can see her blaze is different from light color on her forehead. There are no know apps in her background. But that may or may not be really true with look alike or close patterning. I'll have to ask if the dam has any mottling anywhere but I don't think so. I know the filly's sire doesn't. If we still have the filly and her dam when I get my tax return next spring they will definitely be getting color tested.

We are calling her Elsa. She is smart as a whip and just about as wild as a march hare. It's a good thing she is cute right now. We are leaning towards Buckskin as a starting point for her color. For now she makes a very interesting conversation piece.
default_yes.gif

Exactly. I'm not sure why anybody is suggesting grey or appaloosa when knowing her pedigree and having it provided. She's cream with possible sooty.

Is that a dorsal stripe down her back, do you think? With the light in the mane, then the lower part dark, I was wondering dun of some type. With the buckskin in her background possibly dun? Going without seeing a bigger pedigree with color, etc. this is just one more guess. And I am no color/genetic genius.

I'm not sure you can tell, if they truly have a dorsal striped, when they are woolie. Halo has one, when she is all woolie, but it totally disappears when she sheds out. I remember after I got her, late winter, and read about the dorsal stripe and everything, I was so excited, thinking she would have one, then she shed out and it was all gone. Loved her coloring anyway, but she now has that stripe back, due to her winter coat, again.

Latest posts

Back