New filly need help on color!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
This little filly was born on June 19th 2014 her mom is a chestnut paint and stallion unknown was just wondering what color is she considered and what she might turn out? Thanks
default_smile.png

IMG_20140624_095731.jpg

IMG_20140624_095155.jpg

IMG_20140622_124935.jpg

IMG_20140624_095243.jpg

IMG_20140621_113815.jpg

Got a pic of mommy

Baby looks gray

But almost looks like momma is a silver bay pinto instead of chestnut...

Here is momma
default_smile.png
her previous foal looks like her now not the same color what so ever. . Witch is why i was wondering
default_smile.png
3rd is previous foal and then little baby ruby
default_smile.png

IMG_20140624_095757.jpg

IMG_20140624_095630.jpg

post-45186-0-93736800-1400418424_thumb.jpeg

post-45186-0-71231300-1403657222.jpeg

She started off with a dark brown colored but it faded away and now like u guys said she looks grey/silver... quite curious on how she will turn out as shes a very pretty paint
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking silver black for the foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You had posted other pics of the mare before she foaled that made me think she was silver bay, not chestnut, and filly looks silver black to me, too.

You can go thru many posts here that demonstrate different shades of silver bay and silver black.

Here's a pic of a colt that we own that IS NOT chestnut... Both his parents are tested homozygous black and sire never sired a "red" foal... Dandy is a homozygous black, silver bay tobiano (also homozygous for Tobiano)... He has a single bay gene from his dam and a single silver gene from his sire. If he EVER completely sheds out this summer, I will post new pics of him. This one is from December 2013 and he is 4 months old. The only "proof" or sign of silver is that "spritz" of "smoke" (flaxen!!) in his forelock and bridlepath area and the "smoke" around the outside of his ears. When his bridle path is clipped, a lot of it will disappear. His other points are hidden by white markings. The ear/bp shot was taken just hours after his birth.

13dec28dand717.jpg
13aug31danD096.jpg

Currently we own 13 silver blacks - some pinto (1 with overo characteristics), 2 silver bay pintos, 1 solid silver buckskin (not tested) and 1 solid smokey silver black (not tested)... We've also had a few others over the years - you can see many pics of them here with color changes thru the seasons from birth to now...

PurplePaint Pony Gallery

The solid silvers are: Ami, Bell, Bit, KoKo

The "painted" silver blacks: Bunny, Classy, Cupid, Flashi, GG, Koalah, Rio, Shamrock, Stuffy,

The "other" silvers are: silver bay - Dandy and Flower; smokey silver black - Ranger; silver buckskin - Taff.

ALSO - Iggy, Rocket and Wyndy are silver black tobianos. Iggy was our silver black tobiano stallion that sired all of our silver foals except for Ranger and GG. For us, he only sired one colt that did not have a silver gene - Rocket's full brother, Comet. We no longer own Iggy, Comet, Rocket or Wyndy.

The easiest way to prove to yourself what color your baby and your mare are is to have them tested. We use Animal Genetics out of Florida - we get the tests back via email w/i 48 hours and usually have the paper copies w/i a week of sending in our samples. There are several other genetics companies that test for silver as well. Otherwise, just enjoy them!!

The filly is really cute and I look forward to seeing how your mare thrives under your care now that you own her.

Thanks that was really helpful
default_smile.png
You're welcome.

In case you can't tell - I love our silvers!! IN all their various shades. Some folks that come out say we just have "ugly tan ponies" - but I don't agree, LOL.

13apr9ponies112.jpg

I hope not to lose the silver gene when I cross our two bay tobiano jr stallions on the silver and silver spot mares that I retained. BUT don't know when I will be breeding again either - with 26 head currently, we are full...

THANK YOU.

I don't have any good group shots with them shed out. Right now would be ideal - they are already starting to "bleach out" (fade) with sweating here in the sunlight and heat.

Latest posts

Back