New Filly ("rescue")

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
Okay so here's the story......

An older couple had a herd of 5 minis that they gave to my boyfriends's parents as they could no longer care for them:

(1) 15 Year old stud, (1) "older" mare with (1) 5 month old stud colt, and (2) 2 year old fillies.

ALL of them lived together in the same pen. The 2 yr. old fillies were bought by the old couple as yearlings and had been in with the stud up until they were given to my boyfriend's parents. They are all separated now and are getting trimmed (they were all SUPER long) and have been dewormed.

I'm taking the Palamino 2 yr. old filly, but leaving her at my boyfriend's parents place until we move into our new place, they live close by so it's very easy for me to care for her.

So this filly, I named her Sunny, was in with a stud for about a year, so I realize she very well could be pregnant. Judging by her belly I'm pretty sure she is in fact pregnant.

I'll post some pictures below so I can get your opinions on whether or not you think she's pregnant and if so how far along do you think she is?

So this is the filly in question, Sunny, 2 yrs. old and about 35.5" tall:

Sunnypregnancy8.jpg

Sunnypregnancy4.jpg

Sunnypregnancy16.jpg

Sunnypregnancy15.jpg

Sunnypregnancy13.jpg

Sunnypregnancy1.jpg

A blood test or ultra sound could tell you for sure but reading the situation and seeing the pictures, I agree with you. I think she's more likely than not pregnant.

Her color is beautiful! Good luck with her and enjoy her.

I am going to say YES she is pregnant. It is really hard to tell when she is due from the pictures but my first guess would be she is around 9 months pregnant. You just have to start checking her every other day for foaling signs and development of the bag.

She is very young to be having a foal but she does look in good health and mature for her age. The stud looks refined and he is smaller than her so that will help.

Good luck!

Hope to see pictures of the new arrival when it gets here.

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep 'em coming!

I really think she's more likely pregnant than not too, she's not fat, you can easily feel her ribs under her fuzzy coat and her backbone and hips are easy to feel as well, she's not horribly thin but not fat either.

I'm feeding her a really good quality grass hay and will be adding in a small amount of alfalfa. I'm also feeding her Omolene 300 (I was going to give her Equine Jr. but the feed stores I know of around here don't carry it anymore), right now I'm just starting her on it so she only gets a tiny amount that I'm working her up on gradually.

What's the daily amount of Omolene 300 I should work her up to?

I live in North Idaho and we are going to be hitting winter here in a couple months, she'll have a nice enclosed foaling stall so she won't have to be burning fat out in the cold. I take her for walks for excersize and to get her used to being handled. I want her nice and gentle before she foals.

I check her for udder development and any changes at least twice a day and spend a lot of time with her while I'm out there, watching her and learning what her "normal" behaviors are so that I can notice any changes. And yes, I'm very relieved that the stud is as refined and small as he is and that she is on the bigger side, as opposed to him being big and her being small and refined.

Congrats they are both beautiful and I love daddies head. She does look preggy to me and I would guestimate around 9 months too. Although a tad thin they both look great.

I will definately keep you guys posted! And yes, each of the minis from this group is thin, they are now all separated so they can be fed properly to get their weight up.

If she is pregnant I would keep her on Omelene 300 because that is for pregnant mares and growing foals. Since she is so young and still growing and pregnant, Omelen 300 would help cover all her nutritional needs.

The amount you give her depends on if she is an easy keeper or not. Most of my mares are up to around 2 cups twice a day by the last trimester.

All the hay they want to eat, and a daily vitamins.

Beet pulp is also very good for her.

Did you get any paperwork on them? If so I would get it all processed as it looks as if you are not long from having an addition to the family!

I hope she is in foal for next year, but I do actually doubt that- how are you fixed for a Christmas baby
default_rolleyes.gif

Just form the horses perspective, I should like to thank you for caring enough to get involved in all this, it is never easy taking on someone else's mess, however innocently it was made.

I would also like to commend the couple that gave their babies up- so many people hang on far too long.....

Did you get any paperwork on them? If so I would get it all processed as it looks as if you are not long from having an addition to the family!

I hope she is in foal for next year, but I do actually doubt that- how are you fixed for a Christmas baby
default_rolleyes.gif

Just form the horses perspective, I should like to thank you for caring enough to get involved in all this, it is never easy taking on someone else's mess, however innocently it was made.

I would also like to commend the couple that gave their babies up- so many people hang on far too long.....

Nope, no paperwork on any but possibly the stud, but I don't know if they've found it or not.

I too was hoping for a next year foal but I really don't think she'll hold out that long. A Christmas baby will have to do
default_rolleyes.gif

Well thanks, I care a lot about horses and would like to help them all but I know that's not possible
default_smile.png
So I help out when I can. And yes, I was glad that the couple gave them up when they did, more people need to realize when they can't care for what they have.

Shoot. Looking at your lovely little filly's belly makes me think that every mare in my paddock should have foaled last week and not a stallion within cooee and never has been.
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

She looks really sweet. I hope all goes well with her.

Alright, I've got a an appointment with the vet for an ultrasound on Friday around 1:00pm or 1:30pm. So after that I'll know for sure whether or not we have a bun in the oven and possibly a rough estimate of how far along she is if she is pregnant!
default_smile.png
I decided I wanted to know for sure if she was pregnant and if she is about how far along would be nice to know so I'm not completely guessing. So I'll let you guys all know what we find (if anything) on Friday after her appointment!
default_smile.png

So you guys can have a guessing game for fun and on friday I'll letcha know what the vet says!
default_smile.png

So......

Pregnant?: Yes or No

If Yes: How far along would you guess???

I agree with the others, pregnant and around 9 months along.
default_yes.gif
Lucky for her and that little one they will ahve a snug barn when the time comes. Good for you
default_aktion033.gif

Anxious to hear what you find from the ultrasound at the vet on Friday. Will be really good for you to know an estimated time since she is so young and it is her first. They are both really nice looking horses. It will be fun to see what color you end up with when she foals. Congrats and have fun!

What a pretty little filly! Although she's only two, she does at least look nicely mature for her age, and with her size and the stud's type and build, she should be fine to foal.

I'm guessing end of January.
default_yes.gif

Good luck and well done for helping out with these little ones too. Looking forward to hearing what the vet says.

Latest posts

Back